E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery exploded in my trunk; Please read so this doesn't happen to your E9X.

12-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #221
Suckr4Straight6s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 330i 6MT TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH View Post
+1. Sometimes keeping things simple can really save costs in the long run. Complexity does not always mean better or more efficient. For example, I don't know about the brakes in the BMW as I haven't had a chance to replace them and they are still covered under the maintenance. But my brother's Audi A6, he had to take it to a shop because pushing back the caliper was a big pain the ass. My Porsche Boxster, it took me 5 minutes to change the pads per axle. Yes, 5 freaking minutes because the design is simple and flawless. I could pry back the twin caliper with a screw driver and remove the pads by simply pushing out a pin. For you arrogant people out there who say that if you don't like it then don't buy a BMW, you are missing the point. I have had 3 BMWs already because I like the way they drive. It's a good driving machine that can be better if BMW would start to think and listen to its customers. Learn a thing or two from the Japanese with their electronics.
Not a day goes by where i don't miss my old '99 Dinan M3! If theres one thing i've learned from this its that newer doesn't always mean better.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #222
AlexH
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I don't think you get it. Europe is obsessed with emissions and CO2 levels. Anything and everything that can tweak those figures, HAS to be examined and tried.

I'll repeat it, Europe is obsessed with emission and CO2 levels. Now whether it is sensible in the big scheme of things, or not, is another debate, but car makers in Europe are the whipping boys. Targets, penalties, fines... drive the makers harder and faster than is probably decent, certainly not an easy path.

Look at the whole debate from that perspective... "we ain't going back to the older methods, in the foreseeable future".

HighlandPete
Sure they are obsessed alright. Here, read it for yourself about their obsession: European UnionMain article:

European emission standards
The European Union has its own set of emissions standards that all new vehicles must meet. Currently, standards are set for all road vehicles, trains, barges and 'nonroad mobile machinery' (such as tractors). No standards apply to seagoing ships or airplanes. The emissions standards change based on the test cycle used: ECE R49 (old) and ESC (European Steady Cycle, since 2000).

Currently there are no standards for CO2 emissions. The European Parliament has suggested introducing mandatory CO2 emission standards[2] to replace current voluntary commitments by the auto manufacturers (see ACEA agreement) and labeling. In late 2005, the European Commission started working on a proposal for a new law to limit CO2 emissions from cars.[3] The European Commission has received support of the European Parliament for its proposal to promote a broad market introduction of clean and energy efficient vehicles through public procurement.[4]

The EU is to introduce Euro 4 effective January 1, 2008, Euro 5 effective January 1, 2010 and Euro 6 effective January 1, 2014. These dates have been postponed for two years to give oil refineries the opportunity to modernize their plants.

The only state state (a size and economic powerhouse of a country) that is obsessed with air and pollution regulation is California my friend. We set the standard that the other states and countries follow.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #223
Single-t
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Alpine White 335i, E90

Thanks for posting! I unfortunately had to replace my battery 3 days after I bought my used 07 335i. As someone coming from American muscle cars, you can imagine my shock when they told me it would be $356. But now I'm glad I had dealershp do it. Although I was pissed when I saw it was an Interstate battery that I could purchase myself and that they only warranty it for 2 years!

To those of you who just want to post negative comments, find another forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #224
mc68386
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6MT

Non-OEM worked for me

I didn't read through this whole thread, but I wanted to say that when the battery died in my '06 330, I put in the recommended model from Checker Auto Parts (not the OEM part). I never performed any "registration" process. That was 2 years ago. I've never had any battery problems since, and at this point, the replacement battery has lasted almost al long as the original.
However, when I originally installed the battery, I had to trim the styrofoam fastening pieces, since the OEM battery was a non-standard size.

MC
      01-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #225
jlc1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Red e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single-t View Post
Thanks for posting! I unfortunately had to replace my battery 3 days after I bought my used 07 335i. As someone coming from American muscle cars, you can imagine my shock when they told me it would be $356. But now I'm glad I had dealershp do it. Although I was pissed when I saw it was an Interstate battery that I could purchase myself and that they only warranty it for 2 years!

To those of you who just want to post negative comments, find another forum.
It could be worse - when my Schwabish Panzer got a battery light the dealer quote was $400+ (half battery, half labor) to replace (non-warranty since it is a "wear" part) a $50 AGM backup battery (in a hidden carrier in the engine compartment). Fortunately, I got the exact same battery from WalMart and did the replace meant myself - even put the MB stickers on the new one.

To do brakes on it requires deactivating the brake assist or else you can fire calipers apart if someone opens a car door. Never a dull moment working on it. If it wasn't for needing the trunk space it's be long gone for a BMW convertible.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #226
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

OP, you sure it wasn't a battery problem?
If it's just a lead acid battery, why the hell do we need to get it programmed?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #227
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Sigh
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #228
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Sigh
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #229
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
So what about all those guys (like Mr.5 and HP autowerks) using the Braille batteries with no problems? Not only not coded, but significantly different in capacity.

