E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Official New England Chat Forum

Closed Thread

12-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #903
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Def gonna be another "opposing team hasn't been beat this bad since the 80's" night.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #904
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Car is in for service this morning at BMW Peabody. Shouldn't need anything major, just a 30k mile checkup. I have a nice Montego E92 328i xDrive to cruise in for the day. 2011 with about 4k miles, ZPP/ZCW/iDrive/Step. It's cool to drive a coupe for a change.

Loving the car, but man does the new standard radio suck. I didn't think L7/HK was a required option when I bought my car (the 10 speaker system is decent), but this 6 speaker one is terrible. Guess my next one will need HK..

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #905
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
What a game for the Pats!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #906
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Nothing like the first snow of the season, already a couple of inches here.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #907
cyphr
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe

xdrive

....even if it adds the weight of two buffet queens
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #908
cyphr
Major
Rep

p.s. planet fitness is a joke.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #909
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphr View Post
p.s. planet fitness is a joke.
I love PF!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #910
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
First Snowfall

Last edited by TL; 12-22-2010 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #911
cyphr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
I love PF!
As I'm sure many others do- it's cheap, and it's got a wide array of cardio machines. However, their lack of dumbbells over 60lbs (some facilities go up to a whopping 80lbs) combined with their lack of a squat rack and ban on deadlifting rule out some of the best exercises for your body, no matter what your goals are. Dumbbells are far superior in terms of utilizing multiple primary and supporting muscle groups when compared to machine work which tend to isolate primary muscle groups in single planes of motion. Each has its place, but the cap at 60lbs is quite frankly absurd for a place that calls itself a "fitness center". Instead, they have a Smith machine which is easily the most dangerous machine to use since it forces your body to move out of plane from its anatomical movement. Hello RC and back injuries.

That aside, their "lunk alarm" is an egregious proposition to combating noise, grunting, etc. I don't throw weights, and I don't sound like a wildebeast in heat on my last rep- I'm all for reducing noise at the gym. What I don't agree with is the type of public humiliation that occurs when someone triggers the alarm. It's over-the-top and unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL View Post
Woooo!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #912
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Quote:
As I'm sure many others do- it's cheap, and it's got a wide array of cardio machines. However, their lack of dumbbells over 60lbs (some facilities go up to a whopping 80lbs) combined with their lack of a squat rack and ban on deadlifting rule out some of the best exercises for your body, no matter what your goals are. Dumbbells are far superior in terms of utilizing multiple primary and supporting muscle groups when compared to machine work which tend to isolate primary muscle groups in single planes of motion. Each has its place, but the cap at 60lbs is quite frankly absurd for a place that calls itself a "fitness center". Instead, they have a Smith machine which is easily the most dangerous machine to use since it forces your body to move out of plane from its anatomical movement. Hello RC and back injuries.

That aside, their "lunk alarm" is an egregious proposition to combating noise, grunting, etc. I don't throw weights, and I don't sound like a wildebeast in heat on my last rep- I'm all for reducing noise at the gym. What I don't agree with is the type of public humiliation that occurs when someone triggers the alarm. It's over-the-top and unnecessary.
True, but I'm also put off by places like Gold's where weight throwing, grunting and often times yelling while lifting is the norm. Not a comfortable place to work out if you're a normal guy like me just trying to stay in shape. I do agree that, in many cases (I go to multiple PF locations), they could expand their free weight availability. The one I go to in Milford actually has one of the better free weight areas I've seen in a PF.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #913
cyphr
Major
Rep

Quote:
True, but I'm also put off by places like Gold's where weight throwing, grunting and often times yelling while lifting is the norm. Not a comfortable place to work out if you're a normal guy like me just trying to stay in shape. I do agree that, in many cases (I go to multiple PF locations), they could expand their free weight availability. The one I go to in Milford actually has one of the better free weight areas I've seen in a PF.
Yeah, Gold's is really something else. I remember some guy who smacked himself across the face a couple times to "pump up" before a set- I wanted to walk over and give him a couple smacks myself.

There has to be a happy medium between this kind of behavior and triggering an alarm that can be heard throughout the entire facility for a violation of the code of conduct. PF tends to take their "judgement free zone" a bit extreme at times. Grunting is one thing, while flat out yelling is another.

Last edited by cyphr; 12-21-2010 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #914
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
I never thought the lunk alarm even worked lol! I always thought it was there for show
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #915
cyphr
Major
Rep

Quote:
I never thought the lunk alarm even worked lol! I always thought it was there for show

It's been going off every time I'm there lol. I don't really notice the alarm since I have my headphones in but the flashing strobe is pretty annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #916
BMWjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

This alarm sounds ridiculous! As well as no dead lifting, that seems insane. But how do you guys do any kind of dumbbell press if they only go up to 60lbs?

