E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E91 face lift with automatic / Perf Exhaust and Intake

06-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
2BIM
Rep
Drives: Z4 and 328 Touring

E91 face lift with automatic / Perf Exhaust and Intake

Anyone out there that has specifically the BMW performance exhaust and intake on a facelift E91 with the N52 engine (328iX)?

What has been your impression especially if you have had it running for a while now?

Beyond the sound and maybe some better throttle response, anything else good or bad you have experienced?

E89 - 2009 Z4 3.0Si Roadster - Crimson Red/Sport Automatic - Euro AntiBlindSpot Mirrors (für die Frau)
E91 - 2011 328i XDrive-Touring - Saphire Black/ZCV/ZPP/ZVP - OEM Performance Exhaust and Intake - OEM Euro AntiBlindSpot Mirrors (meine)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
2BIM
Rep

well, no takers on the question but I just had this done today and what I can say is this.
Sound=10
Throttle response vs original =10
Snap=7
Fun factor=priceless
Now to de-carbon the filter...

E89 - 2009 Z4 3.0Si Roadster - Crimson Red/Sport Automatic - Euro AntiBlindSpot Mirrors (für die Frau)
E91 - 2011 328i XDrive-Touring - Saphire Black/ZCV/ZPP/ZVP - OEM Performance Exhaust and Intake - OEM Euro AntiBlindSpot Mirrors (meine)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Peakrunner
Mile High Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 x5d

I have a 2009 lci 328xi touring. I'm looking into the same setup with the AA tune. What's your impression now that you've been running this setup about a month now? Pics?

Thanks in Advance.
      07-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

if you are looking for more power, the AA tune is going to be your ticket. Adding a 3 stage intake manifold, found on the 06 e90 330 sedan is going to be the best 2 mods out there.

The PE is a great exhaust, the performance intake is so-so (IMHO). but if you spent that 1500 bux on the tune and manifold you would see quite a bit more power than you are now.
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
2BIM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival View Post
if you are looking for more power, the AA tune is going to be your ticket. Adding a 3 stage intake manifold, found on the 06 e90 330 sedan is going to be the best 2 mods out there.

The PE is a great exhaust, the performance intake is so-so (IMHO). but if you spent that 1500 bux on the tune and manifold you would see quite a bit more power than you are now.
You may right regarding the intake but since I have a 2011 car fully under warranty I chose OEM. Will get a bit more oomph once I remove the charcoal filter I hear. Still much better than stock and there is the extra intake point back near the firewall with the Performance intake in addition to the front grill area.

No doubt after market may indeed be quicker but compared to stock, my car is much nicer to drive. Had all Dinan on my E46, that was a blast.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

I have since sold the e91 but I enjoyed the PE while I had it. The wife hated it though. It was a bit loud inside the cabin at certain revs what with the large hatch and no sealed trunk to muffle the sound. I like it because it managed to drown out the omnipresent whine from the rear diff that my car had since new. I still miss that car but I needed a larger family car.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
2BIM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
I have since sold the e91 but I enjoyed the PE while I had it. The wife hated it though. It was a bit loud inside the cabin at certain revs what with the large hatch and no sealed trunk to muffle the sound. I like it because it managed to drown out the omnipresent whine from the rear diff that my car had since new. I still miss that car but I needed a larger family car.
My wife drives our Z4, so she can not complain about exhaust opera. I do not experience the drone and you really only hear it on takeoff. After that it is rather quiet. Road trip next week. Will see how it is on a long highway adventure.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep

My car had the 3-stage intake manifold, AA tune and the performance exhaust. I think it is likely that my car was moving a bit more air than a standard 328. The car probably made in the 265hp/220lb-ft range. Mine was also sort of an oddball car in that it was rear drive with sport pack so the car was sort of stiffly sprung and had a lot of road noise from those 255s out back. It also had the M3 lower control arms, end links and subframe bushings in prep for what was supposed to be a full-on e91 M3 conversion down the road. Reality stepped in and I sold the car before that ever happened but I miss it all the time. Good luck with yours.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i

Quote:
My car had the 3-stage intake manifold, AA tune and the performance exhaust. I think it is likely that my car was moving a bit more air than a standard 328. The car probably made in the 265hp/220lb-ft range. Mine was also sort of an oddball car in that it was rear drive with sport pack so the car was sort of stiffly sprung and had a lot of road noise from those 255s out back. It also had the M3 lower control arms, end links and subframe bushings in prep for what was supposed to be a full-on e91 M3 conversion down the road. Reality stepped in and I sold the car before that ever happened but I miss it all the time. Good luck with yours.
But a wagon has plenty of room for a family
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:44 AM   #10
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazRokz.! View Post
But a wagon has plenty of room for a family
Ever try fitting one of those retarded rear-facing baby seats in an e91 and then actually sitting in the driver's seat? Or going on vacation or a long weekend with all of the baby gear? The car was great but we just outgrew it. I kind of needed something for Home Depot runs and light towing anyways. Hitting up your friends with pickup trucks every few weeks gets real old for them.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i

Quote:
Ever try fitting one of those retarded rear-facing baby seats in an e91 and then actually sitting in the driver's seat? Or going on vacation or a long weekend with all of the baby gear? The car was great but we just outgrew it. I kind of needed something for Home Depot runs and light towing anyways. Hitting up your friends with pickup trucks every few weeks gets real old for them.

You make a very valid point. Im just very attached to my BMW, despite it setting on fire. I actually bought a roof rack storage thing and a recaro child seat cause we thought my wife had a kid on the way last year. The recaro seat actually fits pretty well in the back seat. I cant complement on the roof rack storage thing as I havent installed it yet. Its been collecting dust in my garrage the last couple months. The truck thing is hard to hard to bypass. However, as long as you enjoy your new vehicle, thats all that matters in the end...
Appreciate 0