E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Anyone with experience of Windows Phone 7?

03-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Anyone with experience of Windows Phone 7?

Specifically 7.5? Which with the correct hardware I believe will upgrade to 8?

I'm at the end of a mobile contract and I've used a 3GS and iOS for the last two years or so. Even though imo iOS ticks all the boxes I fancy something different. It's a sort of geek itch I guess. The iPhone and iOS 'just works'. Does WP7?

And sorry but Android is out.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Heard good things about WP7 (Mango) and the Nokia Lumina
      03-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

With iphone, everything is around home button. Whatever you do, you press home button to get out/back to main menu.

With Windows 7/8, you will have multiple taps (like android) and multiple functions.
Not bad IMO, but you will struggle to have good applications collection.
If you are new app fans, then stay away from it.
      03-13-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

To be honest I'm not big on Apps. The ones I use most often are either the ones that come with the iPhone or stuff like Twitter which is widely available on any platform. And it would probably be the Nokia Lumia 800.

The thing that is holding me back the most is the fact that I like Apple's complete control over all hardware and software when it comes to their products. No carrier branding, no dropping hardware support after 6 months, no reliance on a carrier/manufacturer for software updates. That's the main reason Android is out for me. But if Microsoft and Nokia continue to support the handset for a couple of years then it's all good. I don't want to go back to my pre-iPhone days with a Nokia N9x where I'm waiting on my carrier to release updates from Nokia and if they do release they fuck about with them and put their branding all over it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I had n97 on launch day.... Had plenty of troubles as ram was damn low. Went for N900 on launch day. Great hardware and software. Maemo and it went well except I am app fan and there were limited apps.
After that reading nokia profile and windows phone, I simply returned to iOS.
Nokia need serious planning especially on OS.
Personally windows phones are boring for me. You are leaving you computer at home and when you pick up phone to play, its again windows.
As you mentioned that you use stock applications and hardly any others, then go for it.
      03-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

It turns out I can return it to Orange within 14 days if I hate it. So that's that sorted.

But if it turns out I do like it then what if I'm left with an unsupported device in 6 to 12 months? Either Microsoft, Nokia or Orange stiffing me. Ho hum. Proper First World Problem this is

Something else to keep in mind is Windows 8/Windows Phone 8. From what I can gather the Lumia should run it and with Windows 8 I see a bright future for the phone version.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
It turns out I can return it to Orange within 14 days if I hate it. So that's that sorted.

But if it turns out I do like it then what if I'm left with an unsupported device in 6 to 12 months? Either Microsoft, Nokia or Orange stiffing me. Ho hum. Proper First World Problem this is

Something else to keep in mind is Windows 8/Windows Phone 8. From what I can gather the Lumia should run it and with Windows 8 I see a bright future for the phone version.
I don't think the lumina will be left behind, its the flagship windows handset. Wp8 could be v.nice yeah
      03-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
JJD
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If you want an unbranded handset get your phone from a non carrier retailer e.g. Car Phone Warehouse.

No experience of Win7 phones but I hear Nokia phones are better now than period around and after the N97 flop.

For me I'm waiting for the HTC One X, I've had a few HTC handsets and this looks like a great phone plus I like Android (my 17 month old HTC HD is still supported through Orange).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD View Post
If you want an unbranded handset get your phone from a non carrier retailer e.g. Car Phone Warehouse.

No experience of Win7 phones but I hear Nokia phones are better now than period around and after the N97 flop.

For me I'm waiting for the HTC One X, I've had a few HTC handsets and this looks like a great phone plus I like Android (my 17 month old HTC HD is still supported through Orange).
There is more flexibility around Android. Once your phone is out of warranty, you can pretty much cook whatever you like and throw into your phone (after rooting).
Played with cooked ROMS, on S2 and Galaxy note. Brilliant stuff.
      03-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #10
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I think my flirtation with WP7/Nokia is over before it really started. I decided to jump on the official Nokia support forum last night, somewhere I haven't been since tearing my hair out with the N9x phones. One of my major gripes with Nokia at that time was that they promised much but delivered little. Especially when it came to support software or enhancements such as workable Bluetooth streaming or nav. Their PC software suites were also buggy and amateurish at best. At the time I formed the opinion that Nokia couldn't run a piss up in a brewery and moving to the iPhone was a revelation.

Firstly the site wouldn't display correctly with IE9, compatibility view or not. I dismissed this as a minor niggle. Secondly I spent quite a while crafting a carefully thought out enquiry containing my questions and concerns. Hit submit and 'an unexpected error occurred'. Lost it. I went a bit spastic.

Now I know that I shouldn't really judge based on this but I took it as a sign. I think I was touched by the hand of Jobs. He sent an angel to remind me what a shower Nokia are.

