E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Installing the Factory E90 Alarm

11-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #243
MOTO69JOE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E90

Just FYI BMW is only allowed to charge 1.5 hours of labor even if the reprogram takes 6-8 to accomplish.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #244
Rhooki
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2008 Sparkling Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTO69JOE View Post
Just FYI BMW is only allowed to charge 1.5 hours of labor even if the reprogram takes 6-8 to accomplish.
Really MOTO69JOE, where did you hear this? I want something to put right in front to the dealer's face if they started charging me for more than 1.5 hours of labor just for alarm activation.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #245
MOTO69JOE
Captain
United_States
Rep

manager told me up front when i asked him if he was going to charge me 6+ hours to do this. He said BMW up front has certain guidelines on amount of labor that is allowed to be charged for certain things.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #246
Rhooki
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTO69JOE View Post
manager told me up front when i asked him if he was going to charge me 6+ hours to do this. He said BMW up front has certain guidelines on amount of labor that is allowed to be charged for certain things.
Thanks. If they do charge me for more than 1.5 hours of just re-programming labor then I'll call BMWNA and if they concur I'll file a formal complaint against my dealer.

Vrooooooooom! Vrooooooom!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 09:36 AM   #247
Rhooki
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So, the dealer just did the re-programming of the car and it does work great!

I love the chirp when locking and unlocking the car.

Bad thing was that the dealer (stealer) charged me for the full 1.5 hours of labor for the programming - $100 plus tax! Oh well, they still want to make money for a simple task of re-programming the car that probably took < 30 mins.

Overall, I love this DIY post. I learned a bit more about the car while working on the alarm installation.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #248
MOTO69JOE
Captain
United_States
Rep

hey, you got off easy i paid close to 180 plus 60 for a rental (paid in euros)
i love my alarm and the chirp.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 02:13 AM   #249
Sakaike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
There is no ultrasonic detector on the retrofit. The sensors, normally in the doors, are absent.
Can someone please expand on the install and resulting functionality on an e93? I'm interested in this for myself, once my car arrives in a couple of weeks.

If there's no ultrasonic, then is the part number different?

Without ultrasonic, I know it's a personal decision, but now the price/value equation becomes tougher. You get a hood sensor, chirping, and what else?

TIA.
      11-24-2007, 02:30 AM   #250
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Has anyone installed this on a 335i coupe? I heard the headliner has to be removed. I also heard from someone else you don't have to remove it but you have to finish out the line near which is tapped to the back.

How does the alarm work with confort access? I guess you'll have to use the remove - too bad since I got confort access so I don't have to reach for the fob.

Gary
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #251
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Has anyone installed this on a 335i coupe? I heard the headliner has to be removed. I also heard from someone else you don't have to remove it but you have to finish out the line near which is tapped to the back.

Gary
The headliner does not need to be touched. All the steps are exactly as described in the original write-up.

I would just add that it makes sense to use threadlocker on the nuts securing the bracket to the wheel well. See attached pic, red stuff on the nuts. It ensures that the nuts will stay in place forever. It also protects them from rust. Otherwise vibration, temperature changes and humidity may cause them to loosen over time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #252
cas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaike View Post
Can someone please expand on the install and resulting functionality on an e93? I'm interested in this for myself, once my car arrives in a couple of weeks.

Without ultrasonic, I know it's a personal decision, but now the price/value equation becomes tougher. You get a hood sensor, chirping, and what else?

TIA.

im installing the alarm on the e93 now and so far its exactly as described though the hood plug was in plain sight. tischer sells the needed parts which are a switch, switch holder, siren, siren bracket, car bracket. there is no ultrasonic sensor just a tilt sensor within the siren I read.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #253
cas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CV

is it really necessary to remove the wheel to remove the rear felt? debating if I should wait for my jack adapter
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #254
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post

How does the alarm work with confort access? I guess you'll have to use the remove - too bad since I got confort access so I don't have to reach for the fob.

Gary
The headliner does not have to be removed, the ultrasonic sensor's home is in the upper rear plastic console- if you don't have the one with slats for the sensor to work I believe their is a TSB out where they should replace it under warranty:

I have a write-up with pics on my 335i page for anyone that's interested....

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #255
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I was just looking at the horn unit. The one I got is different than the one in the pic.
How did you guys mount the horn onto the plastic bracket? With the wire plug on top, or to the side. It doesn't seem to attach securely with it mounted on top.
It seems to fit the best with the wire plut to the left when looking at the back of the alarm on the bracket with the flat side down.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #256
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Need help. I search this whole thread and also the Part # thread and I found nothing. I got the alarm for my e90 4 doors. The part # is 65120403658. But the very first thread here list a different part number for the e90. So do I have the incorrect alarm for e90?
      12-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #257
Rhooki
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
Need help. I search this whole thread and also the Part # thread and I found nothing. I got the alarm for my e90 4 doors. The part # is 65120403658. But the very first thread here list a different part number for the e90. So do I have the incorrect alarm for e90?
I have a 328 - 4 door sedan (E90) and installed it myself last month. The Part number on the Invoice from Tischer BMW of the alarm kit is 65-12-0-403-658 which is the same part number as yours.

