E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Moving to Germany

09-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #23
335KixAlot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 335 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snohman View Post
lol what i understand from euro delivery...
yes they can force you...the contracts you sign i'm sure state it. Plus it's a US spec car with temporary tourist registration...I'm sure you can have things converted but honestly i'm not sure what is legal there and what isn't in a us spec car (in terms of crash testing, lighting, etc.) not just emissions.

Also, euro delivery will need to be done through a US dealer (which can probably done by sending contracts and such via overnight or what not). Also I think they do "Euro Delivery" for other countries in the EU probably just called Factory delivery in that case (not sure).

also you're right, when i stopped by the bmw dealer in germany, the asking price in euros equated to something like $80,000 USD. Shocked me but from what i understand the US market gets the best pricing on BMWs

But Like long said, you can sell your current car, or swapalease it and have someone take it over.
I'm just curious to know what the import tax/fees will be if I take mine to Germany. If your replacement costs $80k, I doubt I will drop me lease here or sell it to get a replacement in Germany. I think taking it there, driving it for 2 years and selling it before returning to the US, will leave me better off financially.

Do you still have your EU maps DVD?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #24
snohman
Volk Whore
Rep
Drives: nothing

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335KixAlot View Post
I'm just curious to know what the import tax/fees will be if I take mine to Germany. If your replacement costs $80k, I doubt I will drop me lease here or sell it to get a replacement in Germany. I think taking it there, driving it for 2 years and selling it before returning to the US, will leave me better off financially.

Do you still have your EU maps DVD?
I had borrowed an EU maps dvd to go on my european delivery trip, and I burned a copy of the image....the only problem is I don't know which computer i saved it to and 2 of my computers are still in boxes from when i moved. If it turns up i'll let you know.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #25
335KixAlot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had borrowed an EU maps dvd to go on my european delivery trip, and I burned a copy of the image....the only problem is I don't know which computer i saved it to and 2 of my computers are still in boxes from when i moved. If it turns up i'll let you know.
Fantastic! thanks for the details...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #26
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I don't know about Germany but in England the import duty is 6% plus VAT (15% or 17.5% on the value of the car as set by DVLA. So, it's either 21% or 23.5%. Then you have the Single Vehicle Acceptance inspection with all of the mandated conversions. If your company is moving you to Germany then they should be picking up the tab for conversion. The tax issue should be negotiated with the company.

An option is to sell the current one and lease one on this side for the duration of your stay. Then, at the end of your stay order a new one with ED, pick it up 30 days before departure, drive about, and ship it home. Shipping should take two to three weeks to the east coast.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #27
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Fantastic! thanks for the details...
BMW Euro Map ISO with all the speed cams hacked into it. Follow the instructions and you would have saved a lot of money.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4548...ean_Speed_Cams

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #28
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Hello all

I have a 2008 335i and I plan on moving to Germany in a few months. I have some questions

1. Will my NAV work in Germany if I got a DVD with the European maps?
2. Is the US warranty valid in Germany?
3. Any local emissions that I need to know about?
4. Any other tips?
1. Yes, I still have my Euro Nav DVD just in case I ever go back over there.

2. Depends. BMW european warranty is good for 2 years from date of purchase whereas in the U.S. it's good for 4 years. If you take the car there, it'll be good until sometime next year as long as you turn the necessary paperwork into one of the BMW dealerships so you can be covered under euro warranty.

3. If the car is stock, then no worries. Since you're not military or working for the U.S. government, any mods you do to the car need to be approved. If not, you'll get fined big time.

4. Take your car with you. As I said above, unless you're military or working for the U.S. government, you don't get the benefits we do. The same car that I purchased in Germany for $42k costs the Germans 60k euros and i'm not sure if that price even included the VAT(19%).
      09-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #29
stubenhocker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 2016 F30 328d

If you stay there more than a year you will have to get German driving license, and that aint easy like it is here in the states! Some American states, Montana I know for sure has reciprocity with Germany so it is just a trade of docs NO TESTING REQUIRED, but Calif doesn't have an agreement with Germany! So get a different US state license before you leave or get prepared for the training from hell!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #30
JacksonHandy
Clearing the Way
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

ArmyBimmerDude gave you the best advice.

As an American living abroad, you'll have to pay all the German taxes and will have to have a german license to register the car in Germany. You're really better off getting here and leasing.

I just finished an Army class that tells you what happens when you lose the "logistical support" given to you by the NATO SOFA. It isn't pretty and it gets expensive quick.

SCTW!

Mods? Maybe, Maybe not.....
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #31
interpol
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: passively aggressive.
Location: probably in a hotel thousands of miles away from home.

