E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Homelink Retrofit (US - E90)

02-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
DIY - Homelink Retrofit (US - E90)

Here it is fellas. We already have a basically plug-and-play homelink retrofit DIY but for those of us that didn't order the option from the factory in the US things aren't that simple.

Parts necessary...
1 - Homelink Mirror, can be bought on ebay, Tischer, or a salvage yard ranging from $150-500. I paid $150 through a salvage yard. I found mine through car-part.com
2 - Retrofit wire, can be bought from Tischer BMW $32shipped
3 - Slim flat head screwdriver
4 - Very VERY small flat head screwdriver, one like you would use for screws on glasses.
5 - Scissors

I'm going to compile a couple different DIY's that have already been covered to get the basic things out of the way.

1)Follow SGxi DIY to learn how to get the mirror cover and mirror off...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71389

2)To get the upper console off place a slim flat head screwdriver in the areas marked to unclip the console.

Now that you have the console open and mirror off is when things get a little tricky. Actually, more of a pain in the ass.

3)Follow pages 11 and 12 or section 6 of the BMW retrofit PDF that are marked "US Cars Only"
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=422987&da=y
The very first step advises you to cut branches A6 and A7 off the retrofit wire. Mine weren't even there, it was like Tischer prepped the wire for me, I dunno?

4)First pain in the ass step is feeding the wire through the rubber sleeve. I had to feed them wire by wire. After I figured out a little system it got easier but at first I was really frustrated.

5)After feeding the new wires open up the original clip by using that very very small flat head. I couldn't get the 3 wires that are in your mirror to start to back out of the harness so I left them there and added the necessary wires to that harness instead of the new one like the instructions tell you to.

6)Follow the wiring diagram on the PDF(Page 6, section 3) to insert the wires into the proper number plug. Combining page 6 and 12 will guide you as to what color wire goes where.

7)Once everything is plugged in hang the mirror and plug it in and start the car to see if the compass works, if it lights up your done. Now begin reassembling everything, rather easy.

8)Now program the mirror following the instructions in your car manual. Very easy.

Overall this was a rather easy DIY. I made it difficult on myself because I started rather late and it got dark, plus I kept figuring out what tools I needed as I went along.

I would say if you thoroughly read through this DIY and checked all the attached links out and gave yourself a proper understanding of what needs to happen then this DIY shouldn't take no more then 45-60minutes.

Happy Hunting for your Homelink mirror!!!

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
calsynergy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92

Wow nice job! So if I understand correctly you did not have the autodimming mirror/ compass/ homelink mirror and you just bought the part and retrofit wire and it worked? Do you have better more pictures of the install? Sorry I suck at following black and white pictures from the PDF.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Yep, just bought the parts and did the install.

Sorry no more pics. I started just to see if I could do it and got to the point where I figured I'd do it and didn't have my camera and wasn't about to drive with my car all taken apart.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Wow snohman and longtran just retrofitted this for me tonight also. Details to come.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
jackieboy
Self-Proclaimed Bimmer Noob
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I don't have the Premium Package on my car. I have only the normal mirror with the rain sensor behind it. I ran my VIN# over to CircleBMW and they told me "Unfortunately your vehicle does not have the necessary option to use that mirror."

What can I do?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
jrebeiro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Does anyone have the part number of the Retrofit Cable? I have the mirror.. just need the retrofit cable!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
jrebeiro
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Just talked to darkcloud... for anyone who buys the part off eBay or at a salvage yard.. the part number for the retrofit cable is 61120434330.

Good luck to everyone doing this! I picked up my mirror off ebay for $70 and it has Auto-Dim, Homelink, Compass, and the slim-line clown nose! The slim-line clown nose alone was worth the $70

Don't pay $500 for this mirror like others on the forums! They are out there for much, much less!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
jrebeiro
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Just got my retrofit wire today from Circle BMW in Eatontown... FYI Jason is awesome and knows a lot about retrofit mods!

Anyway, install was easy. I guess the new retrofit wires are coming without X14292 connected which makes installation a breeze. Just unclip the secondary catch in the existing X14292 and plug in the branches! Route the wires... not very hard if you remove the tape from the top of the grommet like the instructions say and slide the grommet all the way towards X14292. There was tons of play and the wires slid right through one at a time!

