E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > IPOD - Not a duplicate REALLY!

07-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
Lukeswarm
Always Warm
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i M-Sport

IPOD - Not a duplicate REALLY!

Hi

Before everyone jumps on the the forum insults I HAVE

I REALLY want to control my iPOD through my Professional stereo!

REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY

I have seached high and low and i really want it to be BMW authentic not for example Dension.

I have looked if you can retrofit a USB port and apparently the answer is No??? Really!!!! No?????

I have looked for instructions on retrofitting iPOD connection and nothing other than a dealer PDF which was confusing as hell and i guess means noone has tried this?

Whats actually "do-able"?

Let the insults begin

and yes i have seen this http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=retrofit+usb and i counted 3 not possibles, 2 i have it fitted and 1 its coming in the future - concidering the 2 dealers i called said its not possible is there a definative answer?

Last edited by Lukeswarm; 07-15-2008 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: Update:
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeswarm View Post
Hi

Before everyone jumps on the the forum insults I HAVE

I REALLY want to control my iPOD through my Professional stereo!

REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY

I have seached high and low and i really want it to be BMW authentic not for example Dension.

I have looked if you can retrofit a USB port and apparently the answer is No??? Really!!!! No?????

I have looked for instructions on retrofitting iPOD connection and nothing other than a dealer PDF which was confusing as hell and i guess means noone has tried this?

Whats actually "do-able"?

Let the insults begin

and yes i have seen this http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=retrofit+usb and i counted 3 not possibles, 2 i have it fitted and 1 its coming in the future - concidering the 2 dealers i called said its not possible is there a definative answer?
There is a dealer fit IPOD interface that can be retro-fitted. It emulates a 6 cd autochanger with each 'cd' being a playlist and is controllable via the stereo or idrive if you have it.

This system now also comes with a USB port to enable music playback from a USB flash drive or hard disk.

It does not give the same functionality as the factory fit option, but it's the best BMW do.

There is also a Dension product which does the same sort of thing.

I've not used either, so I can't recommend which way to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP Convertible

I'd support NFS on the dealer fit option.

I'm not sure how it's done, but I do know that Wakefield BMW can fit it and that it's an Ipod cable that fits inside the glove or coin box and requires a re-programme of the iDrive. They'll also relieve you of £350 notes for the work. They didn't mention the full USB install in the arm rest.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
I also was told it was impossible without a different"head unit" "brain" or whatever its called - hence why I ended up with the Harmon Kardon unit - this works great though.