E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Front Speaker replacement

06-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Autobot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F22 M235 6MT

Front Speaker replacement

For those of you that have replaced your front speakers, what did you do to make sure they stayed on the panel? What I am talking about is the OEM speakers have 3 attach points, 2 on one side where a normal 4 prong speaker can hold on to, but on the other side there is only one and it is in the middle. Do those 2 hold it ok, or is there another way that I am not thinking of to secure it so it doesn't move or rattle? Thanks
      06-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

The best way to do it is to make mounting rings.

You need:
  • 2x2 of 1/4" Masonite from Home Depot
  • Drill with a Uni-Bit
  • Jigsaw with a finer blade
  • some rough sandpaper and maybe a rough file
  • flat black rattlecan
  • Some washers
[/LIST]
Use a pencil. Outline outside the OEM speaker and mounting holes, then use the opening for the grille of the new speaker to put a circle in the center.

Then drill out the mounting holes.

Then drill in the center circle and cut that out. Make sure your new speaker drops into the center, if not make careful mods to fit using saw or file.

THEN cut out the outer edge.

Test fit on door panel for studs going in holes. If they don't fit, carefully mod to fit.

Then sand off the rough spots.

Then rattlecan it flat black (have some pride).

When you assemble everything, I would use washers between the spacer and the nut. The Masonite doesn't have a lot of compression resistance and you want to spread the nut's pressure over a larger area than its footprint.

If you want to be all tech, I would use foam weatherstripping tape to seal the ring against the door panel too.
Appreciate 0