E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Got a call from BMWNA, oil cooler retrofit!

04-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #89
krafty04
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 04 Jeep Gr. Cherokee Overland

Okay, just off the phone with BMW NA and checking on my build status (I got a VIN today!!) and asked about***********:

1. Production date: this is the second to last day before it rolls OFF the assembly line. Last day is reserved for Dyno check and QA review, and signing off all forms and placing outside for routing.

2. Oil coolers: All 335i with sport are receiving oil coolers. He said it went into effect with cars entering production after 1 March 07.

3. I asked "what about our brothers who received thier cars without the coolers?" and he said "Man, you should see the fuss". There is a ton of intra-traffic on the subject. BMW has devoted a team to review the data, past build #'s, and to propose a response to the Dept. Heads. They are definitely all over it, he said it was #1 on their priority list, as best as he could tell. He didn't hold nothing back, very honest, but he could not lean towards the outcome.

All for now, I'm calling for another update Tues morning and I'll post again.
04 325 (sold)
98 318ti (daughters ride now)

Last edited by krafty04; 04-19-2007 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #90
Agent007
Private
Rep
Drives: xdrive40i X5

someone post the doc so I can read it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #91
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335Xi ZSP, ZCW, PDC

Just got off the phone with BMW NA about oil cooler retro fit and very upset at how BMW NA is handling it. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: My 335 with sport IS March 07 built and it DOES NOT have oil cooler. I really have no idea who BMW hires to talk to us -- somebody from marketing, sales, project management? - she was totally clueless and would not listen to a word I was saying. She reminded me a lot like some people from talk show who would talk over anything anybody else is saying like they are alone in the room.
I was on important conference call when she called and had to put them on hold thinking this can be handled quickly ... right. Every time I try to say something she would interrupt me and read me (I really believe she was just reading of the paper) same thing over and over and over and over again and again and again and again not giving me any chance to say what I wanted to say. According to what she was reading to me BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode, the oil cooler they are installing now on cars is an enhancement (what it is enhancing she could not say). When I tell her that just today in 3 hour traffic the temp rose to 270-280 and I had to stop to let my car to cool down because I DID NOT want it to go to limp mode she would go on again saying BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode. When I told that I was assured by my CA when placing an order that I will have oil cooler she told me BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode. When I told that when my car was build and I called 800 number to verify that my car does have oil cooler I was assured that it does she told me again BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode. When I told her that when I was picking up my car and asked if it has an oil cooler I was told again that it does she would tell me BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode. Finally when I've had enough of this BS and asked her that I wanted to talk to her manager she refused to do so and instead said that she will talk to my CA and will call me back. I do understand that if I drive my car in to limp mode they will install oil cooler but what if I don't want to because I don't think it is good for my car and I was planning on keeping it. (I bought it)
Anyway, thank you for listening. I just had to get it off my chest.

PS I do hope somebody else from BMW will be calling me back. I don't think I can handle listening again to her litany about BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
      04-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #92
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinfo_us View Post
Just got off the phone with BMW NA about oil cooler retro fit and very upset at how BMW NA is handling it. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: My 335 with sport IS March 07 built and it DOES NOT have oil cooler. I really have no idea who BMW hires to talk to us -- somebody from marketing, sales, project management? - she was totally clueless and would not listen to a word I was saying. She reminded me a lot like some people from talk show who would talk over anything anybody else is saying like they are alone in the room.
I was on important conference call when she called and had to put them on hold thinking this can be handled quickly ... right. Every time I try to say something she would interrupt me and read me (I really believe she was just reading of the paper) same thing over and over and over and over again and again and again and again not giving me any chance to say what I wanted to say. According to what she was reading to me BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode, the oil cooler they are installing now on cars is an enhancement (what it is enhancing she could not say). When I tell her that just today in 3 hour traffic the temp rose to 270-280 and I had to stop to let my car to cool down because I DID NOT want it to go to limp mode she would go on again saying BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode. When I told that I was assured by my CA when placing an order that I will have oil cooler she told me BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode. When I told that when my car was build and I called 800 number to verify that my car does have oil cooler I was assured that it does she told me again BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode. When I told her that when I was picking up my car and asked if it has an oil cooler I was told again that it does she would tell me BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode. Finally when I've had enough of this BS and asked her that I wanted to talk to her manager she refused to do so and instead said that she will talk to my CA and will call me back. I do understand that if I drive my car in to limp mode they will install oil cooler but what if I don't want to because I don't think it is good for my car and I was planning on keeping it. (I bought it)

PS I do hope somebody else from BMW will be calling me back. I don't think I can handle listening again to her litany about BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode.

hmm...BMW should handle their customers just like their competition does. It sucks! I am afraid they are going to lose their loyal customer base if this isn't handled properly.
      04-19-2007, 09:59 PM   #93
Spazdoc
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 C63S, 2001 S4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fester View Post
hmm...BMW should handle their customers just like their competition does. It sucks! I am afraid they are going to lose their loyal customer base if this isn't handled properly.
I remember a plethora of similar letters in Roundel when the E46 M3 came out and the rants on price gouging by the dealerships was eroding the loyal BMW customer base. I guess BMW made it through that epidemic....

