E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Anyone here running Torque Pro on their Android?

01-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Anyone here running Torque Pro on their Android?

I tried couple days ago, but my boost readings are off. Anyone else has this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

where do i get it to install it on my Galaxy III
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
where do i get it to install it on my Galaxy III
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en
      01-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Tdi is running it.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
I tried couple days ago, but my boost readings are off. Anyone else has this issue?

The Torque App on the Android is my favorite app of all time. It's used everytime I drive. Data logging engine parameters is also useful for comparison purposes.

I don't find the hp/tq or acceleration info to be nearly as accurate and repeatable as the G Tech devices.

Here's the gauge setup in the cab for viewing operating conditions of the important engine parameters (Boost, EGT's, Engine Torque, Coolant temp, EGR, Throttle).

The normal boost reading doesn't seem to be a direct measurement like I can get from the Bavarian Technic tool. In Torque, you might want to fiddle with the settings (displacement, boost adjustment, volumetric efficiency) to see if that helps. Right now my Torque boost #'s seem to be pretty accurate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
TDI thanks for your response. What setting did you have to change for the boost to be accurate. Also, do you disconnect your OBD2 bluetooth adaptor when you leave the car? I noticed if i leave mine connected the "start/stop" button light never turn off. So I disconnected it. I am still playing with the settings and so far looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
TDI thanks for your response. What setting did you have to change for the boost to be accurate. Also, do you disconnect your OBD2 bluetooth adaptor when you leave the car? I noticed if i leave mine connected the "start/stop" button light never turn off. So I disconnected it. I am still playing with the settings and so far looks awesome.
I leave my OBD dongle plugged in as long as it isn't more than a couple days without driving. Although my start/stop button doesn't react like you're describing. Not sure what to say about that.

In the Vehicle Profile, some things that may impact boost accuracy include:
Engine Displacment of 3 litres, Volumetric Efficienty of 85%, and Boost Adjustment of 0. Try playing with those values. I see "peak" levels of ~28-29 psi (it leaves a little red mark on the dial display where the peak occurred) at full fueling and high rpm's.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
I leave my OBD dongle plugged in as long as it isn't more than a couple days without driving. Although my start/stop button doesn't react like you're describing. Not sure what to say about that.

Engine Displacment of 3 litres, Volumetric Efficienty of 85%, and Boost Adjustment of 0. Try playing with those values. I see "peak" levels of ~28-29 psi (it leaves a little red mark on the dial display where the peak occurred) at full fueling and high rpm's.
Cool, I will play more with it tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:

+1 on the engine displacement, volumetric efficiency and fiddling with the boost adjustment. In my 135, boost max's out at 2.2, I put the boost adjustment to -10 so the boost reads 0 at idle. Still not quite right, I think, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Sub'd to this thread in case someone figures out the exact settings for boost and validates accuracy.

Torque is great for monitoring coolant temps, too.

What mount are you using to hold your phone right there on the dash?
      01-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135gofast View Post
+1 on the engine displacement, volumetric efficiency and fiddling with the boost adjustment. In my 135, boost max's out at 2.2, I put the boost adjustment to -10 so the boost reads 0 at idle. Still not quite right, I think, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Sub'd to this thread in case someone figures out the exact settings for boost and validates accuracy.

Torque is great for monitoring coolant temps, too.

What mount are you using to hold your phone right there on the dash?
The boost has been validated against the BT tool, which reads the MAP sensor directly. Although the BT data is in different units and includes normal atmospheric pressure as well, so you need to subtract that to get what is typicall referred to as "boost".

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=49

The dash mount is this: http://www.mountek.com/

I like it. It's conveniently located so it's easy to plug in the auxiliary jack and route the charger connection. This is nice for long drives where I'm using Torque, streaming Pandora or Slacker, and using GPS nav.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thanks,
after twiddling around with settings, both the boost gauge and the map sensor are about the same now, but both reading pretty high at 17. I don't believe dinan boosts that high.

