E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > What Tyre Pressures for these non-RFTyres

02-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Snakes
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F33 MSport 435d xDrive

What Tyre Pressures for these non-RFTyres

My E92 325i MSport had 18" wheels on when I bought it but I opted for 4 x new 19" Cades Tyrus staggered Mesh cross spoke alloys - 19"x8.5" et38 front and 19"x9.5" et35 rear plus 2 x new 235/35/19 and 2 x 265/30/19 Nankang sport NS-2 tyres.

I know the tyres are not the last word in sophistication, but, that apart, what tyre pressures should I use for running alone or with one passenger - does anyone know?

F33 435d xDrive M Sport, Mineral Grey, Cashmere Beige Merino Leather
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
about 40 psi maybe.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Your door plate will cover 19" sizes too (part or fully loaded), I see you're a tad wider than OE, but just start with those pressures and see what you think.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Snakes
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Must be honest that I'm writing this from my sick bed (man flu) but presumed that the door plate would be for run flats and that they would need a different pressure?

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

what are the nankangs like mate?
im switching at the end of the month (pay day!) and i wondered how much difference the extra money between them and falkens would give me.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakes View Post
Must be honest that I'm writing this from my sick bed (man flu) but presumed that the door plate would be for run flats and that they would need a different pressure?
They are, but that doesn't mean non-RFT pressures will be different. Use that as a starting point and see how you go - I run 1 or 2 psi over RFT pressure and it works about right for me
      02-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Snakes
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo99 View Post
what are the nankangs like mate?
im switching at the end of the month (pay day!) and i wondered how much difference the extra money between them and falkens would give me.
To be honest, I suspect the Falkens would perform better under test conditions but I don't drive the car balls out as I have the TVR for that kind of experience. They haven't given me any nasty moments and the £1020 for the set of four wheels and tyres, balanced, delivered, locking wheel set and set of wheel bolts was all I could really justify on top of the cost of the new car.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #8
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

Quote:
To be honest, I suspect the Falkens would perform better under test conditions but I don't drive the car balls out as I have the TVR for that kind of experience. They haven't given me any nasty moments and the £1020 for the set of four wheels and tyres, balanced, delivered, locking wheel set and set of wheel bolts was all I could really justify on top of the cost of the new car.
fair comments! thanks

liking the motor by the way, dont see many that colour, wheels look good too.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #9
Theivz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Project Z

assume they're from mark at bmautosport? got my old lm style wheels from him in 19s

he reports good things about nankangs - similar to what you say

to answer your q - the door sills should give you an idea but...

i was always told as bmws are RWD you should inflate the rear a tad more than the fronts (as the car rocks back when accelerating) so i kept my staggered 19s at 34 front and 36 rear but then i noticed wear on the inner aspect of the tyre (but that maybe the camber on the rears)

i suspect 32 front and 34 rear maybe better. try both and see how it feels?

love both the cars btw
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #10
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theivz View Post
i was always told as bmws are RWD you should inflate the rear a tad more than the fronts (as the car rocks back when accelerating) so i kept my staggered 19s at 34 front and 36 rear but then i noticed wear on the inner aspect of the tyre (but that maybe the camber on the rears)
No need for 'pressure rumours' Theivz, the pressure rating plates tell you to use more pressure on the rear anyway. And all cars (RWD/FWD/4WD) rock backwards when accelerating, provided you are going forwards anyway!

BMW probaly spent millions testing tyre pressures, so 5 minutes chat in the pub car park probably won't come up with a better idea

OP - yes, standard pressures are for RFT, but as said start there and see how you get on.

Pressures are primarily related to tyre width and vehicle weight, neither of which changes when you go to Non RFT.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 02:48 AM   #11
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
obviously you mean the TVR

Snakes - it that a special 4.0ltr conversion? I thought the speed six was a 3.6 in the 350c? awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #12
Theivz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Project Z

fair enough

but FWD/AWD don't rock as much (due to the physics of the movement) hence the reason for bmw as you say increasing the rears otherwise they would recommend all 4 the same like other companies

the door sills provide a range also so once you;ve converted the bar to psi you'll find the pressures i've suggested fall within that range ... i think ...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #13
Snakes
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
fair comments! thanks

Thanks. If you're referring to the BM then thanks. I've always wanted a red 3 series but didn't like the Imola red much so this was spot on for me and I think the wheels are OK but am a little undecided.