And mark my words. If Windows Phone sinks it won't be anything to do with Microsoft, Steve Ballmer, Android or Apple. It will be those Finnish fuckwits.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #11
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I am glad that you worked on it, before having one.
I have always been Nokia fan, from 3310--> N70 ---> N87---> N90----> N95---> iphone (when it launched and hate it)----> N96---> N97 ----> N900 ----> Galaxy SII ----> Galaxy Note ----> BACK to iphone.

Worth of mentioning that history and I always struggled to have proper support (firmware, support) from N95 onward. I guess N95 was last legend from Nokia.

From there on, Nokia ship sank and sank badly. They launched their phones without extensive testing (firmware) and leave the consumers to find their own way.
I have also helped Nokia to develop the way, they should optimize the ram in N97, and I was moderator for them (N97 section). That was a waste of time, helping million peoples online and suggesting them what they should do.
Moved to N900 and it was relief, but again limited apps.

After N900, they could not come up with proper phone (N9 is dead due to limited MeeGO funtionality).

As I said, I was loyal customer to them like many others, who moved on to different brand / OS due to lack of Nokia innovation, and proper support. They are outdated, and will remain outdated, if they do not come up with proper OS and its support.
      03-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Just to expand on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD View Post
...I popped into CW and asked about the 4S. Yes it's true, they are unlocked says the salesman. But as soon as you insert a SIM they lock to that carrier. Even the ones direct from Apple.

Really? says I.

Popped into another CW and exactly the same response.

Now two members of staff at two different stores have come out with the same shite. That can't be coincidence. That's being trained to lie directly to a customer.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #13
JJD
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Just to expand on this...

...I popped into CW and asked about the 4S. Yes it's true, they are unlocked says the salesman. But as soon as you insert a SIM they lock to that carrier. Even the ones direct from Apple.

Really? says I.

Popped into another CW and exactly the same response.

Now two members of staff at two different stores have come out with the same shite. That can't be coincidence. That's being trained to lie directly to a customer.
Something fishy but then Apple are control freaks, I wouldn't rule it out
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

The ones from Apple are truly unlocked. The ones from Carphone Warehouse are sim-free. They play on the public's general ignorance or the ambiguity between the terms. Stick an O2/Voda/Orange/whatever SIM into an iPhone from Carphone Warehouse and it will remain O2/Voda/Orange/whatever.

So £499 for an unlocked handset from Apple. Or £499 for a locked handset from Carphone Warehouse. I know which I'd choose.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
asiansensation239
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Nokia Lumia 800

Quote:
To be honest I'm not big on Apps. The ones I use most often are either the ones that come with the iPhone or stuff like Twitter which is widely available on any platform. And it would probably be the Nokia Lumia 800.

The thing that is holding me back the most is the fact that I like Apple's complete control over all hardware and software when it comes to their products. No carrier branding, no dropping hardware support after 6 months, no reliance on a carrier/manufacturer for software updates. That's the main reason Android is out for me. But if Microsoft and Nokia continue to support the handset for a couple of years then it's all good. I don't want to go back to my pre-iPhone days with a Nokia N9x where I'm waiting on my carrier to release updates from Nokia and if they do release they fuck about with them and put their branding all over it.

I know exactly what you mean. I switched from an iPhone 4 to a Nokia Lumia 800 last month. Android is out for me because it simply doesn't provide the fluidity (even simple screen swipes and animations, browser scrolling and such) that iOS is perfect at. And its not a well optimized OS for the hardware. So many of androids are "dual-core", but the OS itself doesn't efficiently utilize the dual-core power, thus the laggy UI. The thing about Windows Phone (esp. the Nokia 800 device) is this fluidity and hardware optimization! All the major apps are available on the Windows Phone appstore and social integration inside the OS is quite impressive. Practically speaking, those "dual core" android devices don't offer the speed snappiness and user experience fluidity that iOS or Windows Phone offers. Personally, I'm a bit tired of the iOS interface and reliance on iTunes to do E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.

I am an independent app developer and I received the Nokia 800 from MS as a gift. It is a single core phone, yet it is faster than those dual core devices out there. As for Windows Phone 8, currently Microsoft is preparing to launch the desktop/laptop/tablet version of the OS and so, every windows phone WILL be single core until they announce the next OS update for windows phones (codenamed Apollo, scheduled to release end of 2012 - all current phones are expected to get it since all of them have almost exactly the same hardware specs). And around end-2013 or later, when windows 8 is deeply set in the market, Microsoft will announce the follow-up update for windows phone OS which will support dual-core devices. So, if you were to get a Lumia 800 right now, you're set for the at least next 1.5 to 2 years for "hardware and software support". In fact, the way MS and Nokia are going, they will introduce handsets with EVEN LESSER power than the Nokia Lumia 800/900. This is because the Windows Phone OS is extremely optimized and will run just fine under less powerful less expensive hardware too. All the complaints of "windows phone not being dual-core" are widely misinformed. Bottom line is, if you get a high-end flagship-level windows phone device right now, you will absolutely get support for a good amount of time. And when I say flagship-level device with international support, the Lumia 800/900 top the list.