I am not trying sound like a BMW spokesman as much as Devils Advocate. It sounds like sime people would be happy if they had some BMWNA heads on a pike.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 10:49 PM   #94
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazdoc View Post
I remember a plethora of similar letters in Roundel when the E46 M3 came out and the rants on price gouging by the dealerships was eroding the loyal BMW customer base. I guess BMW made it through that epidemic....

I am not trying sound like a BMW spokesman as much as Devils Advocate. It sounds like sime people would be happy if they had some BMWNA heads on a pike.
I wasn't a BMW owner back then, but wasn't there a steering rack issue the 2nd year the E46 was out? And BMW offered a retrofit for those who didn't like the new steering?

Again, I'm not understanding why the oil cooler is a sport package thing. Is it in the brochure at all? But when I look at it, I'm not sure I'd want a dealer installing it, especially if it's a hurry-job thing where tons of 335's are in the lot waiting for them. The oil is the life blood of the vehicle, I'd prefer this cooler to have been installed when the vehicle was produced, not after the fact....and yes, because of all the attention on the forum I found that I do have it on a 11/06 produced 6 man.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 10:54 PM   #95
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:

I do feel your pain as your car is brand-spanking new, and it's a shame to have this missing from the vehicle. From what you said, it sounds like BMWs position is that the cooler is an enhancement, not a defect if it's lacking. I'm curious what the cost of one of these installed is, if that's even possible? Maybe than price would shed some light on how/why BMW is willing/reluctant to retrofit...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #96
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I'm curious what the cost of one of these installed is, if that's even possible? Maybe than price would shed some light on how/why BMW is willing/reluctant to retrofit...
From what I hear it is in $1500-2500 range ...
      04-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #97
AnyMeans
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
According to what she was reading to me BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode, the oil cooler they are installing now on cars is an enhancement (what it is enhancing she could not say). When I tell her that just today in 3 hour traffic the temp rose to 270-280 and I had to stop to let my car to cool down because I DID NOT want it to go to limp mode she would go on again saying BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode. When I told that I was assured by my CA when placing an order that I will have oil cooler she told me BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode. When I told that when my car was build and I called 800 number to verify that my car does have oil cooler I was assured that it does she told me again BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode. When I told her that when I was picking up my car and asked if it has an oil cooler I was told again that it does she would tell me BMW was designed to go to limp mode, it is OK for my car to go to limp mode, nothing bad will happened if my car will go to limp mode.
Sorry to read that you had such an experience with BMWNA.

Your comments reminded me of a statement made by the representative I spoke with at BMWNA. He stated that the outside temperature should have no appreciable affect on the operating temperature of the engine. Further, the only time the limp mode should be triggered is if the car is being raced on a track--which in his opinion would be void the warranty.

I stated that not the case in the Texas heat but that I would not debate that outside temperature issue with him at this point. Additionally, I stated that he did not want to know what I was going to do if my car triggers the fail-safe mode (i.e., limp mode). He then stated that he would check to see if the air-to-oil cooler could be retrofitted to my 335i Coupe--which I was surprise to hear because one would think that information should be known.

The following day I received a call from my dealer stating the air-to-oil cooler and parts were being ordered. At this point I have not received any additional information from either party.

During the conversation with the BMWNA representative I mentioned that I was not a happy customer because my navigation system was not functioning properly and that my car had been in the shop for two days to perform a software update. I had expected to have my car serviced within the first month of ownership because of the defect. To make matters worse, I learned yesterday that RTTI no longer works. Perhaps both issues can be handled at the same time once the dealership receives the air-to-oil cooler.

I hope there is a happy ending for everyone.

Best Regards,
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #98
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyMeans View Post
I stated that not the case in the Texas heat but that I would not debate that outside temperature issue with him at this point. Additionally, I stated that he did not want to know what I was going to do if my car triggers the fail-safe mode (i.e., limp mode). He then stated that he would check to see if the air-to-oil cooler could be retrofitted to my 335i Coupe--which I was surprise to hear because one would think that information should be known.

