E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > E90 Headlamp replacement (H7) - DIY

11-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
slinknet
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d

E90 Headlamp replacement (H7) - DIY

If you have smallish hands, you don't need to take out the cover in the wheelarch to access the headlamp unit. Although it's a fairly tight fit inside the bonnet (hood) area it can just about be done from there.

The first photo shows the back cover of the headlight unit. The top of the cover contains a small recess where the retaining clip is held. If you feel for the wire clip and push it upwards, it will unclip allowing the cover to be removed by lifting upwards. The clip will remain in place until you put the cover back on. Check that the rubber grommet is OK all the way around as this seals the lamp from the elements.

The lamp housing can now be seen (see second photo). If you follow the steps below it will be easy to replace the lamp.

1) Pull off the block connector. Note that the two wire connection is at the botton, and a single wire at the top. This can be fairly stiff to remove.

2) Unclip the wire retainer by pushing it slightly towards the car wing. (There is just a small hook that keeps it in place). The wire spring can then be lowered over the rear of the lamp. The lamp can then be removed by holding the connectors and pulling it backwards out of the light housing. The new lamp can be replaced the same way, so you do not touch the glass.

3) When replacing the lamp, make sure that the small metal obtrusion on the fixing plate is facing upwards. The lamp should then lock into place.

4) Move the wire retainer up and over the lamp unit and clip back into place.

5) Push the connector block back over the terminals, it should be a tight fit. Now is a good time to check the headlight. Then drop the cover into the two holding points (the rubber grommet should be towards you). You should now be able to feel for the spring clip to pull down and snap into place holding the cover tight.
Attached Images

Last edited by slinknet; 11-09-2009 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

great guide, but i think you should open this in the DIY area
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
BimmerSD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i/Prem/Nav/Sp/20%tint

Would this DIY work for xenon headlamps?
      11-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
wasup1357
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

i think this is a repost, there is already a DIY on the H7 bulbs in the DIY section (look in the index)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
BMWE9X
Rep
Drives: F30 328i sedan -- E46 M3 6MT

Do you know the part number for that metal/wire retainer? My sister's car needs a new one because it's missing after someone tried to help replace a bulb and bent it to oblivion.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
srjones10
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 6 speed manual

I need this part, too. It flew off the feeble mounting tabs when I was attempting to replace the bulb. My dealer informs we that this part is not available alone, only available if you buy the entire headlight assembly (reflector, lens, mounting hardware) for something between $200-300.

I can't find a 3rd party retailer on the net that has it after substantial effort spent searching.

I thjnk I'm going to try to rig an alternative method of holding the H7 bulb with wire and zip ties.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
Gatchek
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535Xi

You may want to check out a junkyard, if you have one nearby. That is, of your macGuiver method doesn't work. Junk yards are great for getting little parts that the dealers don't carry.