Both have the exact same design, with the Lumia 800 being a bit smaller at 3.7" screen and Lumia 900 at 4.3". The 900 also has a front-facing camera. So the first thing I'd suggest go to the at&t store and play with the Nokia Lumia 900 (it is on display at almost every location). That phone has the same design language at the Lumia 800, except it has a 4.3" screen and is a bit thicker. For me, the 3.7" Lumia 800 is a more optimal size, but everyone has their own preferences. Second thing I'd suggest is to check out the "Windows Phone Marketplace" from the computer browser and look at the available apps. If they have the apps you use the most, its only a matter of whether or not As a matter of fact, the Lumia 900 is available for little to no cost on AT&T right now.

Source of info: I'm a software engineer.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 03:14 AM   #16
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that. And odd that you should post this now. In the end I played safe and went with the 4S but I'm bored of it already. As in it's an amazing bit of hardware but obviously iOS is iOS. Brilliant but exactly the same as my 3GS. I'm just missing that 'fiddle with it' factor
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #17
tomat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d E91

Hello guys. If somebody owns WP7 Nokia, can you tell if there are some problems with bluetooth pairing with iDrive? My 5800 works with it well and I don't know how WP7 would be doing.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #18
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI Mk7.5

I've just got a Lumia 900 and had no problems pairing with my 2007 iDrive, reading contacts and so on.
      06-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #19
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

What are your thoughts on the 900? What did you have previously?

Still a bit 'meh' with iOS and there's still a handset that can be changed at work.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI Mk7.5

I had an HTC Desire previously. My first thoughts on the Nokia after switching it on were, "Wow, it's slick!" Everything feels very snappy and responsive compared to my HTC - I think they've made clever use of transition effects to allow them to buffer data without the phone appearing sluggish. Having had it for a week or so now, I'm still just as impressed. If you regularly read emails on a phone or use it to manage an Exchange task list, it's second to none in my opinion (though I've never tried a Blackberry, which are supposed to be good for email).
      07-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #21
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Reading this over at El Reg reminded me of this thread and particularly this reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiansensation239 View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I switched from an iPhone 4 to a Nokia Lumia 800 last month. Android is out for me because it simply doesn't provide the fluidity (even simple screen swipes and animations, browser scrolling and such) that iOS is perfect at. And its not a well optimized OS for the hardware. So many of androids are "dual-core", but the OS itself doesn't efficiently utilize the dual-core power, thus the laggy UI. The thing about Windows Phone (esp. the Nokia 800 device) is this fluidity and hardware optimization! All the major apps are available on the Windows Phone appstore and social integration inside the OS is quite impressive. Practically speaking, those "dual core" android devices don't offer the speed snappiness and user experience fluidity that iOS or Windows Phone offers. Personally, I'm a bit tired of the iOS interface and reliance on iTunes to do E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.

I am an independent app developer and I received the Nokia 800 from MS as a gift. It is a single core phone, yet it is faster than those dual core devices out there. As for Windows Phone 8, currently Microsoft is preparing to launch the desktop/laptop/tablet version of the OS and so, every windows phone WILL be single core until they announce the next OS update for windows phones (codenamed Apollo, scheduled to release end of 2012 - all current phones are expected to get it since all of them have almost exactly the same hardware specs). And around end-2013 or later, when windows 8 is deeply set in the market, Microsoft will announce the follow-up update for windows phone OS which will support dual-core devices. So, if you were to get a Lumia 800 right now, you're set for the at least next 1.5 to 2 years for "hardware and software support". In fact, the way MS and Nokia are going, they will introduce handsets with EVEN LESSER power than the Nokia Lumia 800/900. This is because the Windows Phone OS is extremely optimized and will run just fine under less powerful less expensive hardware too. All the complaints of "windows phone not being dual-core" are widely misinformed. Bottom line is, if you get a high-end flagship-level windows phone device right now, you will absolutely get support for a good amount of time. And when I say flagship-level device with international support, the Lumia 800/900 top the list.

Both have the exact same design, with the Lumia 800 being a bit smaller at 3.7" screen and Lumia 900 at 4.3". The 900 also has a front-facing camera. So the first thing I'd suggest go to the at&t store and play with the Nokia Lumia 900 (it is on display at almost every location). That phone has the same design language at the Lumia 800, except it has a 4.3" screen and is a bit thicker. For me, the 3.7" Lumia 800 is a more optimal size, but everyone has their own preferences. Second thing I'd suggest is to check out the "Windows Phone Marketplace" from the computer browser and look at the available apps. If they have the apps you use the most, its only a matter of whether or not As a matter of fact, the Lumia 900 is available for little to no cost on AT&T right now.

Source of info: I'm a software engineer.
Even though the Nokia Windows Phones are nice kit it looks as if my caution was justified.

Quote:
after recent revelations that the Lumia 900 will never see a Windows 8 upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #22
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Missus has had a 710 Lumia for a couple of weeks and loves it. Although see said the hardest thing to do with it, is make phone calls.
Appreciate 0