Not sure I'm buying op's theory.
Their systems were using AGM Brailles and properly registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
So Anyone have the braille? Fedex says mine is coming today but I'm not sure how to register it with my bt tool. I understand where the battery registration menu is but what's in it?

Any settings? What are they for the 21lb Braille?

EDIT: Also my car will be sitting for a good 5 days.....should I wait to install the new battery? I'm thinking yes.
I run a 21lb Braille in my e92 M3 with no issues (technology package). Your battery can be installed when you have the time for installation/registration.

We use the autologic tool for battery registration, I've never had the need to use my BT cable, but it should use a similar system in the GUI.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #230
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I run a 21lb Braille in my e92 M3 with no issues (technology package). Your battery can be installed when you have the time for installation/registration.

We use the autologic tool for battery registration, I've never had the need to use my BT cable, but it should use a similar system in the GUI.
Do you recommend charging the battery prior to installation? The warranty card I got with my battery stated the voltage is 13.05 when tested. I'm sure it has dropped a bit though over a 2 week+ period.

Also from what I've been reading on this forum, the 2 entries in the BT tool, Battery Adaptation Reset and Battery Registration, are redundant. They send the same command and no input is required by the user, me.

So I had an lead acid battery in my car.....well actually still do. But since the Braille is AGM, I think I need to take it to an indy to have it registered. Which reminds me I need to check the thread I posted in the regional section.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #231
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Do you recommend charging the battery prior to installation? The warranty card I got with my battery stated the voltage is 13.05 when tested. I'm sure it has dropped a bit though over a 2 week+ period.

Also from what I've been reading on this forum, the 2 entries in the BT tool, Battery Adaptation Reset and Battery Registration, are redundant. They send the same command and no input is required by the user, me.

So I had an lead acid battery in my car.....well actually still do. But since the Braille is AGM, I think I need to take it to an indy to have it registered. Which reminds me I need to check the thread I posted in the regional section.

Thanks.
Every Braille we're received here has been within the 12-13V level - we even take the extra step of pre-charging/topping off with our Fronius before shipping.

A multimeter will confirm what your voltage levels are at.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:26 AM   #232
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Sure they are obsessed alright. Here, read it for yourself about their obsession: European UnionMain article:

The European Union has its own set of emissions standards that all new vehicles must meet. Currently, standards are set for all road vehicles, trains, barges and 'nonroad mobile machinery' (such as tractors). No standards apply to seagoing ships or airplanes. The emissions standards change based on the test cycle used: ECE R49 (old) and ESC (European Steady Cycle, since 2000).

Currently there are no standards for CO2 emissions. The European Parliament has suggested introducing mandatory CO2 emission standards[2] to replace current voluntary commitments by the auto manufacturers (see ACEA agreement) and labeling. In late 2005, the European Commission started working on a proposal for a new law to limit CO2 emissions from cars.[3] The European Commission has received support of the European Parliament for its proposal to promote a broad market introduction of clean and energy efficient vehicles through public procurement.[4]

The EU is to introduce Euro 4 effective January 1, 2008, Euro 5 effective January 1, 2010 and Euro 6 effective January 1, 2014. These dates have been postponed for two years to give oil refineries the opportunity to modernize their plants.

The only state state (a size and economic powerhouse of a country) that is obsessed with air and pollution regulation is California my friend. We set the standard that the other states and countries follow.
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say with the one 'selected' quote.

I can assure you Europe is obsessed with CO2 emissions, how you interpret that may be different to me.

Is it the 'voluntary' aspect which leaves you thinking there is no action? I know our cars have been to Euro 4 since 2006, my own 2006 model is. Current BMW engines are to Euro 5. The whole thrust for the 130g/km average is being pushed hard. BMW bring the new 5-series 520d in under that average, 129g/km translates to 57.6mpg (imperial gallons). That is in itself a milestone to many. Personally I think that is some efffort for a car that is capable of 140mph and 0-62 in 8.1secs. The production 320d Efficient Dynamics model (the 3-series flagship), breaks the 110g/km barrier, that's 68.9mpg.

The whole taxation for motor vehicles in the UK is based on CO2 emissions. Our annual excise duty (Road Fund License) and the BIK (Benefit in Kind) for company car users is CO2 tiered. That is driving the reduction i demand for bigger engines, well over 50% of some model sales are the lowe CO2 vehicles.

Please don't have the impression Europe is doing little, we are paying heavy across the whole spead of taxation, because of CO2 emissions.

Plus our taxes on fuels are another 'voluntary' way we are being forced to kick the CO2 excesses. Premium diesel for my car is now about £6.30 per gallon, with VAT increases on the product, virtually as I write.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #233
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:

I can assure you Europe is obsessed with CO2 emissions, how you interpret that may be different to me.

