E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Where do you live and work???

07-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 VW GTI

Where do you live and work???

Hello!
I'm moving back to the DC area next week and i've started looking for real estate... needless to say when i look at prices of homes I go

I'm going to be working downtown, right off the mall, and will be staying in rockville, md until i find a place of my own... I'd been looking in bethesda/rockville area, but now i'm really considering NOVA (arlington, alexandria)...

My only requirements are easy access to the metro (ie. walking or really short bus ride)... and i'd like to be close to downtown..

Any suggestions?
I don't know NOVA at all... so that's where i'd appreciate guidance
      07-01-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

good luck with that commute. Rockville or those parts of NoVa are probably some of the worst and you'll pay a premium to live near metro. however those are nice areas. you'll find that the commute from any place into the city is FUCKED!!!! and taking metro will save lots of wear and tear on your e90.

what about living in the city, like Woodley Park or Chevy Chase?

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
Rep
Drives: Three-Three-Five

Are you buying or renting? What type of place do you need - 1BR, multiple bedrooms, apt/condo versus house, etc.? What's your priority in terms of neighborhood - do you want to be near fun stuff (bars, things to do/see) or near real-life stuff (grocery stores, easier access to highways)? Those factors will go a long way.
      07-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
HennarotM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e90 M3

If you don't want to pay to live in the District but still want to walk to stuff, you might be interested in rental properties at Pentagon Row (Pentagon City metro), Courthouse & Ballston area.
      07-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Let me know if you need a realtor. My uncle is one and he can take care of you finding you a place in VA. :-)

Welcome back. DC suburbs has changed over the years, it's so much different than it was 5-6 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
HennarotM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e90 M3

I'm certainly no expert on this, but my perception is that you can get a better value right now if you buy. The rental market appears to be saturated (and thus prices are being driven up) because potential buyers want to wait and see what the buying market does. If you have the flexibility to buy, I think you can definitely get more house for your money per month than if you rent.
      07-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm looking to buy... I don't want to rent, if my only option was renting i'd stay in rockville for free It's a 5 min walk to the metro, which will be the only convenience of living there... the metro the only option for going to work, i'm not driving my Precious and paying for parking!
Ideally i'd like a townhouse 2/3br 2ba + garage (I want to stay away from the ridiculously high condo fees as much as possible). I want a place that has easy access to "real-life stuff" (grocery stores, easier access to highways, etc...) and the only reason i'm not considering DC is because of the 8.5% state income tax!!!
I think my list is a bit much for my price range... but I like to shoot for the moon
      07-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDreamofBimmers View Post
I'm looking to buy... I don't want to rent, if my only option was renting i'd stay in rockville for free It's a 5 min walk to the metro, which will be the only convenience of living there... the metro the only option for going to work, i'm not driving my Precious and paying for parking!
Ideally i'd like a townhouse 2/3br 2ba + garage (I want to stay away from the ridiculously high condo fees as much as possible). I want a place that has easy access to "real-life stuff" (grocery stores, easier access to highways, etc...) and the only reason i'm not considering DC is because of the 8.5% state income tax!!!
I think my list is a bit much for my price range... but I like to shoot for the moon

Hey,
Shoot me an email at matt@masters-realty.com or PM me.

I'm the regional sales manager for our brokerage....I'll do whatever I can to help you.

Also, if you think the prices are bad now....you should have seen them at the end of 2005!!!
      07-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
Hey,
Shoot me an email at matt@masters-realty.com or PM me.

I'm the regional sales manager for our brokerage....I'll do whatever I can to help you.

Also, if you think the prices are bad now....you should have seen them at the end of 2005!!!
or yeah you can use Matt as well.
A playboy amongst us.

:-)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
or yeah you can use Matt as well.
A playboy amongst us.

:-)

still need to get that ventureshield!! Been too busy/lazy to fix my rock chips though
      07-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks Matt and I hate to do this, but I already have an agent...
he's a friend of the family, so i'd feel bad if i dropped him now after the time he's put in so far.. I just wanted a feel for the areas in NOVA and what people thought would be a good fit... Also, if you know of new developments i'd be interested in those as well

TIA!!
      07-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #12
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Matt and I hate to do this, but I already have an agent...
he's a friend of the family, so i'd feel bad if i dropped him now after the time he's put in so far.. I just wanted a feel for the areas in NOVA and what people thought would be a good fit... Also, if you know of new developments i'd be interested in those as well

