E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My PROcede journey begins.....

06-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #23
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila_the_Bum View Post
Just read your PROcede thread - you've inspired me. Once I have a few K's under my belt I will investigate further. I know there is an Australian company that does the excede upgrade on the Gold Coast (or you can do it yourself) which sounds like a Procede copy. I'm wondering which way is the best to go - import or local. Any suggestions. Oh, and well done on installing it yourself - I would be terrified too!
Hiya Attila,

I know of the Xede company on the Gold Coast too and also looked into their upgrade. I think they do an Xede, install and dyno for less than price a PROcede (as it lands here from the USA with GST).

I went PROcede because it is supposedly meant to have a slightly higher output than the Xede and eventually much more once V2 is released. Also Shiv’s input here is a huge plus.

I think part of the reason I thought the install was harder than I expected was due to nerves. Would my engine actually start after such an elaborate mechanical modification? Luckily - it did without any errors. I am still wearing a few cuts but must say I am glad the install is over. I really hope I don’t have to go through it again for some time, though I would find a repeat performance a lot easier the second time round.

The power is much stronger and you can really hear the turbos now. In fact it’s hard to find the right piece of road where you can a) keep traction and b) open her up long enough before closing in on the car in front like a missile.

If price is not a problem, my advice would be to go with the PROcede and have a friend with some mechanical ability help you out. I would say any professional mechanic not familiar with 335’s or PROcedes would be in a similar boat installing it for you - but would charge you to do so.

Cheers.

Last edited by CaptOz; 06-18-2007 at 01:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #24
SGP335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92 Jet Blk

Good post Oz, thanks for the info. I'll be ordering mine shortly
      06-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #25
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

I have to say that I'm really enjoying the "play by play" description of your "journey". I don't think anyone has done anything like this. I would like to see the "journey" continue to a dyno shop to confirm everything. Thanks for the read!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 02:13 AM   #26
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
I would like to see the "journey" continue to a dyno shop to confirm everything.
A dyno may be on the cards norm. The result would be interesting.

DAY 3

This is the third day straight of rain here. Even during the rain pauses, the road does not have time to dry out fully.

With the PROcede there is no way you can come close to using all the 335’s power on a less than perfectly dry road.
  1. With DSC fully on you just get the dash light flashing and the engine power being cut. I find this embarrassing, as it must sound odd to pedestrians.
  2. With DTC partly disabled (one DSC button push) it is better but the power will still be cut to reduce the wheel spin. It is the best compromise though.
  3. DSC fully off (5 second DSC button push) frees up the 335 to do its own thing. Unfortunately that means wheel spin like a top. NO WAY to get traction.
I had always wondered what the power difference would be like with the PROcede before installed it, so I will try to explain:
  • The engine is definitely smoother. I always thought the 335 engine was a little “surgy” when driving. The PROcede has smoothed out this unevenness.
  • The low RPM torque is much greater. I can now easily out-accelerate other cars with only 2,000 RPM and half open throttle. The low rev surge is amazing. In fact you have to concentrate or it can catch you out.
  • It you were to put you foot down from a standstill, the boost hammers in now. The feeling is very different and it gave my mate a scare when I did this. It almost feels like a different car now. I have driven an M5 and M6 and I was reminded of that level of performance.

I have a friend with a 2000 model 911 4 (996) with the 3.4 litre engine. Even before the PROcede the 335 was quicker. Now it will blow it away. I will be taking the 335 to a racetrack south of Sydney in the near future. I will be on the track with mainly newer 911’s. I think in a straight line the 335 will now be able to keep even a new 977 Porsche in check.

I shall give you a dry road report soon (I hope).

Cheers.

Last edited by CaptOz; 06-18-2007 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 02:53 AM   #27
Das M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 ///M3

Great thread, great info. Makes me want to run out and get a PROcede. Thanks for the write up. Have fun.
      06-18-2007, 06:55 AM   #28
manyways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

Hey CaptOz, feel like a nice drive down to good ol Melb, maybe u can install the procede for me and atilla when we decide to get it....lol

Are you going to be taking it out when u go in for service etc? Not worried about warranty being affected? They will be my major worries from getting it so far
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 07:04 AM   #29
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyways View Post
Hey CaptOz, feel like a nice drive down to good ol Melb, maybe u can install the procede for me and atilla when we decide to get it....lol

Are you going to be taking it out when u go in for service etc? Not worried about warranty being affected? They will be my major worries from getting it so far
I'll start driving now.

Actually, I have quite a few relatives in Melbourne. My wife and I love the place too.

I will take the PROcede out when I get the car serviced at 23,000km. Hopefully that won't be for a while. The car has been 100% reliable so far - touch wood.

I don’t really expect to have a warranty issue relating to the PROcede. The engine feels bulletproof even with the extra power. If anything, I would expect the fuel pump, power seatbelt arm, CD player or some other item to be the cause of any trip to the dealer before the engine.

Hey…..if I can install it, you can install it.

Or…hmmm….fancy a drive to Sydney?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #30
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
CaptOz, you are inspiring me to get a PROcede.

