E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What kind of oil do you use?

05-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #45
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
...In most instances though, spending $24 just once to find out that you could safely extend your OCI, even just a few thousand miles each time, would more than pay for itself over the life of the vehicle. At the end of the day, dumping good oil early isn't exactly financially or environmentally responsible either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
If you use Rotella, you need to be changing at 5K-7.5K miles, as it's a low-saps oil similar to LL-04, not LL-01. Note that T6 is an ACEA E9 oil designed for heavy trucks (Kenworth, etc.) big diesel engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
And I just have to say, after the millions and millions of miles that the collective members of this Forum have driven, with all the varied oil changing schemes used, I've not read one post from a member who has lost and engine due to inadequate lubrication, why we are STILL discussing oil 9 years into the E9X chassis life is really just stupid. Listen, just change the oil with a LL-01 spec oil and a good OE or OEM filter using BMWs recommendations or better, and you be just fine. It's really just not that hard to comprehend.
Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanlieu View Post
No one can argue from a fiscal POV: if you are concerned about wear that much you are better of spending the $ on an earlier OC.
Lot of good and informed opinions here. I'd like to toss in two thoughts:
1) I mentioned 5K-7.5K intervals with Rotella. I want to be sure that readers understand that the Rotella in question is a low-saps oil, designed for diesel engines running ultra-low-sulfur (15 ppm in US/CA) fuel, and because of that is not designed for the low-sulfur (200 ppm in US/CA) gasoline engines. It will wear out (use up TBN) too fast for extended intervals, especially in gasoline engines.
2) There has been substantial research on engine wear; specifically there has been quite a bit of research saying that (with synthetic oils designed for extended intervals) SHORTER INTERVALS INCREASE TOTAL WEAR. Check this post and it's references: http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/101...re-Engine-Wear and you can Google around for other references. In short, a 5K interval with LL-01 may well result in MORE engine wear than longer (15K BMW recommendations) intervals.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #46
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
If you use Rotella, you need to be changing at 5K-7.5K miles, as it's a low-saps oil similar to LL-04, not LL-01. Note that T6 is an ACEA E9 oil designed for heavy trucks (Kenworth, etc.) big diesel engines.
5K - 7.5K miles oil change is what most N54 enthusiast are suppost to do.....I forgot this thread is in the general section and not turbo charged section
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #47
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRWD View Post
Where are these tests people speak of ?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=29

To find more reports of N54 owners using Rotella T6 Google is yourbest friend Rotella N54 Blackstone

All this LL-01 advocacy please present a report from Blackstone showing better numbers than the Rotella report on the N54. I can only speak for Turbo charge BMWs not NA BMWs

The brain washing LL-01 LL-01 LL-01 sounds like a damn zombie programing. Produce your proof.......

Quote:

1) I mentioned 5K-7.5K intervals with Rotella. I want to be sure that readers understand that the Rotella in question is a low-saps oil, designed for diesel engines running ultra-low-sulfur (15 ppm in US/CA) fuel, and because of that is not designed for the low-sulfur (200 ppm in US/CA) gasoline engines. It will wear out (use up TBN) too fast for extended intervals, especially in gasoline engines.
2) There has been substantial research on engine wear; specifically there has been quite a bit of research saying that (with synthetic oils designed for extended intervals) SHORTER INTERVALS INCREASE TOTAL WEAR. Check this post and it's references: http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/101...re-Engine-Wear and you can Google around for other references. In short, a 5K interval with LL-01 may well result in MORE engine wear than longer (15K BMW recommendations) intervals.
See above report from Blackstone.......
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:23 PM   #48
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
All this LL-01 advocacy please present a report from Blackstone showing better numbers than the Rotella report on the N54. I can only speak for Turbo charge BMWs not NA BMWs

The brain washing LL-01 LL-01 LL-01 sounds like a damn zombie programing. Produce your proof.......

See above report from Blackstone.......
The only BS reports I can show you are for my M57; they (and other diesel guys' reports on LL-04 oils) indicate that the nominal 13k mile diesel engine interval is at the far end of the usable life of those oils, and that 10K is safer. That is in a ultra-low-sulfur environment in a turbo motor.

However, nothing you posted falsifies my assertion that care should be used with a LL-04 (or ACEA E9) oil in a gasoline engine. I presume that the Rotella oil with rating ACEA E9 is most similar to the ACEA A3/B4/C3 standard that BMW LL-04 is based on.

