E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Sonnax Zip kit help needed

06-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
Modmike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BLack 2008 335i

Sonnax Zip kit help needed

I am rebuilding my A063 gen2 valve body and have questions:

1) The 7 end plugs that go on the solenoid side have a threaded hole. I realized that this should face outwards in the event you need to remove them using a bolt. Is this correct?

2) I installed 2 with the threaded hole facing in before I realized my mistake. Is this a problem? If so how do I get them out?

3) I had to tap the end plugs in because they were way to tight. The rings seemed to have gotten slightly shaved. I have a super tight seal but is this normal?

4) There are 4 check valves, 3 grey, 1 blue. is this the correct layout? Are all the springs the same except for blue?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1481552261

I am ready to reassemble, any tips?

How to import a BMW into Canada without getting rear ended

Last edited by Modmike; 06-04-2017 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmike View Post
I am rebuilding my A063 gen2 valve body and have questions:

1) The 7 end plugs that go on the solenoid side have a threaded hole. I realized that this should face outwards in the event you need to remove them using a bolt. Is this correct?

2) I installed 2 with the threaded hole facing in before I realized my mistake. Is this a problem? If so how do I get them out?

3) I had to tap the end plugs in because they were way to tight. The rings seemed to have gotten slightly shaved. I have a super tight seal but is this normal?

4) There are 4 check valves, 3 grey, 1 blue. is this the correct layout? Are all the springs the same except for blue?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1481552261

I am ready to reassemble, any tips?
1). That is correct
2). No it is not a problem and you do not need to remove them.
3). Yes that happened to me also. I tried to be very careful after the first one and slowly ease it in there. I did slightly shave a couple of the o-rings. Just remove the remnant.
4). See the pictures below for layout I had. I do not remember the spring sizes.

When reassembling, align the separator plate on the check valves. The check valves will hold up the separator plate with their springs. Then slowly lower the top of the upper half of the valve assembly. Make sure the separator plate is in the correct position as you fasten together the two halves. Do not tight until the fasteners are in and threaded.
Cheers!
Attached Images

06-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
Modmike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BLack 2008 335i

Thank you for all the answers. It's hard to tell from the picture where the blue one goes but it seems to be the only one that goes into a hole that is not drilled through.

The springs did not come off the plastic so I am ok. I guess it's time to close it up!

Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmike View Post
Thank you for all the answers. It's hard to tell from the picture where the blue one goes but it seems to be the only one that goes into a hole that is not drilled through.

The springs did not come off the plastic so I am ok. I guess it's time to close it up!

Thank you so much!
If you look at the full picture, you can see the blue check valve on bottom of the picture just adjacent to the filter screen.

Good luck!
      11-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
slewis140
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i 08

Question about check ball locations. Where did you put the x'd out checkball location that was on the sonnax sheet instead?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #6
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis140 View Post
Question about check ball locations. Where did you put the x'd out checkball location that was on the sonnax sheet instead?
I never had a ball check in that location. If you look at the sheet, I added the additional locations where my ball check valves were located.
      04-07-2024, 07:43 PM   #7
kevo409
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 325i

Hello, my E39 has 124k and I bought it despite it not shifting into 6th gear. I bought a valve body zip kit and am installing the new screens and the clutch valves. In reading the Sonnax materials, I read the “critical wear areas & vacuum test locations” and it says that the pump also has a zip kit that I can buy. Question: is it always recommended to put a zip kit in the pump if you’re putting one in the valve body? I was REALLY hoping NOT to have to take the car apart to get to the pump.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 10:15 AM   #8
PhaceN52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 N52B30 US spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo409 View Post
Hello, my E39 has 124k and I bought it despite it not shifting into 6th gear. I bought a valve body zip kit and am installing the new screens and the clutch valves. In reading the Sonnax materials, I read the “critical wear areas & vacuum test locations” and it says that the pump also has a zip kit that I can buy. Question: is it always recommended to put a zip kit in the pump if you’re putting one in the valve body? I was REALLY hoping NOT to have to take the car apart to get to the pump.
Giving that you'd have to remove the transmission to get to the pump as you said, I'd try first with the valvebody only to see if it comes back to life
Appreciate 0