E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > I-Drive Crash

09-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Thumbs down I-Drive Crash

Ever since we bought the 2006 E90, this problem has occurred more than enough times.

When we start up the car, I-Drive often pops-up to warn us about highway safety and blah-blah-blah. But, sometimes when you start it up you get a blank screen. You can hear the speakers making some popping noise and simultaneously the screen will flash white, then go back to blank. When this is going on you can't use anything tied to I-Drive: radio, cd player, navigation, all those goodies.

We took it to the dealer to get it fixed and all they did was update the software. A few weeks later it came back.

Right now there's really no way of fixing it. It's an on-off thing. Some days it'll hate you and some days it doesn't. Turning off the car and turning it back on doesn't cure it either. It often takes a night for it to come back to normal.

Anyone know what the problem is? The dealership was no help to us at all.

EDIT: BTW, I did do a search before any of you start spamming links at me. I've read them and while some are similar, mine only crashes at ignition, not while driving or using the radio or having the system connected to an incompatible mobile phone. But, would that also mean if I'm having similar problems, that I would have to get the whole navigation system replaced? And is that under warranty? Warranty ends in 4 days for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Alec693
BMWholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Equinox 1LT AWD

Garage List
Well, here's my feedback, I work at the install garage in Best Buy and usually when someone brings us a radio or any in-dash system that flickers like your I-Drive it is usually the grounding of the system. If you know how to, proceed to remove the system and make sure (if you can) that the ground is a good one, if not have a professional do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
E90xi
"BOSS"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325xi Black Sapphire

I had the same problem with my I-Drive/Navi. I took it into my BMW dealer and they installed several programs on my car. There was something wrong because the Service Advisor told me that their computer wouldn't even read my key to tell them about any needed services. Make sure that they have done all of the possible programs and not just one. A program can take several hours, and they tend to get lazy at times. Just take it back into the dealer and tell them it still isn't right.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
typeszh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90xi View Post
I had the same problem with my I-Drive/Navi. I took it into my BMW dealer and they installed several programs on my car. There was something wrong because the Service Advisor told me that their computer wouldn't even read my key to tell them about any needed services. Make sure that they have done all of the possible programs and not just one. A program can take several hours, and they tend to get lazy at times. Just take it back into the dealer and tell them it still isn't right.

Has the problem ever replicated itself again?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

So I took in the car for service today and the mechanic said that an "IBS sensor" was disconnected/loose and all they did was plug it back in, do a diagnostic test, wash it up, and give it back to me.

We'll see if it happens again. I just think it's the mechanics being lazy again.
Appreciate 0