E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > eBay CF interior trim kit - any experience?

04-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
blacktar
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92

eBay CF interior trim kit - any experience?

Anybody heard/purchased or seen these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber...-/230900889586

I can't gauge how legit they seem and the seller barely speaks Engrish.

Anybody here have any pointers?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktar View Post
Anybody heard/purchased or seen these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber...-/230900889586

I can't gauge how legit they seem and the seller barely speaks Engrish.

Anybody here have any pointers?
I dont think this is replacement trim, rather its a "cover" which goes on top of your existing trim. If thats what you are looking for, then it looks ok...but if you are expecting replacement trim, this doesnt appear to be such.
      04-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
blacktar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsac25 View Post
I dont think this is replacement trim, rather its a "cover" which goes on top of your existing trim. If thats what you are looking for, then it looks ok...but if you are expecting replacement trim, this doesnt appear to be such.
Agreed, that's what I managed to extract from the translations.

I can't find a decent replacement kit that is NOT BMW performance. Those are 2k plus.

Shrugs. I'm just at a cross roads. No idea where else to look. Saw the horror story of the wrap job on here gone wrong. Bimmian only sells M kits.

Ugh. First world problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Looks ok, but it's an overlay kit so fit will almost never be perfect. It's like the exterior mirror caps made in CF. The ones that overlay are never perfect, it's like 95%, but there are little issues. On a mirror cover it's not as big of a deal, but if these pieces are even a few mm off in places, it will look terrible. Just look at the pic of the shifter cover, the cutout for the display is off.

At $670 shipped, you could spend a little more and get a shop to overlay your pieces in real CF. There was even a member here selling a full set of CF wrapped trim for ~$900 or so and that was with the trim. He's since sold them but that should give you a comparison point. For this kind of money I'd rather not gamble. And he's in HK so good luck returning it if there are issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
blacktar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Looks ok, but it's an overlay kit so fit will almost never be perfect. It's like the exterior mirror caps made in CF. The ones that overlay are never perfect, it's like 95%, but there are little issues. On a mirror cover it's not as big of a deal, but if these pieces are even a few mm off in places, it will look terrible. Just look at the pic of the shifter cover, the cutout for the display is off.

At $670 shipped, you could spend a little more and get a shop to overlay your pieces in real CF. There was even a member here selling a full set of CF wrapped trim for ~$900 or so and that was with the trim. He's since sold them but that should give you a comparison point. For this kind of money I'd rather not gamble. And he's in HK so good luck returning it if there are issues.
Good info. Makes sense. Yeah, I have the mirror covers, I know exactly what you mean.

I guess I'll ponder it more. The only real sign of relief I have is his reviews on similar products.

Thanks for your advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
roll_the_dice
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 EBII

Garage List
Quote:
Good info. Makes sense. Yeah, I have the mirror covers, I know exactly what you mean.

I guess I'll ponder it more. The only real sign of relief I have is his reviews on similar products.

Thanks for your advice.
Definitely don't do the covers for the trim. You can get away with it more on the mirrors, but the trim, IME looks like it would be weird...there would be gaps between the start/stop button and vents with the covers too, I would think
Drives: 2011 Porsche 958, 1965 Chevy C10, 1988 Porsche 944 Sold:2010 e90 Montego Blue, 2013 F30 EBII, 2013 Tangerine Scream Ford Focus ST, 2006 Mini R50,2004 VW Touareg, 2012 Camaro Convertible, 2008 Porsche 911 Convertible, 2007 Corvette, 2004 BMW e64 convertible, 2000 Dodge Dakota, 1999 Ford F150, 1999 Porsche Boxster, 1999 Ferrari Modena, 1992 BMW e36, 1990 Nissan 240sx, 1979 Celica, 1974 Mustang II
My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #7
blacktar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Definitely don't do the covers for the trim. You can get away with it more on the mirrors, but the trim, IME looks like it would be weird...there would be gaps between the start/stop button and vents with the covers too, I would think
Noted and PMed.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Quote:
Agreed, that's what I managed to extract from the translations.

I can't find a decent replacement kit that is NOT BMW performance. Those are 2k plus.

Shrugs. I'm just at a cross roads. No idea where else to look. Saw the horror story of the wrap job on here gone wrong. Bimmian only sells M kits.

Ugh. First world problems.
Theres a FS/WTB/WTT thread on here where people post up looking for trades. Maybe you can find something there if you are lucky?

I wouldnt be afraid of vinyl. I had my shadowline vinyl wrapped by a local reputable tint shop and its pretty damn good. Plus, people say its not hard to vinyl wrap yourself, just need to be patient and use a heatgun/hair dryer. My plan is to get my trim wrapped in 4D carbon fiber. Should be too costly ($150-$200 i assume).
      04-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
blacktar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsac25 View Post
Theres a FS/WTB/WTT thread on here where people post up looking for trades. Maybe you can find something there if you are lucky?

I wouldnt be afraid of vinyl. I had my shadowline vinyl wrapped by a local reputable tint shop and its pretty damn good. Plus, people say its not hard to vinyl wrap yourself, just need to be patient and use a heatgun/hair dryer. My plan is to get my trim wrapped in 4D carbon fiber. Should be too costly ($150-$200 i assume).
Yeah, I browsed it for a few days and nothing really popped at me.

The vinyl seems OK, but I already have "real" CF parts on the interior and the contrast/texture/look just clashes and kills my OCD.

In addition, I park outside, so I am really nervous on what time and the Sun will do.

I actually spoke with Roll the dice, from above via PM and I am very comfortable with his work. I think I'm going to toss him the business. Especially since he is local, it makes me feel a bit better.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions, looks like you guys saved me on this.
Appreciate 0