E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Eccentric shaft sensor (temporary?) fix

07-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

Eccentric shaft sensor (temporary?) fix

This is an experimental temporary fix to the known problem of the eccentric shaft sensor plug being flooded with oil from a failed seal and going bad from that (the oil causes shorts and generally fouls the sensor, throws OBD2 codes P1016 and eventually P1017).
the sensor costs $350 at minimum and its a 6 hour diy job for a novice. its basically the same as a valve cover gasket job. so obviously i set about a cheaper temporary solution that will last me until i have a weekend to work on this, or until i tackle the valve cover gasket

disclaimer; i literally just did this and i have no idea how long this will last. it could be a permanent fix or it could only last a day. who knows.

!!!!!DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY BEFORE UNPLUGGING THE SENSOR!!!!!!

so, what you'll need
---the tools and time to remove the engine vanity cover, i wont go into detail about how to do that here, but it's maybe half an hour of work to get through. make sure you have the right socket sizes and types!

---a tube of DIELECTRIC GREASE. i got this at lowes in the lawnmower section, but you'll probably find it in an automotive supply store or online. This will fill the plug cavity and prevent oil from entering it, and isolate all the plug prongs with a nice thick non-conductive protective blanket (the contacts will still make an electrical connection, this just prevents outside moisture and in this case oil from getting in)
---some method to clean out a plug of oil, i used a rag and an air compressor, but a can of compressed air for cleaning computers could work.

Once you're looking at the eccentric shaft sensor plug, use a flat blade screwdriver to GENTLY pry the connector clips loose, and pull the plug out, you should be met with this
Name:  eccentric shaft sensor fix BEFORE.jpg
Views: 9191
Size:  380.3 KB

Clean that sucker, i just sprayed vigorously and caught any oil spraying out with the rag, and wiped around. Be VERY careful with engine degreaser or brake cleaner, i didnt try that but it might be too strong considering all the plastic around....
mine looked like this after.
Name:  eccentric shaft sensor fix AFTER.jpg
Views: 10432
Size:  449.7 KB

I didnt get any pictures of this next step because my phone app kept crashing my phone, but basically slather the dielectric grease all over the plug and in the socket. Fill the socket maybe halfway up the height of the connectors. if you overfill, you wont be able to put the plug back in due to overpressure. If that happens you can just wipe some grease out and try again. MAKE SURE BOTH CLIPS ON THE PLUG FULLY CLIP IN! here's the grease i used.
Name:  eccentric shaft sensor fix grease.jpg
Views: 6462
Size:  308.7 KB

this is the result;

if this didnt work for you, your sensor is probably too far gone and the oil has already damaged it permanently, you'll need to replace the thing. sorry!

Stock as stock can be (for now)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

wait nevermind, false alarm, the fix didnt even last one night. i'll probably take down this DIY soon

Stock as stock can be (for now)
Appreciate 0