E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Riss Racing Mid-Pipes Installed

03-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 | E30 M3 || '51 Ford F1

Riss Racing Mid-Pipes Installed

Thank you Anthony & Adam@ Riss Racing! These guys are great to deal with..I know they're swamped w/ inquiries & always find a way to answer any questions I've had thus far, can't wait for my catless DP's to come in!

Below is the install of my newest mod, Riss Racing catless mid-pipes. I haven't dyno'd the car yet so I don't know exactly what I've gained in terms of HP but the car sounds incredible!(Posting sound clip ASAP). It FINALLY has that BMW rasp & groan that it's been missing, it finally sounds like what a car that comes w/ 300hp stock should sound like. I'm REALLY happy w/ how they came out, how they look underneath the car, & how the car feels!

Thank you TNT Motorsports, yet again, for another install! I know that most people in So-Cal go to Long Tran if they can, but just incase it's a performance mod that Long can't do, I highly recommend TNT. I've been using them since 2005 when I had my Evo! These guys are amazing. If anybody is interested PM me for their info, they are located in Granada Hills off Balboa.

Thank you Riss Racing for an incredible product!

Stock mid-pipes

RR mid-pipe(no cats!!)

One MP installed

RR exhaust gaskets

The RR MP's don't come with clamps, any exhaust shop should have clamps to use, however, TNT isn't an exhaust shop so I ended up going to pep boys & picking up 2 saddle clamps, as seen in the picture. Not ideal, but it works, I will upgrade the clamps soon.

Both MP's installed

Last edited by nlakind; 04-03-2009 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

get some new clamps on there ASAP...but you already know that.

how much do these cost?
      03-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^these ones are $300, the ceramic coated are a bit more expensive..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlakind View Post
^these ones are $300, the ceramic coated are a bit more expensive..
$300 bucks for two pieces of pipe...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

big baller dropping $$$ on pipes.

Notice any mid range power?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwahlert View Post
$300 bucks for two pieces of pipe...
quality pieces of pipes
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #7
Gen_E92
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: slow

Garage List
2007 335i  [7.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
get some new clamps on there ASAP...but you already know that.

how much do these cost?
+1

If you simply slip the RR midpipes OVER the stock pipes, I'm 99% sure it's leaking ...the RR pipes are 2.5" and stock pipes are 2.25", no way clamps can seal this kind of connection w/o welding...correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm running on RR midpipes too...what I did was use exhaust reducers that's 2.25" on one end and 2.5" on the other. The 2.25" end was welded to the stock pipes, and the RR midpipes can simply slip INTO (not OVER, which has much bigger chance of leaking) the 2.5" ID end and clamp them. Obviously I didn't weld the RR midpipes b/c I'll be selling them in the future.

If I want to reuse the stock midpipe again I can still slip them into the 2.5" end and weld them, no problem at all.

BTW if your car is E92, is your RR midpipes close to touching the under car brace? The problem with the pipes is that they angles lower and doesn't utilize the hangers near the end, therefore they hangs pretty low. Whenever I go over bumps I can hear they hit the brace, but not that bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
big baller dropping $$$ on pipes.

Notice any mid range power?
yes, you can feel a difference between the stock piping & these..mainly due to the elimination of the cats, if you were to keep resonators on i doubt you'd feel much of a difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_E92 View Post
+1

If you simply slip the RR midpipes OVER the stock pipes, I'm 99% sure it's leaking ...the RR pipes are 2.5" and stock pipes are 2.25", no way clamps can seal this kind of connection w/o welding...correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm running on RR midpipes too...what I did was use exhaust reducers that's 2.25" on one end and 2.5" on the other. The 2.25" end was welded to the stock pipes, and the RR midpipes can simply slip INTO (not OVER, which has much bigger chance of leaking) the 2.5" ID end and clamp them. Obviously I didn't weld the RR midpipes b/c I'll be selling them in the future.

If I want to reuse the stock midpipe again I can still slip them into the 2.5" end and weld them, no problem at all.

BTW if your car is E92, is your RR midpipes close to touching the under car brace? The problem with the pipes is that they angles lower and doesn't utilize the hangers near the end, therefore they hangs pretty low. Whenever I go over bumps I can hear they hit the brace, but not that bad.
i have an e90, they fit in nicely, misses the brace by about a half inch, maybe less! & i'm not going to weld these, i'm just going to upgrade the clamps, i forgot what the type of clamp i'm thinking about is called but it fully wraps the pipes & then screws on one side bringing the whole piece together. i have these clamps connecting my bastuck mufflers to my oem pipes & there was no leaking what so ever when we checked while installing the mp's..there shouldn't be any leaking connecting the mp's either..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
+1

