E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > SERVICE ENGINE SOON light on, why? help, what's wrong?

12-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
BM2006i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

SERVICE ENGINE SOON light on, why? help, what's wrong?

Today is around 20 degrees, very cold. 2006 300i auto, 38k miles now. I turned on the engine and it started slow, I guess it's the cold weather. After it warmed up for 1 min, the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is on in yellow. The car also felt alittle jerky while rolling at 5m/h(automatic). When I put the car in reverse, the jerkyness was slightly more noticeable. This is the first time I have this problem.
I checked under the hood, I also noticed the Green labeled CAP, CHF1(powersteering?) fluid still has a slight leak since the last visit to the dealer(months ago). Does this have anything to do with it?

What could have caused this? I m planning to make an appointment with the dealer soon.

thanks

Last edited by BM2006i; 12-14-2010 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
kurtural
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2006 X3, 2006 525i

I had the same thing happen to mine last year. It got cold and got a check engine light. I thought it was the fuel cap and didn't think of it much. The light went away after a day but then came back. I took it in and they had to service the VANOS.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
BM2006i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

hi, sorry to ask, but what is the VANOS? what did the dealer do? and how much does that cost?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
smellfish
No one on the corner has stagger like us
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E90

Need to pull the codes. Or take it to a dealer.
      12-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
VANOS
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
VANOS (abbr. from German variable Nockenwellensteuerung) is an automobile variable valve timing technology developed by BMW in close collaboration with Continental Teves. VANOS varies the timing of the valves by moving the position of the camshafts in relation to the drive gear. This movement varies from 6 degrees of advanced to 6 degrees of retarded camshaft timing.
Contents [hide]
1 Single VANOS
2 Double VANOS
3 VANOS Performance
4 List of VANOS engines
5 See also
[edit]Single VANOS

VANOS is a combined hydraulic and mechanical camshaft control device managed by the car's DME engine management system. The VANOS system is based on a discrete adjustment mechanism that can modify the position of the intake camshaft versus the crankshaft. Double-VANOS adds continuous adjustability to the intake and exhaust camshafts.
VANOS operates on the intake camshaft in accordance with engine speed and accelerator pedal position. At the lower end of the engine-speed scale, the intake valves are opened later, which improves idling quality and smoothness. At moderate engine speeds, the intake valves open much earlier, which boosts torque and permits exhaust gas re-circulation inside the combustion chambers, reducing fuel consumption and exhaust emissions. Finally, at high engine speeds, intake valve opening is once again delayed, so that full power can be developed. VANOS significantly enhances emission management, increases output and torque, and offers better idling quality and fuel economy.
VANOS was first introduced in 1992 on the BMW M50 engine used in the 5 Series. [1]
[edit]Double VANOS

First double VANOS system appeared on S50B32 engine in 1996. Later, BMW added "double" VANOS to its M52tu series of inline 6-cylinder engines, which changed the mechanism from fixed position operation to continuously variable, and added the same functionality to the exhaust camshaft, on a number of its cars. Double-VANOS (double-variable camshaft control) significantly improves torque and emissions since valve timing on both the intake and exhaust camshafts is adjusted to the power required from the engine as a function of gas pedal position and engine speed. On all BMW engines that use single VANOS, except S50B30, the timing of the intake cam is only changed at two distinct rpm points, while on the double-VANOS system, the timing of the intake and exhaust cams is continuously variable through a range of ~40 crankshaft degrees for the intake, and 25 degrees for the exhaust. The advantage of double-VANOS is that the system controls the flow of hot exhaust gases into the intake manifold individually for all operating conditions. This is referred to as "internal" exhaust gas re-circulation, allowing very fine dosage of the amount of exhaust gas recycled.
[edit]VANOS Performance

