E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Silver Investors

07-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Silver Investors

Are there any silver investors here? Im thinking about buying some considering the low price. Does anyone have any tips?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
E90-F30
Allen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AUDI S4 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Buy bullion.

Nothing less than 10oz. If you can afford it, buy a 100oz bar while the price is low.

If not, buy in 10oz/50oz increments.

As of right now $19.86/Troy Oz.

I use APMEX and Provident for my purchases.
      07-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I'm not a silver investor but isn't it still a bit high (historically)? Seems to be headed down in price but I don't think I'd buy any. I base this only on looking at a pricing chart from '95 to the present day. That said, there are some cool pieces (coins, rounds, and bars) out there.
      07-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-F30 View Post
Buy bullion.

Nothing less than 10oz. If you can afford it, buy a 100oz bar while the price is low.

Ive heard bad things about apmex on the lines of high cost and shipping
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Here's silver over the past 200 years

Not exactly inspiring.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

damn, the hunt brothers got it up to 20k/oz? wow lol
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosster hymen View Post
damn, the hunt brothers got it up to 20k/oz? wow lol
I believe that's $20/oz, not $20,000/oz

It's 20.000 (period, not comma).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I believe that's $20/oz, not $20,000/oz

It's 20.000 (period, not comma).
right, haha.

economies are completely global now. i think a safer play is owning a mixed basket of strong curriences (dollars, euros, cny, swiss francs...). i still like gold, but wouldn't buy it anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
E90-F30
Allen
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Silver is used in virtually everything electronic, and the supply one day will be down to null.

It will never reach the price of gold, but it will rise significantly in the next 15-20 years due to depleting supply.

Investing in silver today, would be like investing in gold in the early 70s.
      07-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Silver is used in virtually everything electronic, and the supply one day will be down to null.

It will never reach the price of gold, but it will rise significantly in the next 15-20 years due to depleting supply.

don't know about that... remember ehrlich vs. simon? silver is a good conductor but not the best, and if it costs enough there are cheaper substitutes.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Silver is a good bet at the moment. And as china and India erc continue their booms thei middle class consumers grow meaning more consumption I goods w silver. The price will go up, but how much is tbd. I have 500oz laying around, have been debating making that 1000oz.

Honestly though if shit hits fan, bullets food and water are what's priceless.

On a side note anyone do forex trading or heard about infinite prosperity ?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

They are mining more Silver today than in any time in history due to new mining technology. There is actually an abundance of supply.

Yes, Silver may run out, but I don't see that happening for a very long time.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Buy bullion.

I see very little reason to buy bullion. In fact, in can decrease the liquidity of your investment. Many places charge ASK: Spot+10% and BID:Spot-10% . That’s essentially a 10% commission charge in and another 10% out. That’s a serious hit to your cost and selling basis.

There are several ETFs that specifically track the spot price of silver. They have low expenses, low trade costs, and you have no issues related to storage. That would be a much better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I'm not a silver investor but isn't it still a bit high (historically)? Seems to be headed down in price but I don't think I'd buy any. I base this only on looking at a pricing chart from '95 to the present day. That said, there are some cool pieces (coins, rounds, and bars) out there.
A bit of both. Over the past 10 years it has increased significantly. However, within the past 2 years it has taken a significant hit. I show that July 2003 the spot price was around $5.33. In July 2011 it was around $40.11. Currently it’s trading at $19.90

Quote:

While that may be true, you’re talking about at least a 15-20 year time horizon. That’s a very significant amount of time. The best question to ask yourself is: Would there be better opportunities to invest my money over that time period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
They are mining more Silver today than in any time in history due to new mining technology. There is actually an abundance of supply.

Yes, Silver may run out, but I don't see that happening for a very long time.
This is very true, and one of the main contributors to why the spot price has decreased significantly over the past two years.

If you’re planning to hold this for less than a couple years, I personally think there are much better opportunities out there. I understand that people like trading commodities because they are very transparent investments. You know what you own and with bullion you actually have something tangible that has value.

Again, commodities can be fine investments. However, you need to consider how long you will realistically own it (time horizon). There is also a famous investment saying that goes something like “Never try to catch a falling knife.” Silver has been on a steady decline for quite some time now.

Is it a good investment choice? That’s up to you. I personally don’t think so, and have not recommended it to anyone. At this point that seems to be the majority opinion from most research firms and analysts. With that said, no one has a crystal ball. Just make sure that you truly believe that it is the best opportunity to invest your money and stick to your plan (don’t sell it prematurely based on emotion).
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
E90-F30
Allen
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
When I buy silver, I am investing for the "long-term."

At 22 years old, I'm anticipating the price to rise over the next 20-30 years. If it doesn't, it doesn't. But it'll still be worth something.

