E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 335xi Problems on Cold Weather Startup

12-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: SQ5

Exclamation 335xi Problems on Cold Weather Startup

Hello All,

I posted about this last year but got no response. The problem is cropping up more often now so I thought I would give it a second chance on the forum.

Here is the problem. SOMETIMES, when I turn the car on I get a DSC error and a start brake error. While these errors are present, I lose the following functions:

Cruise Control

Dynamic Traction Control

Start Brake - Im auto and dont use the start brake so I am not sure if it is actually turned off

Dynamic Xenon Lights - Lights turn normally under 30km but over that speed they go all the way to the right and stay there.

I find this happens when I park my car outside. The problem seems to be made worse if I park my car on unlevel ground. Sometimes it even throws the error when I park it overnight in an attached garage.

If I warm the car up, it sometimes goes away. Sometimes not. I can drive down the road for 30 mins and turn the car off and it goes away SOMETIMES, but most of the time it doesn't.

Emailed my SA and she said that the sensor is finnicky and malfunctions if I get ice or snow on it. My car is a CPO but not sure if the sensor is under warrenty.

Any Xi's out there have this problem?

I really bought the vehicle to be safe on the highway so when my cruise control and dct is constantly being turned off it's kinda annoying.
Attached Images

Last edited by E90Brad; 12-12-2011 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Used the word sometimes 16 times, toned it down to read above 5th grade level.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Eko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

if you dont know if it is under warranty, you could start by asking your SA? haha
      12-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Kruz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Very strange...not sure if Im following you as I have no issues here. I think the stuck xenons are a separate issue altogether.

Is "Start brake" = emergency brake?

What sensor is the SA referring to?
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I did contact my SA. I have a great one at Calgary BMW. She asked me to come in for diagnosis and then we would find out if the part is under warranty. Im reluctant.

I use the dealer as a last resort. The one near me isn't great and I always worry that they are going to fuck me somehow.

Last time I went into the dealership to have the clockspring replaced I picked the car up and immediately get a 30FF because my wastegates actuators were toast. I had no actuator or low boost symptoms before I took the car in. I won't come right out and say it but I've never heard of actuators going during the two day period when a car is parked at the BMW dealership. Anyways, they replaced my turbos with new turbos and gave me an x1 to drive around for a week.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
Very strange...not sure if Im following you as I have no issues here. I think the stuck xenons are a separate issue altogether.

Is "Start brake" = emergency brake?

What sensor is the SA referring to?
Start brake is the brake that prevents you from rolling backwards on a hill from a stop.

The dynamic xenons work flawlessly when the errors are not present. They are for sure part of the error.

I am also confused on what 'sensor' governs these functions. Ill paste what my SA said when I reported the problem to her:

Our lovely road conditiona can cause several false warnings to come on. As all these systems (4x4, dsc, flat tire monitor, cruise control, e brake etc) use input from the wheel speeds sensors, if there is a "tire slip" situation (ie ice on the road) it can make all these systems think there is a problem, when in reality, all is ok. Do let me know if they return and stay on though, as I want to make sure you are safe!

I told her I would keep an eye on the problem but now that it is happening more frequent I'd like to do something about it. If it was a quick fix I'd do it myself but I am thinking I might be the only one with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Eko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

I too worry dealers will F you, but I would still bring the car in and see if they can diagnose a problem..do you have mods they could blame? they do have to ask you for your permission to work on the car, just make sure you tell your SA you only want a diagnosis and nothing else... im surprised you have waited a year! i would not be comfortable with my car if it had errors like that
      12-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eko View Post
I too worry dealers will F you, but I would still bring the car in and see if they can diagnose a problem..do you have mods they could blame? they do have to ask you for your permission to work on the car, just make sure you tell your SA you only want a diagnosis and nothing else... im surprised you have waited a year! i would not be comfortable with my car if it had errors like that
Just during the cold winter months, in the summer all systems are go and these errors never show up. Im like you, if there is something wrong with the car I feel like a wounded animal until I get it fixed.

I just have a dci in right now, other than that the car is bone stock minus lux and a perf wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Def a sensor... Problem is they charge you out the a.. Just to plug it into the diagnostic.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
E90Brad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

It's was a speed sensor. I'll post the read out from the dealer when Im not so lazy. At first they thought it was an actuator in the front transfer case so I got that replaced (under warranty) as well
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 n54 & n55 / e46 330ci DD

this is weird, everytime i do subwoofer or speaker work in my e90 and i disconect the battery and a few other things i get these errors to but they go away after a couple miles of driving. not sure whats up in ur case. maybe the battery? its a wild guess.
Appreciate 0