E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Mystery Limp Mode!

08-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
jmason0316
Ben Der Done Dat
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Angry Mystery Limp Mode!

This issue has boggled my mind for more than a couple months. My 07 AT 335i has been going into Limp mode at random times. Sometimes when I am accelerating fast and others when I am just gradually accelerating or cruising at a set speed. It has reoccurred more since the weather has gotten hotter. I do have a SSTT but it occurs whether the chip is installed or not. I have recently noticed it occurring at or around 2000rpms. Turning the car off and right back on immediately clears the error. I have used a code scanner and monitored the engine and got all normal indications. Even when the limp mode happens, the scanner does not recognize a code. I am stationed in Italy and returning to the States soon so it will be awhile until I can get to a dealer . Please advise.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason0316 View Post
This issue has boggled my mind for more than a couple months. My 07 AT 335i has been going into Limp mode at random times. Sometimes when I am accelerating fast and others when I am just gradually accelerating or cruising at a set speed. It has reoccurred more since the weather has gotten hotter. I do have a SSTT but it occurs whether the chip is installed or not. I have recently noticed it occurring at or around 2000rpms. Turning the car off and right back on immediately clears the error. I have used a code scanner and monitored the engine and got all normal indications. Even when the limp mode happens, the scanner does not recognize a code. I am stationed in Italy and returning to the States soon so it will be awhile until I can get to a dealer . Please advise.
You would need a BT scanner to read those extended codes. Drop SSTT an email I'm sure they will help you.

Mike

****COMBOS AND CRAZY DEALS!! - CLICK HERE!!****
N54 Catless Downpipes - 349.00 Shipped!! EVOLUTION RACEWERKS SPRING SALE 15-20% OFF + Free Ship PURE TURBOS - ON SALE + Free Shipping! JB4 SALE!! $50.00 OFF (IN STOCK) + FREE SHIP
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
bradtm
Rep

I went in for Service for this same issue. They couldn't figure it out and said they need more time. I take it back on the 11th. A 1/2 engine light will come on randomly. I notice it sometimes comes on when I slowly accelerate between 30-40 mph, but it's come on on the freeway cruising at 70 mph too. Like I said it's completely random. When I took it in about 2 months ago for a scheduled service, the issue just started. They said it was a faulty sensor, but a week later it returned. Hopefully they figure it out on the 11th!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
ulises 335i
these cars waste alot of fucking gas
Rep
Drives: 335i montego blue

I get a limp when I activate cruise at 75
      08-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
bradtm
Rep

BMW Engineer time...

Update.. day 2 of service for CEL

Just to see if anyone else has had this happen. My car is currently in service and they are keeping it for a second night. They can't figure out why my CEL comes on randomly, and are unable to reproduce it. There are no other codes as to why it happened or what to fix. Now they are calling a BMW Engineer who they say covers California and will see what he wants to do with the vehicle. Maybe he'll come and take a look at it? Dunno.

The car runs fine, except for the random limp modes. This is the second time in a month it's been in for this problem and I can't imagine it's the HPFP since I'm sure they've dealt with many of those already and can identify if that's the case. It's a little worrisome that the code thrown doesn't have any additional information as to why it is happening.

brad
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

What's the fault code? I have had the same issue on my 535, random. Happened once when I was driving home, was a little warm out, bumper to bumper, then 50-70 mph. Came on when I was going to pass someone, but the car didnt feel that "limp"y. Hooked it up to the BT, had a code, but I cant remember what it was. Didnt seem too serious and frankly I chalked the whole thing up to a little heat soak. Happened again today so I'll make sure when I hook up the BT I dont clear the fault without doing a little investigating first. Never happened on the 335.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
booch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

this was happening to me before my exhaust VANOS solenoid was replaced. not necessarily saying that was the cause though.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 03:06 AM   #8
bradtm
Rep

I don't have the code that was thrown but I'll ask them. Currently don't have a scanner, but when I get the car back I'll definately be doing my own diagnostic on it. I'll be sure to bring up VANOS to them and prod them in that direction.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
vladster
Private First Class
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 ci

I'm having same issues for the past 20000 km, they just can't figure it out. Once they told me i had rust on my knock sensor and they replaced it, was fine for 1 month, but now it is back again. Had it in for like 5 times now
Appreciate 0