E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > car limped and runs horrible

04-08-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
gian335
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335

car limped and runs horrible

so too make the story as short as I can... got my new procede v3 REV 2 installed yesterday and everything went pretty smooth, it ran good for the day, until tonite . I try to connect the computer to the procede so i can download new maps and activate the o2 sims for my dp's. Well we couldnt reset the procede settings, so we unconected my baterry and reconeted it to try and reset it, but still no luck. I couldnt connect 2 the procede.

so i say forget it and I start my car and pretty much every warning light comes and i got long cranks and the car runs like crap and will only run for about 20 sec. before it just shuts off. The car ran fine yesterday and today, never had an issue with the car. untill i tried conecting with the rev2.

I know shiv is a very busy guy, i e-mailed him already. Anybody ever have the same issue?

maybe it was the install, or a loose wire. any body witha v3...chime in.

car- 08 335, pre-29.2, 34000 km.
mods- fmic, dp's, dci
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

It could be a HPFP issue but better to trouble shoot more than that.

If i understand correctly you installed the v3 with the pre-installed firmware and maps pre-loaded by Vishnu and you car ran correctly?

You then connected your laptop with the procede reader software to the serial port and now your car runs like a dog?

I would surmise from the above that you may have loaded the wrong firmware (or had a firmware failure) or the wrong map was loaded that did not match the firmware version.

Did you maybe load a CANbus forware without having the CANbus harness?

So check if your harness is CANbus labeled, if so when did you get it as you might need to swap some wires if it was an early one. If it's not got a CANbus label and you loaded CANbus firmware and maps (and or loaded the CANbus firmware and maps without swapping the pins on the early harness) then that's probably your issue and you need to load the earlier firmware and maps &/or swap the pins.

In terms of tech support Shiv can be hard to get a hold of so fill in the tech call back for on their web site and at the same time email dustin@vishnu....... as he is good with install issues etc & responds in a timely manner.

Alternatively remove the v3 and return to stock, that should at least get your car drivable while you wait for tech support.

Cheers,

S
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition MT Hoc

As stated above,

Make sure you update the Firmware 1.8 first (with the engine off)

Then reload the CANbus map

Turn the ignition (but don't turn on the car), press the gas for 1 second, get the 1/2 engine light, then press the gas again to clear all codes and you should be good to go.

If this does not work, there may be a pinched wire in the ECU harness...

Another possibility is to enable valet mode which bypasses the Proceed to make sure its not a software issue...

PM or email Shiv, he is out of town so it might take him a while to respond.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

This assumes he has the CANbus harness with the pins correctly placed, earlier versions had them arse about so the firmware will cause issues, also the code clearing will not work if CANbus is not enabled / wired or running the correct firmware.

If CANbus is 100% correct and harness is verified, as per my earlier response then firmware version 107 or 108 will work.

If not 100% on CANbus then firmware 105 or 106 (if 106 exists) would be the best bet.

But to be really sure gian335 should fill in the tech call back form on the vishnu site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
As stated above,

Make sure you update the Firmware 1.8 first (with the engine off)

Then reload the CANbus map

Turn the ignition (but don't turn on the car), press the gas for 1 second, get the 1/2 engine light, then press the gas again to clear all codes and you should be good to go.

If this does not work, there may be a pinched wire in the ECU harness...

Another possibility is to enable valet mode which bypasses the Proceed to make sure its not a software issue...

PM or email Shiv, he is out of town so it might take him a while to respond.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

I believe Shiv was traveling yesterday so you may have just caught him in transition - he should respond to you soon.

But for troubleshooting, I'd double check your connections to make sure your harness is fully seated or did not come loose (doubt it). You can put the car back to stock to validate if the issue is still happening and that would validate if the HPFP is the culprit and you are just a victim of bad timing.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

As was said above, this sounds like it could be related to the CANbus harness if you have one. Double check - does it have a label on the harness that says "Procede CANbus"? And if so, does it have a plus sign next to it? If it doesn't then you need to switch a few wires.
      04-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

I did the install for him (Yes hard to believe I know) LOL but Marco is a good guy and I was happy to help.

The install went smooth in terms of the Procede, but running the USB cable into the glovebox was a nightmare as we had to basically remove the entire ECU/harnesses, connection, etc. Once we finally fished through the USB cable and put everything back together the car started and ran great.

We tried to connect to the Proceed after the install but couldn't get the drivers working properly for the USB/Serial cable and it was getting late, so basically gave up for the night and he left with the preloaded maps/settings which I believe did not have the proper o2 sim settings, which was the major reason we tried to configure them right after the install.

The connection issue after the install was purely due to lack of the proper drivers.

I didn't check to see if it was the new CanBus Proceed but he did JUST receive it so I would imagine it was the latest and greatest.

If he can't get it resolved today I think I will swing by tonight and remove it for him and see what happens with the car.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
I had the same problem with my car, when I was getting limp modes due to a misfire I decided to check and make sure my firmware was up to date. I did get the unit with everything preloaded which was 108 firmware and 2-19 stage 1 map.

Shiv called me to help me fix the problem so I'm sure you just caught him at a bad time, but basically I unplugged the usb from the comp, unplugged the battery so the ecu hard resets, reloaded the usb drivers (this is probably critical to make sure it works). Then reload the firmware following the online instructions on how to do it. Make sure you load the 108 firmware if you have CANbus (found in the CANbus how to) the mistake I made was 2-19 zip file had a firmware file but it was the 107 which is not for CANbus and will trigger a ton of CEL/SES/Codes.

As long as you have 108 Firmware + CANbus you can run either the 2-19 maps or the CANbus beta maps.

