Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Review: ASA-JH3 17x7.5 & Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's on E90 330i w/SP from Tiretrends

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
voodoo22
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 - 330i

Review: ASA-JH3 17x7.5 & Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's on E90 330i w/SP from Tiretrends

So I finally bought my winter package from Tiretrends and put it on yesterday. (At this point I have no opinion of Tiretrends. It took a couple weeks to get my tires and rims and one of the rims has a very minor gouge in it. They told me I could send the rim back or they would credit me $50 for my next purchase. I need the tires for some traveling so returning the rims is an unacceptable solution and also, by the time I pay for removing and then mounting and balancing a new tire, it would be a ridiculous cost. The torque wrench I purchased from them also appears to be malfunctioning. I think the $50 option isn't of any significance at all. So far I am disappointed and would say I will use Tirerack next time, but I'll have to wait and see what their final proposal is to solve this.

I think setup looks nice and the people at work like it more than the 162's, but I think they're just saying that because it's something new.

INSTALLATION
===========

I bought a TORIN JACK from Northerntools.ca, and it worked great by sticking it under the mount points. I did one wheel at a time and since I couldn't find any wheel chocks in the GTA, I used the JACK STANDS to keep the car stable, by sticking them under the front tires. The Jack was amazing and light. It lifted the front side of the car in less than 2 & 1/2 full movements and the rubber padding in the cup protected the mount points of the car. I was pleased with how the 162's came of with no force. Not stuck, but I've only had the car since August and have only 10000kms on it. I put on some lithium grease on the hub first and had no problem putting the ASA-JH3's on. They mount perfectly. I used a gorilla torque wrench and set it to 90 lbs. (I wouldn't recommend this torque wrench. It seems finicky and I have to work it back and forth sometimes to get it to the proper setting.)

**Thanks to the people on this board who l learned about putting an anti-seizing product on the hubs. I hope this makes a difference in the future, because my 325i became very rusted, even though I would sand it down between changes; and it would be nice to not have to bring out the sledge .**

LOOKS
===========

The rear wheels look small and a little hidden, the fronts look fine. It was definitely worth it to get the BMW stickers on some caps. I like the look and think it is great for a winter setup.

**Thanks goes out to the people on this forum whom I learned about the BMW caps from**

HANDLING
===========

I haven't driven much since the change, but I can tell that this setup results in a lighter, quicker, more balanced feeling car. I just drove over some railway tracks and speed bumps and the difference between these tires and my ZSP setup is HUGE. Cornering is definitely spongier, but still feels quite solid. I know that some of the improved ride would have been experienced if I had purchased RFT's, because of going from 18x8 225/40 & 18x8.5 255/35 to 17x7.5 225/45 all around, but this is a very large difference. A difference which makes it worth it to me to have a tire sealant kit for every day driving and one of my front summers in the trunk with a jack for long trips.

There's no snow here yet, so I can't tell how the tires handle in the snow/ice yet, but they feel very grippy, are quiet and seem to perform well so far in the cool 4 degree celsius weather currently here.

ACCESSORIES
===========

I'd also recommend tire totes. They are great for keeping the area clean where you store your wheels and make it a lot easier to carry your wheels. I didn't have time to buy a breaker bar, and I would definitely reccomend that to people. Loosening the lugs with a 3/8" driver socket wrench was a bit of a pain and uneccessary.

**Thanks to all the people who posted informative stories which I used to make my decision, I really appreciate all the information shared in this forum. I will be posting pictures in a couple days if there's interest.**

Last edited by voodoo22; 10-27-2006 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
voodoo22
Private
Canada
Rep

pics 1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
voodoo22
Private
Canada
Rep

pics 2
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe - SOLD

For 17" winters they actually look pretty good!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I also saw a few @ bimmerfest, I'll post these pics for others to see
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 10:36 AM   #6
permesso
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

anti-seize

Nice write up.

I am doing a similar setup. I have a e90 330i w/SP as well. I bought the same wheels (with BMW caps) and Dunlop Winter Sport M3 (runflat) tires from Tirerack. I haven't put them on yet. I have a nice jack, jack stands, torque wrench and all that. But, I have never used anti-seize before. You mentioned lithium grease - is that the anti-seize or did you buy a product labeled as such? Where exactly do you put it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

thanx for sharring

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2006, 12:39 PM   #8
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Thanks for the writeup and photos.

I have the same tires and wheels, and I plan to put them on in a month or so. They look good, though you're right that the rear tires look pretty small after getting used to the 162s.
      10-29-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
voodoo22
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by permesso
Nice write up.

I am doing a similar setup. I have a e90 330i w/SP as well. I bought the same wheels (with BMW caps) and Dunlop Winter Sport M3 (runflat) tires from Tirerack. I haven't put them on yet. I have a nice jack, jack stands, torque wrench and all that. But, I have never used anti-seize before. You mentioned lithium grease - is that the anti-seize or did you buy a product labeled as such? Where exactly do you put it? Thanks.
I purchased some lithium greese at Canadian Tire (That's what it's called), because I couldn't find something specifically called anti-seize compound, but from what I've read and from the people I asked, it should do the job. You want to sand and clean your hubs on the car so that they are clean and then apply what ever goop you decide on on the the hub, then put the wheel on. I've never done this before, so I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a shot, because my e46 235i, became a massive pain to change the rims on, even though I would sand and clean them when I swapped the summers and winters.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
voodoo22
Private
Canada
Rep

An update on the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's. I drove over 700 km's on the weekend, through ice rain, snow, rain, wind, temperatures ranging from -3 celsius to +12, at speeds up to 160 km/h and I'd have to say I'm very impressed with the tires.

They feel spongier, or less rigid than a summer tire, but traction in the rain was excellent and I felt very safe at the high speeds. The traction did start to give out a little when the temp was +7 and above and I launched fairly aggressively, but still excellent for a winter tire.

The ride quality continues to impress me. I had forgotten what it felt like to have a sidewall on a tire which actually absorbs some impact.

My car is also starting to break in a bit lately, as te engine sounds throatier and I felt like the car was getting a little quicker just before I swapped the tires.

I can hardly wait to wear out my oem rft's and replace them with some non-rft's.
Appreciate 0