Auto-dim, compass, and Homelink... for $100 installed! Can't beat that with a stick! Next up.. Sirius... I don't have cold-weather tho so I gotta pull my rear seats out! YUCK!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Meats
Silky Johnson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black 328xi

Garage List
2008 328xi  [0.00]
Does anyone have the mirror part #? Also what other sites can i search to find a mirror?
2008 Jet Black 328xi | 189 Wheels | Nav | Steptronic | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Xenon | BMW Assist | Comfort Access | Fold Down Seats | iPod/USB | HD Radio | 35% CS Tints | Happy Robot | V1 Hardwire | Homelink Retrofit | Depo Blacklines |
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
jrebeiro
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkurgan View Post
Does anyone have the mirror part #? Also what other sites can i search to find a mirror?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-A...spagenameZWDVW

About twice the price what I paid for it.. but still cheaper than buying it from BMW.

Just keep searching ebay for "e90 homelink", "bmw homelink", and "bmw mirror" and eventually you will find a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #11
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

This may become a popular mod for folks that want the map remote option on the Procede V3, and don't have homelink.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #12
jh7
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e92

this works the same way for the e92?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
chillbob
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90

Hi Jrebreiro,

I read your message on the homelink mirror retrofit, am trying the DIY and I guess am confused at one of the steps.... the retrofit cable does not have the X14292 connected and the DIY only says to remove the pins 8, 9 and 10 from the already existing X14292 and connect it to the new one...the part I dont understand is which pins should I connect the A2, A3, A4 and A5 wires to?

I appreciate your help..

Regards,
Bobby
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
Wittmann
Germany
Rep
Drives: 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieboy View Post
I don't have the Premium Package on my car. I have only the normal mirror with the rain sensor behind it. I ran my VIN# over to CircleBMW and they told me "Unfortunately your vehicle does not have the necessary option to use that mirror."

What can I do?
You'll have to retrofit auto-dim first.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 02:32 AM   #15
2006e904Me
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Silver/Black

Just installed installed the Homelink retrofit tonight. Here are a few additional tips:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saini023 View Post
1)Follow SGxi DIY to learn how to get the mirror cover and mirror off...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71389
To get the mirror cover off, I tried wiggling my fingers on the two sides but it was on pretty tight. I basically held the cover on both sides and turned it clockwise with a little bit of force and it came right off. As for the mirror, use gentle force turning clockwise and it comes right off as well.

Quote:
2)To get the upper console off place a slim flat head screwdriver in the areas marked to unclip the console.
It's hard to tell where exactly to position the screw driver. As I was poking and prodding, the opaque light cover came off. Once that is off, you can clearly see the grove where the screw driver needs to go in. The light cover just snaps back on.

Quote:
Now that you have the console open and mirror off is when things get a little tricky. Actually, more of a pain in the ass.

3)Follow pages 11 and 12 or section 6 of the BMW retrofit PDF that are marked "US Cars Only"
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=422987&da=y
The very first step advises you to cut branches A6 and A7 off the retrofit wire. Mine weren't even there, it was like Tischer prepped the wire for me, I dunno?

4)First pain in the ass step is feeding the wire through the rubber sleeve. I had to feed them wire by wire. After I figured out a little system it got easier but at first I was really frustrated.
This was indeed a PITA. The official instructions say to remove the adhesive tape but easier said than done. Where the tape meets the rubber grommet is where the tape starts, not ends, so the end of the tape is wrapped underneath itself. I had to just pull it away from the rubber grommet. As for trying to feed the wires through the rubber grommet, the existing wires are wrapped in the felt adhesive tape and it is sticky inside from the tape so the wires don't just slide right through. Also, working from the inside of the console does not give you much room. What I did was pulled down the headliner slightly where the rubber grommet is and lifted rubber grommet and plastic holder off the headliner. I then pulled down on the rubber grommet and wires so that I could work it from the outside near the windshield. Once I fed the new wires through, I placed the rubber grommet and holder back onto the headliner.

