E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Anyone think of moving out of new york?

05-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #23
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

grass is always greener on the other side.

not in NYC, wanna move there.

in nyc, wanna move away.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #24
ogun
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
grass is always greener on the other side.

not in NYC, wanna move there.

in nyc, wanna move away.
+1

If you've never made a move and lived elsewhere, be prepared for a shock especially moving out of NY tri-state area.
One of the things that will absolutely floor you is the lack of cultural activities elsewhere. For this there is no place like the tri-state. You'll find people kinder, gentler, more civil elsewhere but you'll miss the cultural options NY tri-state has to offer even if you don't avail yourself, the options are there.

A bigger house for less pales besides having nowhere to go, nothing to do. The sameness of warmer climes gets boring after a while.

Take it from one who's done it at least 3 times. NY is the BOMB!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #25
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogun View Post
+1

If you've never made a move and lived elsewhere, be prepared for a shock especially moving out of NY tri-state area.
One of the things that will absolutely floor you is the lack of cultural activities elsewhere. For this there is no place like the tri-state. You'll find people kinder, gentler, more civil elsewhere but you'll miss the cultural options NY tri-state has to offer even if you don't avail yourself, the options are there.

A bigger house for less pales besides having nowhere to go, nothing to do. The sameness of warmer climes gets boring after a while.

Take it from one who's done it at least 3 times. NY is the BOMB!
+100000

this is what I keep trying to tell these people but they don't understand....living here is way different than any other place in the U.S. i've been all over the eastern seaboard...nothing compares.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #26
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

Yeah this is the only thing that stops me, I moved from yonkers to long island, and its almost like moving out of new york. People are different, whole different mindset, nothing to do, etc.. City life ftw.

But I'm sure big cities are fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #27
FJc335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: platinum bronze e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
took me 6 months to realize how much i hated living there (brooklyn)
packed my bag and moved to san diego - the best place i've ever been from.
Those from brooklyn tend to move to NJ and the ones from Queens tend to move to Long Island. I myself moved out of bklyn to NJ and loved it. It's hard for NY'er to leave the city, but once they get themself the courage to, they won't go back. My friend from brooklyn wanted to move to the Bronx or Queens, but i got him to move to NJ and now, wouldn't want to step foot back to bklyn unless he has to. Still has family members there.
But if I were to leave East Coast, my choice would be San Fran.

Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #28
FJc335
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here's one reason to move out of nyc...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260230

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #29
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

I made several moves during my life so far...I moved out of Long Island when I was 3, down to Charlotte, NC and lived there for 13 years or so..right before I turned 16 I moved BACK to Long Island, into the same down, in a house not far from the one I first grew up in.

Since then I have moved to the other side of town in a quieter neighborhood, but Im in my prime right now...26, enjoying the nightlife and the cars, I love to have my weekends to do whatever I want after I put in a hectic week or two. I can go anywhere in 2 hours really..upstate, go visit friends in Philly, go to the beach, Six Flags, head to NYC, you name it.

My girl lives in Fort Lee, which is right across the GWB..on a good evening maybe takes me 20 minutes to get there from Long Island. Its one of the most expensive towns to live in Bergen County, the neighbors are friendly, town is quiet (lots of seniors) and preferably to me, lots of asian girls

I would love to move there because it gets me out of the crap that is Long Island traffic, yet its still less than 5 minutes from the city. I spend at least one evening a week having dinner somewhere in there, and most of the time on the weekends Im out in the general vincinity that is North Jersey.

Could I move out of the tri-state area? It would be really hard for me to..all my friends and family are here, and to be honest Im getting to the point where I dont want to have to start my social life all over again. That and my job pays me pretty damned well.

If I was gonna leave here at all, it would be moving to Japan with my girl and doing Porsche work there. Its a little more strict than it is here, but I could get used to it
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #30
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJc335 View Post
Those from brooklyn tend to move to NJ and the ones from Queens tend to move to Long Island. I myself moved out of bklyn to NJ and loved it. It's hard for NY'er to leave the city, but once they get themself the courage to, they won't go back. My friend from brooklyn wanted to move to the Bronx or Queens, but i got him to move to NJ and now, wouldn't want to step foot back to bklyn unless he has to. Still has family members there.
But if I were to leave East Coast, my choice would be San Fran.
People move to NJ from Brooklyn reason being the housing pricing is ridiculous and high for such little property, I am speaking of good areas....You can buy a house in NJ thats 3x the size of a house in Dyker Heights, for example, for less money...I wanted to move to NJ, but the commute time was insane...Spending 3 to 4 hours in commute everyday gets to you sooner or later, thats why I opted to stay in NY....Other places are nice to visit, but there is nothing better than the diversity of New York and its nightlife!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #31
FJc335
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
People move to NJ from Brooklyn reason being the housing pricing is ridiculous and high for such little property, I am speaking of good areas....You can buy a house in NJ thats 3x the size of a house in Dyker Heights, for example, for less money...I wanted to move to NJ, but the commute time was insane...Spending 3 to 4 hours in commute everyday gets to you sooner or later, thats why I opted to stay in NY....Other places are nice to visit, but there is nothing better than the diversity of New York and its nightlife!
My friend and I moved to NJ not because of housing price, but the fact that we both got married and starting a family. I used to love the night life of the city lights, but now, i enjoyed letting my 3 yo play in the backyard while i'm bbq'ing. I guess we do change as we get older....

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #32
FJc335
First Lieutenant
Rep

Also, hate the fact that people still play baseball in the streets by my folks neighborhood and having 2 of my car mirror smashed. Thats why i never take my e92 back to bklyn...
And finding a parking space is like GOLD.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #33
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

I think I might just to move long island city and call it a day :P
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #34
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

best bet: get a small apartment in nyc and a condo in san diego.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #35
White e90
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

This is funny considering me and my fiance were just talking about this yesterday...I'm another born and raised in NY and yes some parts I love and others hate...I did the move thing to Florida back in the college days and returned to NY in 6 months lol...proving that yes there is no place like NY...but once again we are getting that bug to leave the nasty winter, obnoxious people (5 towns) if you know the area you will agree, rising prices of homes/apartments/condos, everything is OLD, and not sure I want my kids growing up here...A big plus is obviously they would be well cultured...my parents and friends live here too...but I have been to Cali countless times..nice weather..laid back..nicer people (in some areas)...better/cheaper(not by much)/NEWER homes..guess whats stopping me really is job placement and family/friends...not saying it is better than NY but just like Florida..I'll never know till I try..I guess there is just one question...ARNOLD:"When can you start?"
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #36
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
don't move if you will be leaving your family and friends, you will regret it, guaranteed.
thats why I'm keepin my ass in NJ heh
Appreciate 0