E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2007 335i overheating help

06-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Die_Low
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

2007 335i overheating help

I have a 2007 335i with only 44k miles. I recently moved to bay area california, came from texas. I just got my oil changed at a shop in california. they used 0w40 and previously i used 5w30. They also replaced my brakes and brake sensor. after they finished the oil change and brake job when i got in the car the brake light was still red. so one of the techs put his new touch screen diagnostic tool to the obd port and ran scans and resets. He did not seem familiar with the tool and took him quite a while, he seemed to reset a lot of stuff on the car. Once everything was done the first stop I made was down the street to chevron to pump gas. I proceeded to head home after that. I tried to on the gas a little and noticed my car was running extremely sluggish, no boost, and had my foot down to the pedal in every gear. the car felt like it was in limp mode, however no check engine lights no codes. As I came close to my exit on the highway the temp warning came on. First it says drive moderately because of high temperatures. then it gave me engine is too hot must shut down and let car cool down. So i pulled to side of high and let car cool down. This all happened within 20min of driving through traffic. And no codes came up.

could it have been something the tech reset through the diagnostic tool of his?

I am running procede rev3 with vishnu flex fuel conversion. I have been running this set up for over a year and been pumping e85 through out that time.

I did a lot of research on google, youtube, e90 post. I have reset all adaptations on the procede rev3. I was low on coolant so I added about half a gallon. after adding the coolant I bleed (burp) the electronic water pump 3 times. The first time I had the cap open (I know I am suppose to have cap close) I wanted to make sure the water pump was actually pumping the fluid back to the tank, which it does for 12 min. The next two bleeds (burps) were done with the cap closed. Once I have done those trouble shooting steps I drove it around the block 3 times and you can feel that it is in limp mode and hear the fan roaring. Once again no engine light, no errors, no codes, no high or over heating warning.

The shop owners say its not the weight of the oil, and they think that the water pump needs to replaced.

Is it just ironic my water pump would go out right after a oil change?

Can it be the weight of the oil?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
Die_Low
Private
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Die_Low
Private
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Read your codes man. There might be shadow codes that he might have cleared before surely you would have a code now.
      06-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
Die_Low
Private
Rep

Unhappy

I still have no codes. Thank you for your response
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Die_Low
Private
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
Die_Low
Private
Rep

obi wan kenobi you're my only hope.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

If your pump is running for the bleed procedure, wouldn't it still be functional? My understanding is that if it's dead, it's dead. Maybe the thermostat?

Driving around the block won't be enough to hit operating temperature, so it wouldn't throw the overheat light yet.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Die_Low
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
If your pump is running for the bleed procedure, wouldn't it still be functional? My understanding is that if it's dead, it's dead. Maybe the thermostat?

Driving around the block won't be enough to hit operating temperature, so it wouldn't throw the overheat light yet.
That is correct, when driving around the block it will not throw temperature warning, it does go in limp mode after going around the block once. and about the 3rd to 4th time around the block the car temp shows that it full temperature, and you can hear the fan roaring.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
Die_Low
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post

Just called the dealership, and they said that if my water pump is still able to bleed, that doesnt mean its still good.
Appreciate 0