But the happy medium between Golds Gym and Planet Fitness is Boston Sports Clubs (BSC). I personally preferred Golds (I went at a time of day when there were limited juice heads) but switched to BSC because its closer to my house and find its a different environment.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #917
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Quote:
It's been going off every time I'm there lol. I don't really notice the alarm since I have my headphones in but the flashing strobe is pretty annoying.
Maybe it's you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWjames View Post
This alarm sounds ridiculous! As well as no dead lifting, that seems insane. But how do you guys do any kind of dumbbell press if they only go up to 60lbs?

But the happy medium between Golds Gym and Planet Fitness is Boston Sports Clubs (BSC). I personally preferred Golds (I went at a time of day when there were limited juice heads) but switched to BSC because its closer to my house and find its a different environment.
BSC is insanely expensive though, no? PF is $19 a month, pretty hard to beat
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #918
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

I have Latitude and PF Black memberships. The PF is right next to my office, so I use that when crunched for time and can't make it to the nice gym. PF is a bit of a joke for serious gym rats, but it's fine for those looking for basic equipment and a clean gym. They hit the alarm constantly at the one I go to, and it is seriously annoying. Today, some guy was essentially kicked out because he was wearing a bandanna. Guess that's against their rules...???

Latitude in Peabody is beautiful, brand new, and just a great place to work out. It's got towel service and juice bar, and everything is spread out. The main cardio section has it's own set of weight training equipment (essentially everything PF has), and the real lifting area is in a completely different part of the gym. So the serious dudes can be down there, and the more casual members can use the equipment near the cardio. Smart layout, and the place is so massive that it always feels empty even during peak hours. It's $75ish/mo, but whatever.

I still think you should join there Rob.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #919
cyphr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWjames View Post
Simple, join another gym. Or press a friend.

Quote:
Maybe it's you!

BSC is insanely expensive though, no? PF is $19 a month, pretty hard to beat
You might be on to something here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I have Latitude and PF Black memberships. The PF is right next to my office, so I use that when crunched for time and can't make it to the nice gym. PF is a bit of a joke for serious gym rats, but it's fine for those looking for basic equipment and a clean gym. They hit the alarm constantly at the one I go to, and it is seriously annoying. Today, some guy was essentially kicked out because he was wearing a bandanna. Guess that's against their rules...???

Latitude in Peabody is beautiful, brand new, and just a great place to work out. It's got towel service and juice bar, and everything is spread out. The main cardio section has it's own set of weight training equipment (essentially everything PF has), and the real lifting area is in a completely different part of the gym. So the serious dudes can be down there, and the more casual members can use the equipment near the cardio. Smart layout, and the place is so massive that it always feels empty even during peak hours. It's $75ish/mo, but whatever.

I still think you should join there Rob.
Not only are bandannas against their code of conduct, but so are do-rags. How about a racial tinge to further deter newcomers? Of course you won't hear this when you're joining, or even after you join. But once you violate one of their ridiculous rules they bring down the hammer. Two strikes, permanent ban. A new rule I found out today: you can't drink out of gallon water jugs because it's a "bodybuilder" thing to do and ohmigosh it might bother the other patrons. Come on.

Latitude was amazing. The tour I took when I was waiting for you was great, and the chick giving me the tour was such a cutie. But at 5x the price of PF, I'll sit through their outlandish rules, obnoxious sirens, social humiliation, and lack of equipment. But, that rock wall! Oh man, that would be great to use.

BSC is another nice facility. I used to be a member at BSC-Waltham/Healthpoint when I was a student (hooray for student discounts and stacking free trial memberships, ahem.) It's clean, well-equipped, and the staff is friendly. A ton of amenities and no BS. If I was still training I wouldn't look any further.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #920
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Lots of cuties at Latitude, they're even strategically placed around the building. If you ever get sick of PF and want to test out Latitude again, I have lots of 3 or 7 day passes floating around.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #921
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Yeah, Gold's is really something else. I remember some guy who smacked himself across the face a couple times to "pump up" before a set- I wanted to walk over and give him a couple smacks myself.

There has to be a happy medium between this kind of behavior and triggering an alarm that can be heard throughout the entire facility for a violation of the code of conduct. PF tends to take their "judgement free zone" a bit extreme at times. Grunting is one thing, while flat out yelling is another.
funny video

Quote:
Lots of cuties at Latitude, they're even strategically placed around the building. If you ever get sick of PF and want to test out Latitude again, I have lots of 3 or 7 day passes floating around.
did you say cuties.....hook me up

i'm currently going to the BU gym and it's pretty cool. It's got a indoor pool, rock wall, indoor track, several basketball courts, several racketball courts, several badminton courts, and lots of female undergrads
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #922
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just in from a casual drive in the blizzard. Roads are bad, but xDrive is oh so good. That and 50/50 weight distribution. Car is excellent in the snow.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #923
BMWjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I'm in Louisiana and missing the entire blizzard! I'm a little disappointed that I can't go out and play in the snow with the car...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #924
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Just in from a casual drive in the blizzard. Roads are bad, but xDrive is oh so good. That and 50/50 weight distribution. Car is excellent in the snow.
AWD FTW
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread