E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Rear wheel bearing, how citical?

06-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

Rear wheel bearing, how citical?

so, my right rear wheel bearing is going out, its making the worbling noise at speed and its been audible for the past week, getting louder at lower and lower speeds

my local dealer can fix it....for over $1000 in parts and labor
various nearby indie shops quoted it for a more reasonable $400 at 2.5 hours and $100 for the part

however mist of these indie shops book several days to a week in advance, and this e91 is my daily driver to get to work......
how critical is the wheel bearing? will it still go another 500 miles or so once it starts to get loud or should I IMMEDIATELY stop driving it until its fixed?

thanks

Stock as stock can be (for now)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
markus037
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2010 328Xi

your wheel may fall off. get it replaced asap
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

just got it replaced at a local indie that doesnt usually do bmws, but knows what to do for them
it took longer than expected though since the hub was seized on the shaft so they had to destroy it to get it off, meaning i needed a new hub in addition to the bearing
ended up being $99 for bearing, $113 for hub, $247 labor.
worth it though, its now far quieter in the cabin and no more worrying about the wheel popping off on the highway

apparently i got to it really early though, most people with a problem like this wait until thousands of miles later than i did

Stock as stock can be (for now)
Appreciate 0