Ordered a mount from Amazon.
      01-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I didn't adjust the boost at all. mine peaks at around 30psi. I will have to play more. it does stay at 0 during idle.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I didn't adjust the boost at all. mine peaks at around 30psi. I will have to play more. it does stay at 0 during idle.
Stock should max out ~26-27 psi, so that sounds like you're pretty close.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
fongboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
The Torque App on the Android is my favorite app of all time. It's used everytime I drive. Data logging engine parameters is also useful for comparison purposes.

I don't find the hp/tq or acceleration info to be nearly as accurate and repeatable as the G Tech devices.

Here's the gauge setup in the cab for viewing operating conditions of the important engine parameters (Boost, EGT's, Engine Torque, Coolant temp, EGR, Throttle).

The normal boost reading doesn't seem to be a direct measurement like I can get from the Bavarian Technic tool. In Torque, you might want to fiddle with the settings (displacement, boost adjustment, volumetric efficiency) to see if that helps. Right now my Torque boost #'s seem to be pretty accurate.
what's that guage next to your speedometer?
      01-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #15
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongboy View Post
what's that guage next to your speedometer?
http://www.aemelectronics.com/water-...alog-face-1156
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Does the gauge rise to 27psi and stop abruptly, or slow down and gently stop at that point?

The gauge in my car definitely slams into the max and is pegged there for a decent amount of the rev band.

Quote:
Stock should max out ~26-27 psi, so that sounds like you're pretty close.
      01-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135gofast View Post
Does the gauge rise to 27psi and stop abruptly, or slow down and gently stop at that point?

The gauge in my car definitely slams into the max and is pegged there for a decent amount of the rev band.
The sequential twin turbo setup responds wonderfully fast. In a full fueling application the boost snaps to max and hovers there (falling slightly at higher rpn's) for nearly all the effective rpm range. See attached for some data on a 335d with the Evolve remap using the Bavarian Technic tool (data is in mbar and includes normal atmospheric pressure... ~14.5 psi or 1000 mbar or 1 bar).

Try using different levels of thrust with the skinny pedal and watch the Torque boost reading. You should see varying amounts of boost recorded by the Torque app that's proportional to your skinny pedal application. On the car where the data was collected the Torque app agrees very closely to the Bavarian Technic data read from the actual MAP sensor, and correlates well with the water/methanol controller settings that is tied directly into the MAP sensor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ha, I guess I deserve that, for not being thorough enough in my description. Yes, the boost varies according to throttle position. It ramps up extremely fast, and is pegged until with 200 rpms of redline. Here's a chart of my '08 135 (n54) with Dinan Stg 2. i'm just cruising along the highway in 2nd gear (the cluster of low boost dots, and then accelerate with WOT until hitting redline the drop-off visible in the graph is quite noticeable while driving.

If i'm hijacking this thread, let me know, I will start another Torque affinity thread. Like finding an Oil Temp PID, tips, tricks and such.

01-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Nice plot!

I'd love to know some BMW specific PID's for Torque! If you start another thread that's not in the diesel section please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Quote:

How did you manage to get the EGT ? My 335d does not have the option in torque ( doesnt go green)

Did you have to program a custom PID for this ?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #21
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0timbo0o View Post
How did you manage to get the EGT ? My 335d does not have the option in torque ( doesnt go green)

Did you have to program a custom PID for this ?
Interesting. On mine the "Exhaust Gas Temperature 1" has data available without any special custom PID. Not sure what to tell you on that...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
chau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
The boost has been validated against the BT tool, which reads the MAP sensor directly. Although the BT data is in different units and includes normal atmospheric pressure as well, so you need to subtract that to get what is typicall referred to as "boost".

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=49

The dash mount is this: http://www.mountek.com/

I like it. It's conveniently located so it's easy to plug in the auxiliary jack and route the charger connection. This is nice for long drives where I'm using Torque, streaming Pandora or Slacker, and using GPS nav.
Sweet, just purchased the mount and BT dongle. Are you guys running the paid version of Torque or the free?
Appreciate 0