Good luck and i'm sure someone from Vishnu will get back to you soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I did the install for him (Yes hard to believe I know) LOL but Marco is a good guy and I was happy to help.

The install went smooth in terms of the Procede, but running the USB cable into the glovebox was a nightmare as we had to basically remove the entire ECU/harnesses, connection, etc. Once we finally fished through the USB cable and put everything back together the car started and ran great.

We tried to connect to the Proceed after the install but couldn't get the drivers working properly for the USB/Serial cable and it was getting late, so basically gave up for the night and he left with the preloaded maps/settings which I believe did not have the proper o2 sim settings, which was the major reason we tried to configure them right after the install.

The connection issue after the install was purely due to lack of the proper drivers.

I didn't check to see if it was the new CanBus Proceed but he did JUST receive it so I would imagine it was the latest and greatest.

If he can't get it resolved today I think I will swing by tonight and remove it for him and see what happens with the car.

Mike
Awesome.

Running the USB cable can be a bitch until you get just the right angle. I sat there trying to figure out where the hole went for a while and finally just shoved a hangar down there then it was very clear where it came out.

Anyway - if he got the CANbus unit without the wires switched, but running 108 Firmware, it could cause this. Or, if he got the unit with the wires switched, but running the old firmware, perhaps it could cause this too.

So the course of action should be: check to see if the harness says Canbus on it. If so, see if it has a + sign. That means the wires are "activated." If it does have a +, load the 108 firmware on it.

If it doesn't have a + sign, find the thread with the install instructions, changing the wires is a 10 second job. Then make sure it's running 108.

If it's none of those, perhaps its just a stupid installer. Just kidding. I'm out of ideas if it still happens - but I'm sure Shiv or Dustin will chime in with much better advice.
      04-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #10
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

you dont need to remove the ECU to run the usb cable, just helps if you lift it a bit.
      04-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I had a similar problem when I first bought my Rev. II. Installed it for the very first time and got a instant half check engine lamp and stored DTC's. The car would start everytime but would run for like a 2 seconds and die. Sent it back to Shiv and he called me acouple days later stating that it was because the files got corrupted somehow. He just programed with a new firmware and sent it back to me. I installed it again and it worked out real good!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #12
gian335
Major
Rep

i just got my REV 2 last week friday, and it has canbus on the harness. It was pre loaded with STG.1, AT, NON-doomsday. The main problem was I couldnt reset the procede, so I was unable to even load any new firmware to procede. I then start the car and it just runs so bad.

It's weird how it was working fine and now it will barely stay on.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #13
gian335
Major
Rep

i highly doubt it could be a problem with the car, since i had jb2 and jb3 before and not 1 CEL. My car is an everyday driver and there were no signs of HPFP failure 2 begin wih.

I also BT scanned my car and I only got the catalytic converter code that showed up, cause the o2 simms werent activated. no other codes which is weird, considering my cluster was throwing codes at me every 2 sec....engine, tpms, car on the hoist light.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #14
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Pretty simple fix. Since the problem started after you tried to update firmware, we can assume that the problem is there.

Two questions:

1) Does the Harness say "PROcede CANbus X" on it? Or just "PROcede CANbus"?

The answer to that will tell u what firmware you should be running. Due to the CANbus functionality we added to the software, firmware and harness, it's important that you run the right firmware. If you just go the unit from us, it should already have the correct firmware loaded (which is why it worked just fine when you first installed it).

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #15
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gian335 View Post
i highly doubt it could be a problem with the car, since i had jb2 and jb3 before and not 1 CEL. My car is an everyday driver and there were no signs of HPFP failure 2 begin wih.

I also BT scanned my car and I only got the catalytic converter code that showed up, cause the o2 simms werent activated. no other codes which is weird, considering my cluster was throwing codes at me every 2 sec....engine, tpms, car on the hoist light.
This really sounds a lot like what was happening to people who had the CANbus firmware without the CANbus wires switched. Go watch the video and make sure your colors line up. If there is no + after "Procede Canbus" on the label you need to do this, or you will experience what sounds like exactly what you are talking about.

Edit: My bad - listen to Shiv! I'm just guessing.
      04-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #16
luca335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 335I Sedan

Gian335 is my bro. The car also smelled bad when he started it as well. Could that be a hpfp failure as well ? Also the bt didn't store any codes as well. Weird
      04-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #17
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luca335i View Post
Gian335 is my bro. The car also smelled bad when he started it as well. Could that be a hpfp failure as well ?
Unlikely. Just please provide the info I asked for and I'll tell you guys what to do. He just loaded up the wrong firmware by the sounds of it. Without the correct firmware, the PROcede won't reset after the update and it stays in stand-by mode. This will create all sorts of signal interruptions and will cause the car to drive poorly (if at all). Easy fix though.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #18
gian335
Major
Rep

When the procede came, it said procede canbus x on the harness that I know for a fact
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #19
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gian335 View Post
When the procede came, it said procede canbus x on the harness that I know for a fact
Okay... then it was already CANbus functional and pre-loaded with the latest firmware. Was there a reason why you tried to update it again?

To bring it back to life just update to the CANbus firmware (#108) found here:
http://www.vishnutuningforum.com/for...00&postcount=2

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #20
gian335
Major
Rep

I wanted to adjust the o2 simms cause I had dp's, I also wanted to try the new stg.3 beta. So this firmware that u linked for me shiv, will bring it back 2 normal.....

I'm really not the most familiar with the procede that 4 sure..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #21
gt3fever
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, G87

I have the same problem as you. I got my rev2 yesterday but updated wrong firmware, and the ecu gone into boot mode.
Try to load canbus firmware first then upload the map.
Appreciate 0