E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 N46 Changing your Crankcase Oil Separator (CCV)

03-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
poggy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 318i SE

E90 N46 Changing your Crankcase Oil Separator (CCV)

I've just this morning replaced the crankcase oil separator on my 2007 E90 318i (N46). It took me about 3hrs, including being disturbed and using a wrong sized Torx bit (make sure you have a good one that doesn't damage the Torx screw heads), so you could do it faster - I understand dealers quote about 2hrs to do this; ~£400 incl. VAT labour.

The advice i've seen so far suggests that the intake manifold needs to be removed - it doesn't.

Here's some simple instructions on how to do it. Whilst i didn't take any pics, i refer to the terminology on the parts catalogue, e.g.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E9...oil_separator/

Preparation
  1. Remove front air intake manifold and intake muffler
  2. Remove micro filter and the cover at the lower edge of the windscreen on which it is mounted
  3. Remove left hand strut brace

Separator removal
  1. Remove vent hose - 11157533332
  2. Remove connecting line - 11157542633
  3. Remove three mounting torx screws (T25) - you'll need a 1/4" ratchet, short extension and Torx bit
  4. Lastly remove the return pipe off the bottom.
  5. The separator then just lifts out with a bit of manipulation.

Of course, reassembly is the reverse of removal:-)

Notes:
  • You will find you'll need to remove a couple of electrical connectors and may find it helpful to move a cable or two just to aid visibility.
  • Removal of the Torx screws is actually pretty easy. You cant see them all unless you have a small mirror but if you have the new part, its obvious where they are.
  • All vent pipes remove by pressing integrated plastic clips and pulling the hose at the same time. The pipes were 'kopex'-like, flexible plastic hose. They didn't need replacing but I flushed one of them through with a pipe cleaner and petrol.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
peter2704
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw e91 320i

hi, toying with doing this on my e91 320i (hopefully the same procedure) can you remove the ccv without out taking inlet manifold off ? are you sure? if you dont need to remove it then i am feeling more confident at tackling the job
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
Liem
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90

Hi, great job on the DIY. Have you noticed that it still loses oil and smokes for a while after? I've had mine done by the family mechanic and noticing smoking and oil loss but at a much slower rate. So hoping it should wear off.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #4
pablothegreat
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M Sport

Hi guys, sorry to revive an old thread.
Mine is an N46 too and needs replacing. But does anyone know a decent place to order from? Also, do I need to replace the hoses as well as the CCV, or will just the CCv do?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
poggy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 318i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothegreat View Post
Hi guys, sorry to revive an old thread.
Mine is an N46 too and needs replacing. But does anyone know a decent place to order from? Also, do I need to replace the hoses as well as the CCV, or will just the CCv do?

Thanks in advance
There's a dealer, Cotswolds I think, on one of the uk forums (classifieds?) who does good prices - I'd recommend going there.

I didn't replace the hoses, I just gave them a good clean.
Appreciate 0