E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Lifting car onto jackstands

11-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Lifting car onto jackstands

Hello,

Im simply looking for a DIY or thread with info on the safest way to get the front end of the car onto jack-stands. I have an aluminum low-profile 2.5-ton jack that i will be using, and 2 jack stands. Im not sure where i should jack the car up from, where to place the jack-stnads, and if i need the inserts to place in the rubber jack-points to keep it from getting chewed up? Link to the what im talking about

This will be for a downpipe install, if that makes a difference as to where i jack it up.

Thanks,
E

EDIT: Ive found this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...924&highlight=. Helps a little, but not much. Confused as to what im looking at...

Last edited by Eric335; 11-25-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
fnckr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6mt

In the thread you linked, he's using a jack on each side to raise the car a little at a time on both sides. That's not necessary.

In the third pic is the front central jacking point. It is dead center from each side when looking from the front. Slide the jack straight in the center under the mid-point of your front lip. Get a low profile jack as is pictured in your link. Drive your front wheels onto two by fours to give you some clearance to get the jack under the front of the car if you have sport package or are lowered. The back of jack may push up on the plastic under tray slightly when all the way in, but no issue. Then place jack stands at the side jack points.

Might want to chock your rear wheels.
      11-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnckr View Post
In the thread you linked, he's using a jack on each side to raise the car a little at a time on both sides. That's not necessary.

In the third pic is the front central jacking point. It is dead center from each side when looking from the front. Slide the jack straight in the center under the mid-point of your front lip. Get a low profile jack as is pictured in your link. Drive your front wheels onto two by fours to give you some clearance to get the jack under the front of the car if you have sport package or are lowered. The back of jack may push up on the plastic under tray slightly when all the way in, but no issue. Then place jack stands at the side jack points.

Might want to chock your rear wheels.
Good idea,thanks. If i was to jack just one side up, where do i jack it up? Like, where do i position the saddle of the lift.
      11-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
fnckr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6mt

At least on my car, if I jack from either rectangular jack point (with the jack pad fitted like your other link), the entire side goes up... However I only jack from the side if I'm removing one wheel. Then, move to the next jack point on that side for the other wheel despite it also being raised slightly. I won't take the chance of the fall. If doing all four I start in front and then go to back as in your link and my described method above.
      11-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

My car was way too low to use the front middle jack point, even with 2x4s, so this is how I used to do it.

-Jack up from passenger rear jack point all the way up until you can fit a jack stand under the passenger front jack point.
-Jack up from driver rear jack point all the way up until you can fit a jack stand under the driver front jack point.

It's a bit scary as the car will shift weight while jacking it up, after the first jack stand is in place. It works though, just be careful.

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
Hello,

Im simply looking for a DIY or thread with info on the safest way to get the front end of the car onto jack-stands. I have an aluminum low-profile 2.5-ton jack that i will be using, and 2 jack stands. Im not sure where i should jack the car up from, where to place the jack-stnads, and if i need the inserts to place in the rubber jack-points to keep it from getting chewed up? Link to the what im talking about

This will be for a downpipe install, if that makes a difference as to where i jack it up.

Thanks,
E

EDIT: Ive found this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...924&highlight=. Helps a little, but not much. Confused as to what im looking at...
There is a DIY section on this board. Fourth post down http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461718

Next time SEARCH
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnckr View Post
At least on my car, if I jack from either rectangular jack point (with the jack pad fitted like your other link), the entire side goes up... However I only jack from the side if I'm removing one wheel. Then, move to the next jack point on that side for the other wheel despite it also being raised slightly. I won't take the chance of the fall. If doing all four I start in front and then go to back as in your link and my described method above.
Thanks for the info. Ill try the 2x4" method and see if i can use the center jack-point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM92 View Post
My car was way too low to use the front middle jack point, even with 2x4s, so this is how I used to do it.

-Jack up from passenger rear jack point all the way up until you can fit a jack stand under the passenger front jack point.
-Jack up from driver rear jack point all the way up until you can fit a jack stand under the driver front jack point.

It's a bit scary as the car will shift weight while jacking it up, after the first jack stand is in place. It works though, just be careful.
Thanks, this is what i was wondering about. I think ill try the center jack-point first though, as it seems safer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slupie View Post
There is a DIY section on this board. Fourth post down http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461718

Next time SEARCH
I read this, and it wasnt what i was looking for...

Thanks EDM92 and fnckr, i think i figured it out. I was originally going to jack up one side and place a stand, and then do it on the other side. Now this seems too risky, and i might as well do the center jack-point (and buy some 2x4"s).
      11-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Pappy
Resident Septuagenarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i Coupe MT w/hand brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by slupie View Post

Next time SEARCH
A lot of people are more than willing and happy to provide answers. Search if you wish, but I like to ask...

Sent from my keyboard using hunt and peck...
Appreciate 0