E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Clicking and Creaking but only when hot temps

04-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
UKBasketball
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 328xi

Clicking and Creaking but only when hot temps

09 E92 328i xDrive with Hankook V12s

PROBLEM:
My front driver's side suspension is making a terrible noise. This is a pain in the a$$ to diagnose because it only does it in the afternoons on my way home. I have taken it to my mechanic twice, but they cannot re-create the noise enough to diagnose it. They had it all day, no noises or barely any at all, then I drive home and go back out later in the evening and it is so loud it sounds like it could break

It only happens after I've been driving in 60+ degree temps. For some reason it will not occur in the morning or during the day, only in the late afternoons.

Very annoying, and sounds terrible/scary

SYMPTOMS

VERY LOUD and noticeable popping, clicking, creaking sound under body forces from either take off, or under breaking. Pretty much when the body moves under force to stop or from a stop. I can press and depress the brakes to make the noise apparent at a red light. It also occurs when going over small cracks in the road or when turning the wheel at low speeds (i.e. parking).

When my car was up on the lift we inspected all the joints and bushings, none of which showed signs of failing.

I've read things like, ball joint bad, lower control arm/bushing, or even steering rack...

The car drives great. No vibration from steering wheel. No alignment issues.

Any advice on how to diagnose this further? How to rule out some of the items mentioned above?

Thanks,
Alex

E60 550i - BSM/Auburn Red
E92 328i xDrive - SG/Black & Saddle Brown
Appreciate 0