E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > can't program garage door opener HELP

01-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
FUTBiM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 SG SP

can't program garage door opener HELP

ok, i've always lazy as to programming my garage door to the homelink system (had a Jeep the last 5 years and it never work... never bothered to try more than twice neither)

Now just got the bimmer and I can't stand having the garage remote in the car.

I got a regular Craftsman door opener 3 years old, i guess i uses the random sequence but even following the instructions I can't get it to work... getting $%$//$?%? frustrated.

resetted the learn button, press 3 times after clearing the memory yet NOTHING

I really need help -- garage door homelink 101, had anyone have success with it?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
FUTBiM
Private First Class
Rep

ahhhhhh ok... !!! I'll try that this week-end or Wednesday, freezing rain out there at the moment! snow tomorrow... damm Canada hehehehhe

Thanks, I'll keep you posted!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Progress report?

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
FUTBiM
Private First Class
Rep

Will try tonite! hopefully all functionnal
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
pepper135I
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 6mt

I was struggling prior to finding this thread, thank you got it. To work first try!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
It's actually very easy.

1. Insert key in car, press the start button to turn on ACC mode. (you can start the car, but there is no need).
2. Press the first button and the last button together for 25 seconds. The light should flash rapidly at that point. By doing so the homelink memory is erased.
3. Place your remote control between the mirror and the windshield (driver side) and press and hold both the remote button and button 1 (if that's the one you want to program to open the door). Pay attention to the LED light beside the 3 buttons. It should flash slowly, then flash rapidly. When it flashes rapidly, release both buttons.

(DON'T STOP NOW. YOU ARE NOT DONE YET).

4. Grab a ladder and pop open the bulb shield (or whatever you call it) on your Sears garage door opener. Look for the red square LEARN button. Press it once and the orange LED light will lid up. Quickly press and hold the button on your homelink mirror (Button 1) until the lightbulb on the garage door opener blinks on and off.
5. Press the homelink button that you programmed and see if that opens the door.

Good luck
That was absolutely perfect except the very last step... you have to press the Homelink button inside the car 3 times while the opener is in LEARN mode, the garage should open (or close) on the 3rd push.
      05-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Revelation19
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i, Sports Package

Takashi & Wrickem,
THIS WORKS!!! I had been struggling, but then tried your procedure, and it worked perfectly. THANKS!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
nickgoa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
That was absolutely perfect except the very last step... you have to press the Homelink button inside the car 3 times while the opener is in LEARN mode, the garage should open (or close) on the 3rd push.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
It's actually very easy.

1. Insert key in car, press the start button to turn on ACC mode. (you can start the car, but there is no need).
2. Press the first button and the last button together for 25 seconds. The light should flash rapidly at that point. By doing so the homelink memory is erased.
3. Place your remote control between the mirror and the windshield (driver side) and press and hold both the remote button and button 1 (if that's the one you want to program to open the door). Pay attention to the LED light beside the 3 buttons. It should flash slowly, then flash rapidly. When it flashes rapidly, release both buttons.

(DON'T STOP NOW. YOU ARE NOT DONE YET).

4. Grab a ladder and pop open the bulb shield (or whatever you call it) on your Sears garage door opener. Look for the red square LEARN button. Press it once and the orange LED light will lid up. Quickly press and hold the button on your homelink mirror (Button 1) until the lightbulb on the garage door opener blinks on and off.
5. Press the homelink button that you programmed and see if that opens the door.

Good luck

This is something that has been bugging me for a while...

I kept trying at different times and then have just lived with it for a while.
Now I have some free time and trying to tackle it again.

You have set out some very specific and simple instructions to follow...
however I can not get past step 3. I have tried pressing both remote buttons (tried button 1,2 and 3 in the car) and the garage door opener and the homelink button continues to blink on a slow pace.. I've tried different angles, from the front of the mirror, behind etc. I can not get it to fast blink.
so I can move on.... (side note: I know it can fastblink since it does in step 2 where the memory gets cleared.)

I've tried putting the garage door mechanism on learn mode and then starting the process...and still same results. This happens for both the outside gate door to the property and the garage door. I can not get either to get past step 3.

Any suggestions whatsover?

the car is a US spec bimmer in Europe.

Thanks,

Nick
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
Sejzilla
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: AW 14 M5 ZCP

how about when i live at an apartment complex and i dont have access to the garage machine only the remote? because my grls tsx garage opener was able to be programmed just by using the remote of the garage?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
JAY6647
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i (E90)

Thanks Guys...it worked like a charm!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
mkshfr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M package

Finally

My garage door has NO learn button, it has dip switches. I followed the instructions on the forum and it worked perfectly. I had to hold the "1" and my remote button for about 40 seconds before it flashed fast. After that I pushed the "1" button slowly three times, paused for about 5 seconds and pushed it again and my door was operating perfectly from my car. Hope this helps !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Not to thread jack, but is there anyway to set up my homelink for my apartment gate? Guessing not but this would be nice.
      03-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
sdalpha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 30 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
Not to thread jack, but is there anyway to set up my homelink for my apartment gate? Guessing not but this would be nice.
Yes, typically gates don't have rolling codes, so you shouldn't need to press a learn button. Follow the procedure to program a button with your gate remote. If you already have a button programmed to your garage, don't reset the Homelink transmitter; unless the other two buttons were previously programmed for another function. In that case, you'll have to reprogram the button to open your garage.
      05-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

finally got mine to work too
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
GeorgFF1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 320i Sedan

you should erase previous settings before programming, that's the most common cause of failure when programming - read here: Learn how to program your remote
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #16
ds2000
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 320d E90

Hi. I've bought a mirror with garage door opener.

When I try to reset the mirror the led doesn't do anything..

Any idea?

Thanks
Appreciate 0