E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Sandwich, sir?

09-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #67
rovers_andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
Hello all...

Have a quick question for you all. If you bought a sandwich from an out and out sandwich shop which uses buns/rolls (ours are 5" in diameter) would you be 'offended' if they used measuring tools for the fillers?

I ask because I have a dilemma. My busiest sandwich shop has a great customer base - many are regulars and we also attract a healthy number of passer by's and temporary staff from the surrounding industrial estates. All in all - we have a very good name in the area. The problem i face at the moment is down to portion controlling. The reason why we have such a good name is because not only do we provide the freshest food around these parts but also the biggest portions - and it's something, unfortunately, we're well known for. It's easy to do all the cooked meats - but it's the fooking fillings which I need to control.

As we all know, the price of everything is at an all time high (except frying oil) Just this week, Tuna went up by 35%...the 2nd 20+% rise in the past 8 months. We go through the stuff like nothing - along with fresh chicken breast and cheese. The 3 most expensive (and popular) components of any half decent sandwich shop. I've tried so many times to explain to the girls - but they just don't fekin listen. In a way it's a good thing - because they're thinking of the customers (especially the regulars) and what them to be happy and come back...

So, do I start portioning more stringently or stick the prices up? Both are a risk as we could potentially lose customers. Taking in consideration the area it's based in has an above national average rate in unemployment and most people around these parts are on low incomes or contractors.

I know the likes of Subways go by blatantly obvious portion controlling - which is all well and good - but I have a higher Gross margin than them - so they're getting absolutely hammered on their ingredients or the portioning isn't working!
Sounds like the butty shop in South Shields that i lived off when i was there doing my training. Very very popular and would usually be sold out for the day by 1pm. I'm pretty sure they used measures for the fillings and i was never offended by it. I kept coming back because even when they put prices up the food was still excellent quality (cheaper and better than subway) and being able to see the same faces when i walked in (and being recognised and welcomed) rather than seeing some spotty teenager meant i kept coming back.

I don't see a problem with using measuring tools for the fillings, if the product is good enough people wont care
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #68
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Did you put the prices down when times were good and you were getting excellent discount pricing from your suppliers?

ETA: I used to do the accounts for an "upmarket" sandwich place which kept prices the same even when they got great discounts on ingredients (pushing margins up to 60%), but the first time prices started to go up so did their pricing.

I found it shameful really....

Last edited by Mud; 09-27-2011 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0