Is it the 'voluntary' aspect which leaves you thinking there is no action? I know our cars have been to Euro 4 since 2006, my own 2006 model is. Current BMW engines are to Euro 5. The whole thrust for the 130g/km average is being pushed hard. BMW bring the new 5-series 520d in under that average, 129g/km translates to 57.6mpg (imperial gallons). That is in itself a milestone to many. Personally I think that is some efffort for a car that is capable of 140mph and 0-62 in 8.1secs. The production 320d Efficient Dynamics model (the 3-series flagship), breaks the 110g/km barrier, that's 68.9mpg.

The whole taxation for motor vehicles in the UK is based on CO2 emissions. Our annual excise duty (Road Fund License) and the BIK (Benefit in Kind) for company car users is CO2 tiered. That is driving the reduction i demand for bigger engines, well over 50% of some model sales are the lowe CO2 vehicles.

Please don't have the impression Europe is doing little, we are paying heavy across the whole spead of taxation, because of CO2 emissions.

Plus our taxes on fuels are another 'voluntary' way we are being forced to kick the CO2 excesses. Premium diesel for my car is now about £6.30 per gallon, with VAT increases on the product, virtually as I write.

HighlandPete
Some people here are so US-centric that they don't have a clue what is happening in the rest of the world.

Germany has been on the front line of taxing vehicles based on engine volume and CO2 emissions. This has been driving the start/stop devices found on nearly all new cars sold in Germany (including the new X3 that is built in the US but has the start/stop feature only for Europe bound cars,) low rolling resistance tires and the trend to tiny engines (Fiat's Multiair like the 2 cylinder for the 500.)

What is true is that Europe was late to jump on the emission bandwagon, but they've been driving that bus now for several years.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #234
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
What they did with the N54, and failed at in 2006, Nissan and Chevy do in 2010, and succeed. I wouldn't exactly call that leadership, seriously.
And how do you know this to be the case? Both the Nissan and Chevy are brand new models with no prior service history.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:21 AM   #235
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Sigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post

THINK ABOUT IT.
You think the OP is the FIRST to ever change his battery himself in an E9x? Why is it this the first mention of a battery blowing up?
This is NOT an AGM battery we're talking about here, or going from lead acid to AGM.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #236
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:

HighlandPete
+1. CO2 is a huge issue for you guys. I've read it time and time again with the new regulations/taxation. This is why I believe Benz went with the Smart Car.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #237
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I work on my own car. I do my own service. I get my hands dirty whenever possible.

I also read instructions and educate my self about what I'm doing prior to doing it.

What I was referring to as being ignorant is completely laying blame on BMW when if anybody is to blame, they would be the last ones. If I changed something and a week later it blew up, chances are either I effed up or whatever I put in there effed up.

Let's just say you have a common, everyday object like say a light fitting in your ceiling. It takes common, everyday objects like lightbulbs.

Only this is a BMW lightfitting and it takes BMW lightbulbs which look the same as other lightbulbs but are somehow different in a non-obvious way and different to all other lightbulbs in the market. BMW tell you about it in some manual somewhere but since they are replacing what is a worldwide standard item, nobody reads that part of the manual.

The lightbulb exlpodes, decapitating your pet poodle.

Whose fault is that?

And you know what you do with lightbulbs? You screw them.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #238
kaishang
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

(snip)

Well that's wrong, as Highland Pete has pointed out. Driving a high fuel use/CO2 emitting vehicle in Europe is prohibitively expensive.

Even China is doing more than California - they are coming down from a highly polluting/CO2 emitting start point but the biggest investors on solar, public transport and energy conservation are the Chinese.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #239
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I work on my own car. I do my own service. I get my hands dirty whenever possible.

I also read instructions and educate my self about what I'm doing prior to doing it.

What I was referring to as being ignorant is completely laying blame on BMW when if anybody is to blame, they would be the last ones. If I changed something and a week later it blew up, chances are either I effed up or whatever I put in there effed up.

Let's just say you have a common, everyday object like say a light fitting in your ceiling. It takes common, everyday objects like lightbulbs.

Only this is a BMW lightfitting and it takes BMW lightbulbs which look the same as other lightbulbs but are somehow different in a non-obvious way and different to all other lightbulbs in the market. BMW tell you about it in some manual somewhere but since they are replacing what is a worldwide standard item, nobody reads that part of the manual.

The lightbulb exlpodes, decapitating your pet poodle.

Whose fault is that?

And you know what you do with lightbulbs? You screw them.
Yours, don't assume anything.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #240
kaishang
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
If someone was to get injured as a result of failing to fit a BMW battery the non-BMW battery exploding and it ended up in court....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #241
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
Quote:
If someone was to get injured as a result of failing to fit a BMW battery the non-BMW battery exploding and it ended up in court....
Bmw will be held not liable. Their experts would destroy you. It is not bmw's fault that you didnt follow proper procedure in changing your battery. Plus they will blame you in 10 other ways.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #242
kaishang
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Bmw will be held not liable. Their experts would destroy you. It is not bmw's fault that you didnt follow proper procedure in changing your battery. Plus they will blame you in 10 other ways.
Like Camry owners didn't press the brake?
Appreciate 0