Single and Double VANOS systems due to age and mileage are commonly seeing performance issues as well as complete failure of the BMW OEM Buna-N VANOS piston seals (which are often successfully repaired by the use of aftermarket Viton seals to replace the OEM Buna-N seals). Another common effect is a rattling sound coming from the upper valve train assembly. The original seal material was found to be inferior for the application and tends to break down within 75k - 100k miles. VANOS Seal & Rattle kits are available to address these shortcomings. VANOS repair does require special tools that can be rented or purchased from a variety of vendors.
[edit]List of VANOS engines

Name VANOS Type Infinite Adjustments Solenoids
M50TU Single No 1 solenoid I/O
M52 Single No 1 solenoid I/O
M52TU Double Yes 2 solenoid pwm
M54 Double Yes 2 solenoid pwm
N52 Double Yes 2 solenoid pwm
S50 Single Yes 1992-1994 not in u.s - 2 solenoid pwm
S50 Double Yes 1995-1998 not in u.s - 4 solenoid pwm
S52 Single No 1996-1998 u.s - 1 solenoid I/O
S54 Double Yes - 4 solenoid pwm
M62TU Single Yes - 2 solenoid pwm
N62 Double Yes - 4 solenoid pwm
S62 Double Yes - 8 solenoid pwm + 1 pwm solenoid pressure regulator
S85 Double Yes - 4 solenoid pwm + 1 pwm pressure regulator
N73 Double Yes - 4 solenoid pwm
Note: The engines starting with an "N" also have valvetronic variable intake valve opening.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Eights-n-Aces
[]D []-[] []_[] []< []\[] []_[] ']['
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible/Le Mans Blue/

Garage List
"Service Engine Soon" is an indication that your car needs service. It isn't an emergency or a major engine failure. It can be something as simple as an emissions control device isn't working or something more serious. The only way to know for sure is to connect it to a diagnostic tool and decipher the code.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eights-n-Aces View Post
"Service Engine Soon" is an indication that your car needs service. It isn't an emergency or a major engine failure. It can be something as simple as an emissions control device isn't working or something more serious. The only way to know for sure is to connect it to a diagnostic tool and decipher the code.
No. The check engine light, CEL, can indicate a major engine failure.

SES lights are emissions related. Gas cap error, lean/rich mixtures, EVAP system leaks/pump failures, etc.

Think about the term "Service Engine SOON." Don't you think if it was a major engine failure, your car would prompt you to get your car serviced ASAP, hence Check Engine Light?

OP, you need have your car scanned and pull the code/s. Post them up here.

Most likely you'll be throwing P codes for a SES light, but there are BMW specific codes that can be present.

EDIT: If you're throwing P codes, type them in google as you see them. For example, P0442. P codes are universal across all US spec cars and googling will provide descriptions of the codes and common symptoms, diagnosis tests, and repairs. That will save you a bit of time, rather than waiting for us to answer.

BTW, OP the power steering doesn't have to do with the SES light.

Last edited by fdriller9; 12-14-2010 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
Eights-n-Aces
[]D []-[] []_[] []< []\[] []_[] ']['
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible/Le Mans Blue/

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
No. The check engine light, CEL, can indicate a major engine failure.

SES lights are emissions related. Gas cap error, lean/rich mixtures, EVAP system leaks/pump failures, etc.

OP, you need have your car scanned and pull the code/s. Post them up here.

Most likely you'll be throwing P codes for a SES light, but there are BMW specific codes that can be present.
Isn't that what I said?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eights-n-Aces View Post
Isn't that what I said?
Ohhh. I missed the "isn't" part. I thought you said is.My apologies.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
BM2006i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

hi, thanks for the comments. I have tried/checked the fuel, it is good, open/closed, added more gas, still the same.
What about the jerky/shaky movements when the car is in reverse(just rolling, no gas applied) or roll forward? It is more noticeable in reverse. Also when the car is in park, you could still hear/feel the engines shaky/jerky sound.