Had it activated by my dealer for $100 and everything works great!

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 12:01 AM   #258
freedisk00
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Hey All-

So I have installed the following on my 2008 335i sedan.
1. OEM Alarm
-all three parts, hood switch, interior motion sensor, alarm in rear left tire
2. Sirius Install
-I installed the module
-The Fiber Wiring was not correct for my BMW.
- Basically the second module (Part 2) has all of the fiber connections connected, so I can't un-plug a cable from (part 1) into part 2.

Questions:
1. Does this mean my sirius is installed? Since all of my cables are plugged into part 2?
2. After I installed my oem-alarm, I haven't activated it yet. However, when I lock my car with my FOB, the arlam light blinks. What I don't understand is the P-Led orange light on my transmission knob stays lit. Does anyone else have this issue?

Please advise.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 07:22 AM   #259
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhooki View Post
I have a 328 - 4 door sedan (E90) and installed it myself last month. The Part number on the Invoice from Tischer BMW of the alarm kit is 65-12-0-403-658 which is the same part number as yours.

Had it activated by my dealer for $100 and everything works great!

Kool, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedisk00 View Post
Hey All-

So I have installed the following on my 2008 335i sedan.
1. OEM Alarm
-all three parts, hood switch, interior motion sensor, alarm in rear left tire
2. Sirius Install
-I installed the module
-The Fiber Wiring was not correct for my BMW.
- Basically the second module (Part 2) has all of the fiber connections connected, so I can't un-plug a cable from (part 1) into part 2.

Questions:
1. Does this mean my sirius is installed? Since all of my cables are plugged into part 2?
2. After I installed my oem-alarm, I haven't activated it yet. However, when I lock my car with my FOB, the arlam light blinks. What I don't understand is the P-Led orange light on my transmission knob stays lit. Does anyone else have this issue?

Please advise.

thanks
I don't have automatic, but I don't think that P-led light should be on after you shutdown the engine and locked the car. Double check all your installation. Maybe someone with auto and alarm will chime in...
      12-13-2007, 05:51 AM   #260
jli801
Nice and Slow...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07335

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedisk00 View Post
Hey All-

Please advise.

thanks
i dont have the alarm installed yet... but the P light is lit even after your car is turned off... and so is the Start engine light... the P light turns off after a few minutes after your car is locked i believe... remember i read it in the manual or somewhere...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #261
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jli801 View Post
i dont have the alarm installed yet... but the P light is lit even after your car is turned off... and so is the Start engine light... the P light turns off after a few minutes after your car is locked i believe... remember i read it in the manual or somewhere...
My understanding is that he said he locked the car with the keyfob and the p-light is still lid up after the car is locked with the keyfob. If that is still true, then something is not correct.

I just installed my alarm, thanks to this thread

What I cannot believe is that I paid $230 for a blinking light , still need to get it activated.

Damn, I have my priorities all screwed up...
      12-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #262
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaike View Post

TIA.
E93's alarm uses microwave sensors instead of ultrasonic. Those can not be retrofitted, so if you do it afterwards, it will be w/o the motion sensor part (unless they pre-install them at the factory).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 09:13 PM   #263
Sakaike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E93 328i

E93 Alarm Install Experience

This is a partial write-up, since I still have to get to the dealer to have the alarm activated. I ordered the unit from Tischer for $130 shipped, no tax - there is no ultrasonic unit for the E93, thus the cheaper price.

I installed it today with no problems. I did not remove the tire, nor jack up the car, and I can't believe that some of you can get your hands up there. I'm a small Japanese guy, and I could barely do it. And when I did, it extended my install time to more than an hour.

Hood switch installation was no problem, as others have noted.

When I picked up the car from the dealer last week, I was quoted $600 for a non-OEM alarm installed, and $800 for the OEM alarm installed. After I have the dealer activate my install for $128, I will be out the door for about $260 - a savings of about $540!!

I'm assuming that the activation will go fine. Assuming it does, there is no reason for anyone to pay dealer prices for this alarm. The parts are cheap (even for the E90/E91/E92 parts), and the installation is a breeze. I had a harder time replacing my DRLs with GP Thunders.

I'll post again once the alarm has been activated, but thought I would let E93 owners know that they should definitely do this, if they are interested in it.
      12-17-2007, 08:02 AM   #264
txusa03
Major General
Rep

I understand what you mean about not removing the tire. If you install the horn and did not jack up the car or remove the tire, hats off to you. I don't see how anyone could do that without damaging the wheel lining material.

I had to jack up my car, that causes the wheel to sag down and give me just enough space to remove the wheel lining material.

I will not get it activated because I called 2 dealers ($120 and $109) to activated it. I said no. So I paid $230 for a blinking lights