If you're referring to the TVR, I shouldn't think there's another one in that colour to be honest. It's a long story but I specced it at the factory in Red Bull Blue pearl and it looked great when pristine clean but when slightly dirty the blue merged with the black highlights (front headlamps, air intakes, windows and rear lights) and it looked a bit "dead". So, after 12 months, as there were a few small paint defects and because several new features had been developed for the car since its launch, TVR were (then) happy to take back to the factory, check it over, upgrade it with all the latest parts (e.g. new dash, new luggage cover, etc) and look at fixing the paint defects. I cheekily put a note in complimenting the factory guys on building a great product and asking if it would be possible, whilst trying to sort the defects, to respray the car in a different colour. They called after 10 days to apologise for it taking so long and consequently they agreed to change colours but I only had that evening to decide what to go for and as it had a Prussian Blue dash top, Portland Grey elsewhere, Navy carpets piped in Portland, Charcoal Lamonta inserts, I needed to find someting light that matched the interior. At the time silver cars were two-a-penny so I opted for this which was a Vauxhall colour called Space Green. You see it occassionally on old Corsas. It was a full, glass, doors, bonnet out job with primer, 4 colour coats, 5 of clear laquer so not cheap for them (but all free for me!). Wheels are standard TVR 18" alloys, known as "spiders".

Quote:
assume they're from mark at bmautosport? got my old lm style wheels from him in 19s
Actually, I looked at getting them from there but had a contact in the trade who has always supplied my wheels and he managed to undercut bya few quid.

Quote:
he reports good things about nankangs - similar to what you say. To answer your q - the door sills should give you an idea but... ...I suspect 32 front and 34 rear maybe better. try both and see how it feels?
Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
OP - yes, standard pressures are for RFT, but as said start there and see how you get on. Pressures are primarily related to tyre width and vehicle weight, neither of which changes when you go to Non RFT.
I guess my other issue was the increase in wheel rim and tyre width over standard.

Quote:
Snakes - it that a special 4.0ltr conversion? I thought the speed six was a 3.6 in the 350c? awesome!
Engine started to display "issues" in 2008 which turned out to be a turned cylinder liner. As it was an early-spec' SP6 engine I felt it best to go for a full rebuild to 4.0ltr Red Rose spec (the factory used to offer that spec as an option) but mine was based on an unused cross-bolted block that was destined for use in the Le Mans cars that never got used. Slow it ain't!

Thanks for all your suggestions, kind comments and help guys.

Last edited by Snakes; 02-17-2012 at 04:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 04:19 AM   #14
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
but FWD/AWD don't rock as much (due to the physics of the movement) hence the reason for bmw as you say increasing the rears otherwise they would recommend all 4 the same like other companies
Rubbish

Go back to your high school science lessons and try again
      02-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #15
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
fair enough

The weight transfer cause by braking is far greater than under accleration (i.e. road cars stop quicker than they go), so by that measure we should all pump up our front tyres more than the rear?

The rear weight transfer under acceleration (in any road car) is minimal, adding passengers or loading the boot will have much more effect, and that's the same for any car.

But anyway, the rating plate is good reference point to start with.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #16
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Engine started to display "issues" in 2008 which turned out to be a turned cylinder liner. As it was an early-spec' SP6 engine I felt it best to go for a full rebuild to 4.0ltr Red Rose spec (the factory used to offer that spec as an option) but mine was based on an unused cross-bolted block that was destined for use in the Le Mans cars that never got used. Slow it ain't!
I've been looking for a hairy chested, noisy, little bit scary, weekend car, and the 350c pretty much tick all the boxes and I keep scouring the classifieds for them.

Hmmm jealous buddy!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #17
Snakes
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I presume you are looking on PistonHeads? That seems to be the place as there is such a strong TVR presence on the whole site. I would just be wary of an early (2003/4) car that hasn't had an engine rebuild as it almost certainly will need one at some time.

I promise you, it will be the most rewarding car you'll ever buy as long as you don't listen to the pub bar bores (or Top Gear for that matter) and you go into ownership with your eyes open.

TVR owners are a really friendly and supportive bunch so if you need any guidance or help to select a car just ask. Someone will jump in their car or get on the phone and offer to get stuck in.

Email me if you need anything.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #18
Snakes
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've been looking for a hairy chested, noisy, little bit scary, weekend car, and the 350c pretty much tick all the boxes and I keep scouring the classifieds for them.
Actually, I've just checked PistonHeads http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/lis...dist=&nodays=0 and there's nothing there that Iwould go for. The two at Track v Road could be worth it as they have such a good reputation and are great guys to deal with. For me I just can't get on with anthracite or black wheels!

Appreciate 0