I have already made an appointment for next week, now i'm just driving modestly and just will leave it parked when i get home.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Sounds like your car is misfring.....bad coil pack, injectors, spark plugs etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
shibikot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
had the same thing happen to me recently on a 2006 330I
Turned out to be faulty ignition coil on cyl 6.
No biggie, they're $40-45 online, and its pretty easy to replace them yourself.
Replace the spark plugs too while you're at it.

I replaced all 6.

Refrain from driving the car long distance as the misfire (which is the sign of shaky engine) can potentially damage your catalytic coverter (very expensive repair).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
BM2006i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thanks alot. Could the outside freezing temp caused? today is the first day i got this SES light on, car's parked now and not moving until the apptment date. the dealer is about 12 miles from me, now it's just the wait, hopefully it's nothing serious. thanks alot.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

The SES light is lit because your car is missing 30cc's of engine displacement and the ECU can't remap the fuel injection to account for the reduced 5cc's of displacement per cylinder. Too much fuel in the cylinders may cause the cat converters to burn up. I wouldn't drive it!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #15
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep
Drives: 07 335i & 94 3000GT VR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
The SES light is lit because your car is missing 30cc's of engine displacement and the ECU can't remap the fuel injection to account for the reduced 5cc's of displacement per cylinder. Too much fuel in the cylinders may cause the cat converters to burn up. I wouldn't drive it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibikot View Post
Refrain from driving the car long distance as the misfire (which is the sign of shaky engine) can potentially damage your catalytic coverter (very expensive repair).

Could it cause engine failure? or damage one of those cyls (ring or pistons) with the misfire?

[Race] 1994 Rare Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
[Daily] 2007 BMW E92 335i 6MT
SPECS: [SpaceGray.Sport.Premium.Nav] MODS: [BTDCI.AAFMIC.AABOV.EBAYDP.?EXHAUST.VPROCEDE.BSHOCC]
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #16
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM2006i View Post
thanks alot. Could the outside freezing temp caused? today is the first day i got this SES light on, car's parked now and not moving until the apptment date. the dealer is about 12 miles from me, now it's just the wait, hopefully it's nothing serious. thanks alot.
20F is barely cold, it's not the cause of your problem.
      01-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #17
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Frost View Post
Could it cause engine failure? or damage one of those cyls (ring or pistons) with the misfire?
Hey man I was joking. The OP said he had a "300i" when he meant "330i". Most likely, the engine misfired just for a short period, due to possibly a stuck fuel injector. You need to understand the emission system monitors misfires and it takes a series of misfires on the same cylinder in a specific amount of time for it to trigger the SES light. Engines misfire all the time for various reasons, but they only misfire infrequently, which the OBDII system is programmed to allow for a certain level misfire, or the SES light would be on all the time.

If his engine is running fine now, he probably does not have misfire condition present. The BT scan tool is a good tool to have since it tells you whether the condition that caused the troble code is currently present, or happened in the past. The BT scan tool records the mileage at which the code appeared.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #18
Solonng
Captain
Rep
Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

throttle body!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #19
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep
Drives: 07 335i & 94 3000GT VR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Hey man I was joking. The OP said he had a "300i" when he meant "330i". Most likely, the engine misfired just for a short period, due to possibly a stuck fuel injector. You need to understand the emission system monitors misfires and it takes a series of misfires on the same cylinder in a specific amount of time for it to trigger the SES light. Engines misfire all the time for various reasons, but they only misfire infrequently, which the OBDII system is programmed to allow for a certain level misfire, or the SES light would be on all the time.

If his engine is running fine now, he probably does not have misfire condition present. The BT scan tool is a good tool to have since it tells you whether the condition that caused the troble code is currently present, or happened in the past. The BT scan tool records the mileage at which the code appeared.
I was actually asking because in my case the SES light was on all the time

[Race] 1994 Rare Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
[Daily] 2007 BMW E92 335i 6MT
SPECS: [SpaceGray.Sport.Premium.Nav] MODS: [BTDCI.AAFMIC.AABOV.EBAYDP.?EXHAUST.VPROCEDE.BSHOCC]
Appreciate 0