TIA!!
completely understood! I'm sure he/her will do just fine for you

welcome to the area, hopefully see you at a few meets.......and sorry about the traffic
      07-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
That sounds like $500k-700k range depending on the area...

btw, DC is cheaper than Montgomery or PG county in terms of expenses.
      07-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #14
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
That sounds like $500k-700k range depending on the area...

btw, DC is cheaper than Montgomery or PG county in terms of expenses.
OUCH!!!! I was thinking of $400k

So you say DC is cheaper... can you elaborate?
cheaper than NOVA?
      07-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #15
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
completely understood! I'm sure he/her will do just fine for you

welcome to the area, hopefully see you at a few meets.......and sorry about the traffic
It's ok... you should see traffic in Seattle!
      07-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #16
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
It's ok... you should see traffic in Seattle!
Traffic is pretty bad here. I grew up just outside NYC, and the traffic is worse here than it was in NY.

Townhome with a garage and specs you stated previously and to be close to the Metro (inside the beltway) will probably be around $500k. If you are going to be in the area for a while, it might be a worthwhile investment.

I bought a TH in Ashburn, and work in Ashburn. Prices are a little less outside the beltway, but not much different.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #17
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OUCH!!!! I was thinking of $400k

So you say DC is cheaper... can you elaborate?
cheaper than NOVA?
You won't get anything with a 2 car garage for less than $600k in if you want to walk to a Metro station. Trust me I have been looking for the past 2 months. I looked at 40+ townhouses, if you want to park and ride then choices are much greater and prices are less as well. Of course, It all depends on the area you are looking at though.

The District published a study on the cost of living comparison (tax burden) between the 6 major areas in DC Metro:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/rawfi...irginia_m.html

Quote:
If you're up the income scale at $150,000 a year, the ranking breaks down like this:
Montgomery: $16,551
Prince George's $16,455
D.C. $15,027
Fairfax $13,317
Arlington $13,302
Alexandria $13,117
Source: http://www.cfo.dc.gov/cfo/frames.asp...metro-area.pdf
      07-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #18
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep

thanks for the info...
where have you been looking?

Quote:
You won't get anything with a 2 car garage for less than $600k in if you want to walk to a Metro station. Trust me I have been looking for the past 2 months. I looked at 40+ townhouses, if you want to park and ride then choices are much greater and prices are less as well. Of course, It all depends on the area you are looking at though.

The District published a study on the cost of living comparison (tax burden) between the 5 major areas in DC Metro:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/rawfi...irginia_m.html

Source: http://www.cfo.dc.gov/cfo/frames.asp...metro-area.pdf
      07-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #19
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the info...
where have you been looking?
Mostly in Vienna, Arlington and certain parts of Falls Church. I dare not venture in McLean...

I need to live next to a Metro station to have the flexibility of driving or taking the subway.
      07-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I need to live next to a Metro station to have the flexibility of driving or taking the subway.
I'm in the same boat! I don't want to drive into DC... i'm thinking a condo might be a better fit now... but i'm worried about resale in the future.. especially since they are being built everywhere!!!!
anyone know anything about Midtown Alexandria?
      07-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #21
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm in the same boat! I don't want to drive into DC... i'm thinking a condo might be a better fit now... but i'm worried about resale in the future.. especially since they are being built everywhere!!!!
anyone know anything about Midtown Alexandria?
Condos have tanked, I know this because I bought one.

I think the prices now for condos are more reasonable and they are discounting them a lot, I am 100% sure that if you put in a reasonable offer, it will not be rejected.

Any of the condos that are taller than 4 floors are better due to the concrete construction, also any that are within 4 blocks of a Metro station will retain their value from the current down pricing. I would look in NoVA or Rockville if you are buying a condo, along orange and red lines.
      07-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #22
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Condos have tanked, I know this because I bought one.

I think the prices now for condos are more reasonable and they are discounting them a lot, I am 100% sure that if you put in a reasonable offer, it will not be rejected.

Any of the condos that are taller than 4 floors are better due to the concrete construction, also any that are within 4 blocks of a Metro station will retain their value from the current down pricing. I would look in NoVA or Rockville if you are buying a condo, along orange and red lines.
Oh! Sorry to hear about your condo!
My agent is telling me that NOVA is worse off than Mont. CO... and wouldn't recommend it... i personally think he's smoking something because i'm seeing some decent deals on condos in NOVA, and taxes are lower, AND it's convenient for work... ahhhh decisions decisions