The LL-04 oils start with TBN around 7 while LL-01 (ACEA A3/B4) starts with 10. It's perfectly true that LL-04 oils will be used up sooner in a gasoline engine on low-sulfur gasoline than a diesel running ultra-low-sulfur. Nothing you say can change that fact. If Rotella E9 started with TBN 7 and you're now at 1.9, you've used ~2/7. But if you were using an LL-01 oil I might posit that you would be at TBN ~4.9 at the same interval, and have more margin and be able to go much longer.

What TBN does Rotella start with? It's your oil; I'm guessing you know it.
One other point: BS doesn't report TAN. Without that it's impossible to know the affect that the higher sulfur content is affecting the oil...

Last edited by floydarogers; 05-30-2014 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Unsatisfied with flippant first answer
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 05:44 AM   #49
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Since your engine is N/A w/ port fuel injection, I'd tend to agree with you to an extent; especially since that motor has been around forever. Once you add turbos and DI to the mix, it's a whole different ball game; this is especially true when trying to extend OCIs.

In most instances though, spending $24 just once to find out that you could safely extend your OCI, even just a few thousand miles each time, would more than pay for itself over the life of the vehicle. At the end of the day, dumping good oil early isn't exactly financially or environmentally responsible either.

Also, if BMW "knew better" then they wouldn't keep bouncing around on their OCI recommendations, for essentially the same motor, either...their recommendations don't apply to everyone. That's like running an OTS tune, or even the stock tune, and just trusting that it will work in EVERY situation without data logging. That just doesn't work.
The whole point of using an oil analysis is to understand the trend of how the oil is performing. One data point fails to do this. Oil longevity also depends on environmental conditions, fuel type, engine age, and driving use, so one time oil analysis doesn't help understand how the oil is performing. The argument most people on this Forum try to defend by using Blackstone reports is that BMW's OCIs are too long rather than too short. Which means, if you don't trust BMWs testing, then forgo the expense of a $25 lab report and just change the oil early - my argument .
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #50
RU_FASTR
Rep
Drives: E90 330i & E90 335i

While I was still covered by "free" maintenance I would change it once between dealer services using german Castrol. Since then it's had a steady diet of M1 0w40 every 7,500. I'm about to roll over 150k and all is well so far. Blackstone tells me I could go longer but my thinking is why bother. You're not going to get rich by saving a few bucks on oil and filters. Though an engine failure, unlikely as it is, might make you poor in a hurry.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #51
GoodtoGo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

While Rotella is marketed as a diesel engine oil, it exceeds all of the required specifications for BMW LL-01 5W-30, including use in gasoline engines and extended oil drain intervals. You have to read through these publicly available standards to understand what applications the oil would work for along with user's test reports and not just look at marketing information.

Also, a low SAPs (sulfated ash, phosphorus-sulfur) oil typically referrers to the contents of the oil and not the fuel, so fuel sulfur content is not relevant. This is specified because SPAs contaminants could damage certain catalysts and diesel exhaust particulate filters. Fuel sulfur content is relevant for diesel applications as it will damage diesel catalysts. A low SAPs oil is theretofore fine to use with gasoline catalytic converter systems, however low SAPs oils usually have a lower starting TBN number. Even so, Rotella is rated for extended drain intervals.

See below:

BMW LL-01 5W-30 meets:
API: SL/CF
ACEA: A3/B3 (longlife, extended drain intervals)

Rotella 5W-40 meets:
API: SM (exceeds SL/CF, safe for cat conv., approved for gasoline engines)
API: CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, SM, SL, SJ, SH
ACEA: E9 (longlife, extended drain intervals for diesel engines)

Oh, the BS report BuraQ posted is mine.... Thanks!

Quote:
Bravo!

Last edited by GoodtoGo; 05-30-2014 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #52
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

In case anyone is interested, I got a Blackstone test done on my N55 a little while ago as I was going to buy it off lease and wanted to get an idea of how the engine was doing. I have always followed BMW's OCI's (except for the first change was done at 1200 miles). Here is a link to my report: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=blackstone
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #53
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The whole point of using an oil analysis is to understand the trend of how the oil is performing. One data point fails to do this. Oil longevity also depends on environmental conditions, fuel type, engine age, and driving use, so one time oil analysis doesn't help understand how the oil is performing. The argument most people on this Forum try to defend by using Blackstone reports is that BMW's OCIs are too long rather than too short. Which means, if you don't trust BMWs testing, then forgo the expense of a $25 lab report and just change the oil early - my argument .
Agreed. Continuous UOAs are obviously more complete when it comes to trending as well as perhaps catching a mechanical issue before something goes boom, but when I wanted to run an oil that was previously untested on the N54 platform (RLI Bio-syn) then, well, you gotta start somewhere By testing it under MY conditions, with MY climate, and MY driving style, etc. for an entire year, that pretty much knocks out 99% of the variables. The only thing left would be mileage, where wear metals tend to decelerate anyway but that's pretty much why testing TBN allows for good indication of available oil life so you can leave a good bit of cushion in there towards the end of a OCI. I wanted to try a new oil out as well in order to see if it had any effect on keeping the back of our valves clean (something you obviously don't have to worry about).

