E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Front Xeneo lights Pre-LCI w/ ahl to LCI w/ ahl

09-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
Hobbs64
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Front Xeneo lights Pre-LCI w/ ahl to LCI w/ ahl

No matter how many threads I read this mod is still unclear. Maybe I'm not very bright, but I need help. My family will all tell you that I need help!

I have A 2007 328xi. The build date is 09/2006. It has Xenon ahl lights. I want to go to LCI xenon ahl's. I am unclear on the following.

1. To have fully functional front LCI Xenon ahl lights do I need to switch to FRM3?

2. Are there any wires I need to switch on the light, or light connector themselves before I physically install the lights in the car?

3. I want to run the Mars style rear lights so I don't really want to change my foot-well lighting module if I can help it. Is there a mod I can perform on the headlights that will allow them to function (including the turn signals and headlight rings) as normal with the current foot-well module?

4. Is there a retrofit wiring harness from BMW that I need to purchase to make these work but leave the rear lights stock, so I can run the Mars lights when they get delivered?

My apology to everyone if this is beating a dead horse, but I've read a lot of threads here and in other forums. The more I read the LESS CLEAR the answer became. I am really hoping to get to one definitive answer on this mod, in this thread.

P.S. guys please don't post anything on the halogen to Xenon conversion mods here. This thread is hopefully just for the Pre-LCI Xenon w/ ahl to LCI Xenon w/ ahl conversions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

1. You need a FRM2 or FRM3. Your car has FRM1.

2. From what I've read it's plug and play (coding still required) as long as you had OEM AHL xenons to begin with, and you don't care about the 3 LEDs on the side lighting up at night.

3/4. Rear lights have no effect on what you're doing with or what you need for the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #3
Hobbs64
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

VTEC,

I do have OEM AHL Xenons (pre-lci). The LCI AHL Xenons are also OEM with the exception that I've had them opened and put different halos in the lights. I'm in Denver, does anyone know where to go here for coding? One of these days, I am going to have to learn about coding, as it is the one area in which I have no experience.

The only reason I had mentioned the rearlights is that I wasn't certain if they are controlled by the footwell FRM. If they are, I didn't want to screw up the ability to leave the rears stock. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

All lighting is controlled by the FRM module, but it still doesn't matter. You can run pre-LCI rear lights (or aftermarket) with the FRM2. FRM2 was actually used in 2008 through 2010, so it was intended for both pre-LCI and LCI.

I believe I read that FRM3 has some wiring changes so it may not be compatible with cars that came with FRM1, so I would stick with FRM2 for maximum compatibility.

Last edited by VTECaddict; 09-25-2016 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0