The following day I received a call from my dealer stating the air-to-oil cooler and parts were being ordered. At this point I have not received any additional information from either party.
I am sorry but I don't get it. What did you mean? Could you clerify please?

Thank you.
      04-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #99
AnyMeans
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
I am sorry but I don't get it. What did you mean? Could you clerify please?

Thank you.
Meaning, I was being very understanding but that would no longer be the case if my car failed to perform as it should (i.e., triggered the limp mode).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #100
BMW_drei
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyMeans View Post
Meaning, I was being very understanding but that would no longer be the case if my car failed to perform as it should (i.e., triggered the limp mode).
I believe the car is performing as it should when it enters *limp mode* (or so BMWNA has said) -- it was designed to protect itself from damage. In reality, by building cars without the cooler, it has provided owners with a modified design that can lead to a "...condition that substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle..." (Your state's language may differ slightly...)

I agree with you -- I have clearly laid out my intended path, so BMWNA is free to divert me at any time by making this right.
      04-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #101
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

I officially ordered my MT E92 (sedan) 335i sport today (Euro delivery). Upon placing the order, I went and drove a 335i MT without sport package. After the oil temp warmed up to 210, I drove it pretty hard, climbing about 1500 ft on some curvey roads. I used full throttle in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears.

The oil temp soared higher and higher the longer I drove up the hill, reaching about 275!! I had read a lot of the oil cooler posts, and thought I understood all MT cars to have the cooler, so suddenly I was really nervous that, even WITH a cooler the car was extremely prone to high oil temps.

I looked for the cooler after the drive and it was NOT there on this NON-SPORT 335i MT. I then looked at all the 335i 4-doors and ALL of the sport-package cars (regardless of MT or AT) HAD the cooler and NONE of the non-sport cars had it.

If I were a layperson, and test drove this car, and saw oil temps reach 275 degrees on a normal road (NOT a racetrack) I would have been sure something was wrong with the car. I do track my cars, and it was obvious this one would have hit 300 degrees by lap 3 and gone into limp mode.

It is ridiculous for a $40K plus BMW sports sedan to EVER go into limp mode when driven on the street. I have driven my Subi Legacy GT turbo wagon on the track at 10/10 and it never went into limp mode. BMW made a big booboo when they did not put oil coolers on all 335is. Keep in mind they charge a $5-7K premium for this car compared to the competition, and they are making big profits on it. There is simply no excuse for it not being included. You cannot tell me that having your oil temps rising and falling between 240 and 280 or 290 on a regular basis can be good for the long-term durability of the engine.

Last, has ANYONE who is positive they have the cooler (as in, they looked behind the right wheel well and saw it) had their temps go above 250? I read where an instructor drove all day at Buttonwillow in a MT 335i sport and his temp never went above 250.
      04-20-2007, 08:11 PM   #102
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Ya, all NON sport cars do not have the oil cooler. Silly, but true.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #103
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
Ya, all NON sport cars do not have the oil cooler. Silly, but true.
I am glad I bought the sport package. And the manual transmission (rubbing it in).

Somebody should post up that letter.
      04-21-2007, 12:25 AM   #104
BMW335i07
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [10.00]
2008 328i Coupe  [10.00]
Wow! I just read all of the posts. I just bought my car 2 weeks ago and it has been running hot. I will look to see if it was installed tomorrow.

2019 BMW M5 | Marina Bay Blue Metallic | Aragon Brown | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 12:37 AM   #105
jbake
OG
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

sorry to take so long to answer, my 335 is a step Dec06 production
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 02:39 AM   #106
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

i haven't had any problems with temperature yet, but after the progman updates i ahv enoticed my temperatures fluctuatin much more and generally running higher. the car is alrady in for fuel pump issues, if the car overheats and has had hpi issues it's gonna be a fun road ahead for bmw

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #107
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yesterday I've got a call from BMW NA and was told that they will install oil cooler in my car as a gesture of goodwill one time only. She wants me to sign release form that she will be faxing me next week. And there is no date on when oil cooler will be installed because right now they have shortage. According to her my SA will be calling me once they receive parts to schedule an appointment.
      04-21-2007, 10:45 AM   #108
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I said it before I'll say it again. Is there a "deadline" to sign and fax this form? Can I keep it until I'm ready to sign it?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 09:16 AM   #109
kingjod123
Installing an Air Cooler
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
I said it before I'll say it again. Is there a "deadline" to sign and fax this form? Can I keep it until I'm ready to sign it?
there is no indication of a deadline on the form I received.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #110
kingjod123
Installing an Air Cooler
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan Black Sapphire

i got my revised release and will most likely sign pending approval from my lawyer.
Appreciate 0