E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Uneven brake pad wear?

07-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Uneven brake pad wear?

As you know, our cars like to shed break pad dust like crazy. I've come to live with this and actually even like the way it makes the wheels look. But today I got my car washed/waxed. When I came home, the front-left wheel had quite a noticible amount of dust on it, but the front-right had absolutely none. This makes me think the pads are wearing unevenly for some reason.

I assume this is nothing to concern myself about, but I thought I'd ask anyway. What do you guys & gals think?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Maybe they waxed one wheel more than the other?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

pad wear should be fairly uniform. Maybe your fronts might wear a little faster because thats where all the weight is shifted during braking...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
pad wear should be fairly uniform. Maybe your fronts might wear a little faster because thats where all the weight is shifted during braking...
He was comparing left and right sides. Do you drift?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
He was comparing left and right sides. Do you drift?

regularly...

Well, if the car was using the brakes more on one side, then the car would dive in that direction under breaking...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

No I don't drift, and I certainly didn't on the 6 mile drive home Even thinking about all the turns I made, I'd say there was a relatively even balance of left and right turns. All 4 wheels were spotless when I left the car detail place.

And like I said before, I actually like the way a BMW wheel covered in break dust looks - it's like a second badge, of owning a BMW. I'm just curious why front-right had none and front-left had a significant amount.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiSage
No I don't drift, and I certainly didn't on the 6 mile drive home Even thinking about all the turns I made, I'd say there was a relatively even balance of left and right turns. All 4 wheels were spotless when I left the car detail place.

And like I said before, I actually like the way a BMW wheel covered in break dust looks - it's like a second badge, of owning a BMW. I'm just curious why front-right had none and front-left had a significant amount.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'll detail my car this week and run 50 miles of twisties and see if I get similar results as you.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Dont wash your wheels for a week or two... if you still notice a huuuuge difference, then it might be an issue...

otherwise, I wouldnt worry about it...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2006, 08:19 PM   #9
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Quote:
As you know, our cars like to shed break pad dust like crazy. I've come to live with this and actually even like the way it makes the wheels look. But today I got my car washed/waxed. When I came home, the front-left wheel had quite a noticible amount of dust on it, but the front-right had absolutely none. This makes me think the pads are wearing unevenly for some reason.

I assume this is nothing to concern myself about, but I thought I'd ask anyway. What do you guys & gals think?

i have this exact same issue and i cant figure out why
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #10
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

lazy car wash attendant is the answer here!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2006, 03:30 AM   #11
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
lazy car wash attendant is the answer here!
wow this answers the question right here... not

ive had my wheels like this for about a week straight. And there is a lot more dust on the front left vs the front right. but the braking feels fine.
Appreciate 0