I stay away from the Silver ETF's because I'd rather have something tangible, but that is just personal opinion.

For each their own.
      07-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

At 22 years old, I'm anticipating the price to rise over the next 20-30 years. If it doesn't, it doesn't. But it'll still be worth something.

I stay away from the Silver ETF's because I'd rather have something tangible, but that is just personal opinion.

For each their own.
I am planning to invest in silver, gold for a lifetime investment. Don't think I will consider selling it unless I go bankrupt..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

I considered buying silver as an investment, but I couldnt justify it to myself. There are a million reasons why silver SHOULD be a good investment... but I dont know what it is, I just dont trust silver I know its silly to most of you but when I make these kinds of decisions I trust my gut, I havent been let down yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosster hymen View Post
silver is a good conductor but not the best, and if it costs enough there are cheaper substitutes.
Silver is the *best* conductor, the only problem is it tarnishes (more than 5% better than copper)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Well, someday I suppose!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #17
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

For each their own.
Go buy tangible stock certificates then....and yes they still exist. Do you also carry around all your cash instead of having a bank account? That's pretty much the same thought process (actually worse, honestly).

Personal opinion is fine. I'm not the one buying it, but have fun paying 20%+ in commission. Let's hope they never get stolen either (another plus for ETFs). I'm not much older than you, but your view of "investing" seems to be quite misguided.

In this case it's not "to each their own." There's a reason why everything went electronic many years ago. It's not a difference in opinion. It just flat out doesn't make sense.

I benefit nothing from any of this, but I strongly suggest that some of you think a bit harder about how you spend your money. I deal with this kind of stuff on a weekly basis so I'm used to it, but it's honestly scary to me that people are this ignorant with their investing. If you want to go buy a giant silver dildo then more power to you I guess, but let's not act like it's a good financial decision (or a good decision period).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Around $18 an ounce is a very good buy. I reckon that at $18 an ounce the odds are quite high that within 5 years you will see Silver touch $25 an ounce again. With that in mind you can see 50% gains which is roughly 10% a year. 10% a year is not bad if you look at it in the long term. Of course price of $25 could be hit this year or next year again if Bernanke says we are going to increase QE3 and add a QE4 lol...

While everything is possible I quite doubt that Silver will go to $9 which is a 50% drop from $18. Now it is roughly at $20 take or give. I like $18 entry point for a 5 year time frame. Any thing less then 5 years is a bonus
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #19
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4inAZ View Post

Well, someday I suppose!
      07-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I dont see how people feel it is a bad investment. I would much rather have something that is worth something no matter what the situtaion. If or when the American dollar collapses silver will still be worth something unlike your money you trusted with the bank. Silver was at near 45 dollars
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #21
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

As the world reserve currency, if the Dollar "collapses", shiny bricks of metal 3,500 miles away aren't going to be worth much.

Yams, land with a defensible water supply, lots of ammo and the ability to kill with your own hands unmercifully will be worth a lot more.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Around $18 an ounce is a very good buy. I reckon that at $18 an ounce the odds are quite high that within 5 years you will see Silver touch $25 an ounce again. With that in mind you can see 50% gains which is roughly 10% a year. 10% a year is not bad if you look at it in the long term. Of course price of $25 could be hit this year or next year again if Bernanke says we are going to increase QE3 and add a QE4 lol...

While everything is possible I quite doubt that Silver will go to $9 which is a 50% drop from $18. Now it is roughly at $20 take or give. I like $18 entry point for a 5 year time frame. Any thing less then 5 years is a bonus
Your math is quite off. $18 to $25 is a 38.89% total gain. That averages out to roughly 6.79% a year. There are investment grade bonds with a 5 year maturity that aren't paying much less than that, and many just below investment grade that are paying MORE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc View Post
I dont see how people feel it is a bad investment. I would much rather have something that is worth something no matter what the situtaion. If or when the American dollar collapses silver will still be worth something unlike your money you trusted with the bank. Silver was at near 45 dollars
By that theory you should be investing in agriculture, land, ammunition or non-renewable energy. While gold/silver is commodity money, it differs from usable commodities that are needed to survive.

If the America Dollar were to ever collapse gold/silver would be worth very little. At that point, you’d be talking about a massive depression on a Global level. You would been much more worried about fighting off theives from looting your home than worrying about any sort of money.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
As the world reserve currency, if the Dollar "collapses", shiny bricks of metal 3,500 miles away aren't going to be worth much.

Yams, land with a defensible water supply, lots of ammo and the ability to kill with your own hands unmercifully will be worth a lot more.
I made my post before seeing yours. I'm laughing a bit at how close our responses are.
Appreciate 0