Wow. That explains my whole debacle when I got these things installed on my car. I bought the ceramic coated ones and had them installed. On my drive home, I had a leak. I took it back to get it adjusted, and the shop blamed it on the catback system I had. I replied that I didn't have a problem with them connected to the stock secondary cat pipes. To fix it, they welded it, which made me , then I
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

I am not doing any welding just for midpipes. Case closed on buying those things now.
      03-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
I am not doing any welding just for midpipes. Case closed on buying those things now.
read the thread, they are a direct bolt on. i didn't weld mine, i have no exhaust leak. use quality clamps & there shouldn't be an issue!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
Gen_E92
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: slow

Garage List
2007 335i  [7.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlakind View Post
i have an e90, they fit in nicely, misses the brace by about a half inch, maybe less! & i'm not going to weld these, i'm just going to upgrade the clamps, i forgot what the type of clamp i'm thinking about is called but it fully wraps the pipes & then screws on one side bringing the whole piece together. i have these clamps connecting my bastuck mufflers to my oem pipes & there was no leaking what so ever when we checked while installing the mp's..there shouldn't be any leaking connecting the mp's either..
The bastuck should be a different situation. I'm willing to bet that, just like my RD axle-back, the opening where it connects to stock pipes is 2.25" ID, so the 2.25" OD stock pipes slips perfectly INTO the bastuck piping. Like I said, the problem with the RR midpipes is that they didn't taper their ends down to 2.25" to make the installation easier and reduce chance of leaking. I believe the Borla midpipes do have the tapered end design.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #13
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The bastuck should be a different situation. I'm willing to bet that, just like my RD axle-back, the opening where it connects to stock pipes is 2.25" ID, so the 2.25" OD stock pipes slips perfectly INTO the bastuck piping. Like I said, the problem with the RR midpipes is that they didn't taper their ends down to 2.25" to make the installation easier and reduce chance of leaking. I believe the Borla midpipes do have the tapered end design.
possibly different for the coupe, mine fit perfectly...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #14
E92White
**N54 Power Baby**
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i SGM

so check it out..if we have downpipes..but want to switch out the mid pipes to RR but want to keep the stock exhaust,will it bolt right on ?? cause last time I looked under my car the midpipes appeared to be welded on to the mufflers..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:56 PM   #15
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92White View Post
so check it out..if we have downpipes..but want to switch out the mid pipes to RR but want to keep the stock exhaust,will it bolt right on ?? cause last time I looked under my car the midpipes appeared to be welded on to the mufflers..
you have to cut the OEM mufflers. after you cut the OEM piping the RR mid-pipes bolt on
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 02:27 AM   #16
s1cke92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

well if i have rr mp coated and bastuck quads would i have a leak or direct bolt on with clamps?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1cke92 View Post
well if i have rr mp coated and bastuck quads would i have a leak or direct bolt on with clamps?
what? i'm sorry, i don't understand your question...

if you're asking if you'd have a leak, no..i don't think you would have a leak w/ the proper clamps!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 02:40 AM   #18
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

nlakind,

I will be picking up RR MP from fellow member on this board soon, and Bastuck Quad is on order. Could you tell me what kind of clamps did you use to prevent them from leaking? I'm thinking to use products like Turbo Hoses? I'm not looking forward to do any welding job done. Also is it true that on E90 with RR MP will push out the exhaust further out than on E92? Does your Bastuck tips stick out further than one with just Bastuck Quad w/o the RR MP? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #19
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaminz View Post
nlakind,

I will be picking up RR MP from fellow member on this board soon, and Bastuck Quad is on order. Could you tell me what kind of clamps did you use to prevent them from leaking? I'm thinking to use products like Turbo Hoses? I'm not looking forward to do any welding job done. Also is it true that on E90 with RR MP will push out the exhaust further out than on E92? Does your Bastuck tips stick out further than one with just Bastuck Quad w/o the RR MP? Thanks in advance

yes, it probably pushes it out a bit further then the coupe but you can only tell when you're looking at it directly from the side, nobody's ever commented on it in person...i think it looks amazing!

i used these clamps pictured below! i'm not leaking at all...i didn't weld at all & there is no reason to IMO.

here is a link to the clamps i have: CLAMPS - $7.95!

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #20
LiKWiD335xi
Anthony
Italy
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335xi

I had my cats cut out of my stock exhaust. We didn't do any welding and we used those style clamps pictured above. ZERO exhaust leaks.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #21
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaminz View Post
nlakind,

Funny that you mentioned it, but yeah, my tips stuck out maybe 1/4-1/2" more after getting them installed. It wasn't a biggy for me since my tips were tucked in a bit beforehand.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #22
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Thanks for the detailed info nlakind!

kyleb350,
Even without the RR MP, Bastuck will stick out bit further than E92. I'm guessing RR MP will push out even further.
Appreciate 0