As mentioned though, if I had an N52 under the hood as well and used a decent "synthetic" motor oil, I probably wouldn't give a shit about any of this either
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #54
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodtoGo View Post
...Even so, Rotella is rated for extended drain intervals.

See below:
BMW LL-01 5W-30 meets:
API: SL/CF
ACEA: A3/B3 (longlife, extended drain intervals)

Rotella 5W-40 meets:
API: SM (exceeds SL/CF, safe for cat conv., approved for gasoline engines)
API: CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, SM, SL, SJ, SH
ACEA: E9 (longlife, extended drain intervals for diesel engines)...
I personally don't understand why anyone uses SAE as a standard; it has almost no important information associated with it for real applications...

I will be interested to see which Shell oil gets labelled BMW LL-01 and LL-02, now that they're BMW's oil supplier. Who knows, maybe the T6/E9 will become the basis for LL-04.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #55
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The only BS reports I can show you are for my M57; they (and other diesel guys' reports on LL-04 oils) indicate that the nominal 13k mile diesel engine interval is at the far end of the usable life of those oils, and that 10K is safer. That is in a ultra-low-sulfur environment in a turbo motor.

However, nothing you posted falsifies my assertion that care should be used with a LL-04 (or ACEA E9) oil in a gasoline engine. I presume that the Rotella oil with rating ACEA E9 is most similar to the ACEA A3/B4/C3 standard that BMW LL-04 is based on.

The LL-04 oils start with TBN around 7 while LL-01 (ACEA A3/B4) starts with 10. It's perfectly true that LL-04 oils will be used up sooner in a gasoline engine on low-sulfur gasoline than a diesel running ultra-low-sulfur. Nothing you say can change that fact. If Rotella E9 started with TBN 7 and you're now at 1.9, you've used ~2/7. But if you were using an LL-01 oil I might posit that you would be at TBN ~4.9 at the same interval, and have more margin and be able to go much longer.

What TBN does Rotella start with? It's your oil; I'm guessing you know it.
One other point: BS doesn't report TAN. Without that it's impossible to know the affect that the higher sulfur content is affecting the oil...
Bro I think we settled on an agreement that oil changes between 5k-7k miles is ideal for the Rotella T6 5w-40 on the N54 platform. So going into a dialogue about the science of TBN etc etc is absolutely futile.

We are talking about the N54 platform here for "enthusiasts" whom drive agressively or their cars are tuned aggressively in which sub 9k miles oil changes is a must.

The TBN value for Rotella T6 5w-40 is 10.6 , it also meets the requirement of API SM , which means it can be used in gasoline engines. Data sheet attached..
Attached Images
File Type: pdf tds_shell_rotella_t6_5w-40_(cj-4)_v1.pdf (286.9 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by BQTuning; 05-30-2014 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #56
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Meh, I've seen a few pretty decent UOA results on even BMW fill @ ~7500 miles intervals. Just like dyno numbers though, these figures are only really relative to THAT particular user.

T6 is fantastic oil though and a true bargain to boot. I use that stuff in many cars, bikes, etc. and the results are always fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #57
Imbue
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 Xdrive

Havoline 5W30 FULL Synthetic
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #58
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
I use AMSOIL 5w-40 euro blend with high sap.

Use bosch long life filters.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #59
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

T6 in all my turbo cars with the following observations, very clean motor internals and almost no oil usage under normal driving or duress! I do agree with changing it every 5-7k.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #60
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I use Motul 300V 5w-40. Will be changing to Motul 8100 or Mobil 1 0w-40 later because i can no longer afford boutique luxurious oil like 300V xD No more race boy for me anymore lol
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #61
freon480
12:34
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325xi

Ive been using valvoline synpower 5w30 changing every 5k max. At 209k I use bmw/mann filters only.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #62
BG139
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 320D Havanna

fuchs oil!
Appreciate 0