Quote:
Hello all

I have a 2008 335i and I plan on moving to Germany in a few months. I have some questions

1. Will my NAV work in Germany if I got a DVD with the European maps?
2. Is the US warranty valid in Germany?
3. Any local emissions that I need to know about?
4. Any other tips?
There is a lot of bad information posted in this thread; do not follow it.

I did an ED from April to October 2008, kept my car in the US from Oct/Nov 2008 to May 2009 (6 month minimum), and exported my car tax/VAT/duty free to Poland. A shipping company took care of the paperwork and the car cleared customs in less than one day.

I don't know if you have to be a EU citizen to import a used car tax free, but a local shipping company that specializes in auto exports should know. I needed proof that the car was registered in my name for at least six months and that I was present in the US for at least one consecutive year prior to the export. You can use credit card statements, electric bills, etc. as proof that you were in the country for 12 months.

You will need to enable rear fogs and perform the following mod to disable the orange corner running lights in order to pass a technical examination in the EU:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...mber+e92+light

If you have xenons, you are required to have the headlamp washers as well, but they didn't check on my car and I've read that people received TUV exemptions for not having them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
sell your car and buy one in germany.
Like others have mentioned, cars are much more expensive in Germany and most BMWs driving around in Europe are usually equipped with a fraction of the options that similar models in the US have. When you're paying $60k for a bare bones e90 335i and there are no comparable Sport and Premium packages to choose from, some may find it difficult to spend an additional $2,600 for the Dakota leather, $1,800 for the upgrade to 18" wheels, or $1,700 for Logic 7? DTC for the e92? Not a problem; just a $3,500 option.

Quote:
My understanding is that Euro delivery requires you to ship the car to the US within 90 days or delivery in Munich?
Incorrect. Five months.

Quote:
Also, is it expensive to get the care registered? How long did they allow you to use your US drivers licence?
Get an International Drivers Permit from your local AAA. It is valid for one year from the issue date and costs $15.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #32
interpol
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonHandy View Post
You're really better off getting here and leasing.
Enjoy your 318i with no options!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #33
ParisSF
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpol View Post

I did an ED from April to October 2008, kept my car in the US from Oct/Nov 2008 to May 2009 (6 month minimum), and exported my car tax/VAT/duty free to Poland.

Was it cheaper to have the car go over the Atlantic twice as compared to leaving the car in Europe in Oct 2008 and just pay the cheapest VAT of the European Union?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #34
bimmernupe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
Quote:

I did an ED from April to October 2008, kept my car in the US from Oct/Nov 2008 to May 2009 (6 month minimum), and exported my car tax/VAT/duty free to Poland. A shipping company took care of the paperwork and the car cleared customs in less than one day.

I don't know if you have to be a EU citizen to import a used car tax free, but a local shipping company that specializes in auto exports should know. I needed proof that the car was registered in my name for at least six months and that I was present in the US for at least one consecutive year prior to the export. You can use credit card statements, electric bills, etc. as proof that you were in the country for 12 months.

You will need to enable rear fogs and perform the following mod to disable the orange corner running lights in order to pass a technical examination in the EU:

If you have xenons, you are required to have the headlamp washers as well, but they didn't check on my car and I've read that people received TUV exemptions for not having them.

Like others have mentioned, cars are much more expensive in Germany and most BMWs driving around in Europe are usually equipped with a fraction of the options that similar models in the US have. When you're paying $60k for a bare bones e90 335i and there are no comparable Sport and Premium packages to choose from, some may find it difficult to spend an additional $2,600 for the Dakota leather, $1,800 for the upgrade to 18" wheels, or $1,700 for Logic 7? DTC for the e92? Not a problem; just a $3,500 option.

Incorrect. Five months.

Get an International Drivers Permit from your local AAA. It is valid for one year from the issue date and costs $15.

Here is DIY for enabling the rear fogs: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26545 . It took me 10 mins and cost less than $60. Try Tischer gettbmwparts.com
      09-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #35
interpol
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSF View Post
Was it cheaper to have the car go over the Atlantic twice as compared to leaving the car in Europe in Oct 2008 and just pay the cheapest VAT of the European Union?
Yes; I estimate that I saved around $35,000.

The first trip across the Atlantic from Europe to the US is included in the Destination Charge, which is the same for ED and non-ED cars. I paid the shipping company approximately $2,000 for my car to transported from Chicago to Warsaw and deal with the customs paperwork.

The MSRP of a well-equipped e92 335i costs around 60,000 EUR.

The asking prices for used 335i's are more than MSRP in the US:

55,000 USD for 2007 335i e92, 25,000 miles
64,000 USD for 2008 335xi e92 14,000 miles
low 70's for used 2009s.

http://www.autos.de/sucherg_det.php?...&Submit=Suchen
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 01:45 AM   #36
JacksonHandy
Clearing the Way
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Nevermind.