Quote:
5)After feeding the new wires open up the original clip by using that very very small flat head. I couldn't get the 3 wires that are in your mirror to start to back out of the harness so I left them there and added the necessary wires to that harness instead of the new one like the instructions tell you to.
Followed these instructions. I used the chart from AoshichanX's write up which was helpful:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121523

Quote:
6)Follow the wiring diagram on the PDF(Page 6, section 3) to insert the wires into the proper number plug. Combining page 6 and 12 will guide you as to what color wire goes where.
The connector is numbered so this step is pretty straight forward. Just follow the official instructions.

For the last two steps, you need to take apart the connectors to insert the wires. To see how to take them apart, check out the parts that come in the retrofit kit. The kit comes with the connectors which you don't need to use but is a good reference to see how they work and do a trial run of taking it apart before working on the real connector.

Quote:
7)Once everything is plugged in hang the mirror and plug it in and start the car to see if the compass works, if it lights up your done. Now begin reassembling everything, rather easy.
Worked like a charm right as soon as I turn on the ignition. The thing that I found interesting was that when the mirror dims, so does the compass.

Quote:
8)Now program the mirror following the instructions in your car manual. Very easy.
Tip here. I tried about 10 times following the instructions in the manual to hold the remote 2 - 8 inches from the mirror. It didn't work until I placed it directly against the mirror when programming.

As for my mirror, I also found it through car-part.com. Tried various combinations to find the part. Mine came from a 2006 330i. Got it from a place called Weber Bros Auto (www.weberbrosauto.com) for $135 shipped. Placed an order on their website and they shipped that day.

Couldn't be happier with the results. Props to those that posted DIYs for me to refer to. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 02:35 AM   #16
2006e904Me
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittmann View Post
You'll have to retrofit auto-dim first.
Not true. I don't have Premium Package on my car. Just the basic mirror. All you need is the retrofit wire.

Last edited by 2006e904Me; 09-22-2008 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #17
parachute
parachute
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
subscribed

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #18
frahuang
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e90 Blk/Blk 6MT

Successful! Thanks OP.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #19
Meats
Silky Johnson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black 328xi

Garage List
2008 328xi  [0.00]
I have 2008 E90. but the current E90 models dont have the compass as far as I can tell.

Does anyone see any issues with getting an older mirror with compass and putting it in the new E90 cars?

The part I'm looking at buying is 51160304488.

***Update, the part above works just fine.
2008 Jet Black 328xi | 189 Wheels | Nav | Steptronic | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Xenon | BMW Assist | Comfort Access | Fold Down Seats | iPod/USB | HD Radio | 35% CS Tints | Happy Robot | V1 Hardwire | Homelink Retrofit | Depo Blacklines |

Last edited by Meats; 11-28-2008 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #20
vrbaba
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Finished this install last week. Thanks a lot for the writeup.

One VERY IMPORTANT tip I would like to share is that you DO NOT have to try and fit the retrofit wire through the rubber grommet. I simply put it on the right side of the rubber grommet towards the windshield and closed the overhead light console. It is not noticeable at all as if something extra is out there or not. Looks untouched. It saved me a lot of time and a great option if you can get it to look right. My rear view mirror cover closed completely which helped in hiding the extra wire much more effectively.

Another tip (actually should be part of the steps) is to REMOVE the little individual round light caps. This will enable you to see the metal clips in the back. I had a hard time getting the metal clips off using everything from a spatula to a screwdriver. I realized I was actually pushing up on the clip, not in between the clip and the base where I needed to, to unclip.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #21
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

I just did this retrofit last week and just an FYI: It took approximately 1 week of use before the mirror operated correctly. Yes I set it to the correct zone.... however it was still about 90 degrees off or it would just show a "C". Just today it started functioning properly.

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #22
welkerbrads
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 white X3

mirror replacement

I replaced mine. It took me about 2 hrs the first time but I believe I can do it now in 30 minuites or so. As for getting the wires through the boot I used a soda straw from Mcdonalds. Pushed the staw through the boot and slid the wires into the straw went through very easy.
Appreciate 0