Google it dude. Plenty of information.

SCTW!

Mods? Maybe, Maybe not.....
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #37
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

Are you coming over as .mil or as a civilian? Civilian, good luck, .mil, welcome. I am .mil and I bought my BMW in Germany, sent it to the states, then moved it back here.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #38
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
2. Is the US warranty valid in Germany? no
3. Any local emissions that I need to know about? not really, CA and NY have the strictest emission.
4. Any other tips? sell your car and buy one in germany.
Although only for 2 years, the US warranty is valid in Europe. Recently however, BMW has been denying warranty work on US spec cars that have been imported to Germany. A fully loaded 335i costs twice as much in Germany compared to the US. It is a trade off between saving money vs. having a lot of troubles with BMW regarding warranty work. Would I do it again? No. (Which is what BMW wants to achieve, so that they can keep up price discrimination amongst the different markets.) Another thing BMW has achieved by causing that much trouble with warranty issues, is losing a customer. Altough they are great cars, this will be our last generation of BMWs in the family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David9962000 View Post
It took 5 weeks by container+ sales tax and import tax. I had to turn off all corner led when my headlights were on.
I received German registration without any modifications done to the car. There are different paths you can go towards getting German registration...

Regarding navigation, you can use the Euro map DVDs for Europe. But be prepared to have TMC deactivated if you ever get a software update at a german dealership.
      09-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #39
335KixAlot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol what i understand from euro delivery...
yes they can force you...the contracts you sign i'm sure state it. Plus it's a US spec car with temporary tourist registration...I'm sure you can have things converted but honestly i'm not sure what is legal there and what isn't in a us spec car (in terms of crash testing, lighting, etc.) not just emissions.

Also, euro delivery will need to be done through a US dealer (which can probably done by sending contracts and such via overnight or what not). Also I think they do "Euro Delivery" for other countries in the EU probably just called Factory delivery in that case (not sure).

also you're right, when i stopped by the bmw dealer in germany, the asking price in euros equated to something like $80,000 USD. Shocked me but from what i understand the US market gets the best pricing on BMWs

But Like long said, you can sell your current car, or swapalease it and have someone take it over.
You seriously have a Hello-kitty paint on your 335? How did you manage that? Also, how was your overall experience to collect the car in Munich? I once wanted to do the same but it didnt work out, mostly because of work schedules.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #40
335KixAlot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
I don't know about Germany but in England the import duty is 6% plus VAT (15% or 17.5% on the value of the car as set by DVLA. So, it's either 21% or 23.5%. Then you have the Single Vehicle Acceptance inspection with all of the mandated conversions. If your company is moving you to Germany then they should be picking up the tab for conversion. The tax issue should be negotiated with the company.

An option is to sell the current one and lease one on this side for the duration of your stay. Then, at the end of your stay order a new one with ED, pick it up 30 days before departure, drive about, and ship it home. Shipping should take two to three weeks to the east coast.
Thanks for the details! How much if I may ask, the forced conversions can cost upto?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #41
335KixAlot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey thanks for checking - Let me know if you find the DVD!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #42
335KixAlot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
1. Yes, I still have my Euro Nav DVD just in case I ever go back over there.

2. Depends. BMW european warranty is good for 2 years from date of purchase whereas in the U.S. it's good for 4 years. If you take the car there, it'll be good until sometime next year as long as you turn the necessary paperwork into one of the BMW dealerships so you can be covered under euro warranty.

3. If the car is stock, then no worries. Since you're not military or working for the U.S. government, any mods you do to the car need to be approved. If not, you'll get fined big time.

4. Take your car with you. As I said above, unless you're military or working for the U.S. government, you don't get the benefits we do. The same car that I purchased in Germany for $42k costs the Germans 60k euros and i'm not sure if that price even included the VAT(19%).
Yes, the more I read, the more convinced I am that taking my 335 is a better option than selling it here and then getting one over there. My car has 17,000 miles and is 100% stock. I havent had anytime to play around much with it.

Thanks again, for all the details you shared.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #43
335KixAlot
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Incorrect. Five months.

Thanks a ton for sharing all these details. Yes, shipping mine over to Germany seems to be a much better option for the reasons you have detailed. In my past travels to Europe, I rarely see a 335 on their roads. They are mostly 318s and 328s or Diesels.

Can you explain "enable rear fogs"? Does it mean, installing them or making a change to the existing lights in the back?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #44
335KixAlot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernupe View Post
Here is DIY for enabling the rear fogs: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26545 . It took me 10 mins and cost less than $60. Try Tischer gettbmwparts.com
Just read the bottom of the thread - Great info on rear fogs!

Thanks
Appreciate 0