I like your comment : " ...before closing in on the car in front like a missile"

Just a question, is there a lot of difference driving in standard drive mode VS sport mode with your PROcede? Currently unPROceeded, my car feels completely different driven in sports VS standard mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #31
Attila_the_Bum
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Hey - perhaps manyways, danielt and me can get a group discount! Then all three of us can descend on CaptOz's place for fitting! LOL
E92 335i Coupe Ordered 11/05/2007 Sparkling Graphite, Black Dakota, Poplar grain grey, 19” star spoke 230s, Steptronic, Paddles, Sunroof, Climate Comfort Screen, Comfort Access System, Anti Dazzle Mirrors, Seat heating, Hi-Fi Logic7, USB, Electric rear roller blind
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #32
stefano7171
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post
A dyno may be on the cards norm. The result would be interesting.

DAY 3

This is the third day straight of rain here. Even during the rain pauses, the road does not have time to dry out fully.

With the PROcede there is no way you can come close to using all the 335’s power on a less than perfectly dry road.
  1. With DSC fully on you just get the dash light flashing and the engine power being cut. I find this embarrassing, as it must sound odd to pedestrians.
  2. With DTC partly disabled (one DSC button push) it is better but the power will still be cut to reduce the wheel spin. It is the best compromise though.
  3. DSC fully off (5 second DSC button push) frees up the 335 to do its own thing. Unfortunately that means wheel spin like a top. NO WAY to get traction.
I had always wondered what the power difference would be like with the PROcede before installed it, so I will try to explain:
  • The engine is definitely smoother. I always thought the 335 engine was a little “surgy” when driving. The PROcede has smoothed out this unevenness.
  • The low RPM torque is much greater. I can now easily out-accelerate other cars with only 3,000 RPM and half open throttle. The low rev surge is amazing. In fact you have to concentrate or it can catch you out.
  • It you were to put you foot down from a standstill, the boost hammers in now. The feeling is very different and it gave my mate a scare when I did this. It almost feels like a different car now. I have driven an M5 and M6 and I was reminded of that level of performance.

I have a friend with a 2000 model 911 4 (996) with the 3.4 litre engine. Even before the PROcede the 335 was quicker. Now it will blow it away. I will be taking the 335 to a racetrack south of Sydney in the near future. I will be on the track with mainly newer 911’s. I think in a straight line the 335 will now be able to keep even a new 977 Porsche in check.

I shall give you a dry road report soon (I hope).

Cheers.
Thanks for your nice report!
I had a 996 Carrera before the 335 and I can confirm that "on the go" a stock 335, especially an AT, will be quicker of the 996. From a standstill it is a different story, the traction of a 911 is simply hard to beat unless you have lots of more HP... and there is when the Procede is needed !
I reckon that a Procede V2 car will be quicker than a standard Porsche 997 on a straight line and as quick as a 997 "S" (maybe the bimmer will be 0.1/2 secs slower to 60, no more).
Keep us updated and please post the step by step guide (I.e. Procede for Dummies guide )!
      06-18-2007, 11:12 AM   #33
DanMardik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 INFINITI G37S

Great write up great choice!

Thanks!
      06-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #34
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Start thinking about tyres and a LSD to contend with the power. And suspension upgrades to deal with the dicey situations you are bound to get yourself into. Thanks for the useful tidbits -- perhaps more comments on how you sliced your hands up etc. would be of use to the rest of us tyros.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #35
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Guys, take an extra 30 seconds to remove your strut brace to remove/re-install the ECU cover easier...

the bolt is size 11mm, use a ratchet and remove it...makes the world so much easier

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #36
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
Guys, take an extra 30 seconds to remove your strut brace to remove/re-install the ECU cover easier...

the bolt is size 11mm, use a ratchet and remove it...makes the world so much easier
Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #37
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post
Just a question, is there a lot of difference driving in standard drive mode VS sport mode with your PROcede? Currently unPROceeded, my car feels completely different driven in sports VS standard mode.
I find the main advantage with Sport mode with the Steptronic is that it is more common for the 335 to be in a higher gear than normal. This also helps a little by adding a some engine braking on twisty roads. Once the roads dry out here (expected Thursday), I’ll do some off-the-mark acceleration tests between the two modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila_the_Bum View Post
Hey - perhaps manyways, danielt and me can get a group discount! Then all three of us can descend on CaptOz's place for fitting! LOL
Hey… I’d be happy to help out. The beer fridge is full too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano7171 View Post
Thanks for your nice report!
Keep us updated and please post the step by step guide (I.e. Procede for Dummies guide )!
I have already started planning the install guide for dummies. You can be assured that it will be put together by the biggest mechanical dummy walking the earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Start thinking about tyres and a LSD to contend with the power. And suspension upgrades to deal with the dicey situations you are bound to get yourself into. Thanks for the useful tidbits -- perhaps more comments on how you sliced your hands up etc. would be of use to the rest of us tyros.
I really have to get a LSD. The problem is the BMW tuner I spoke to in Sydney wanted $5,800 to install a Drexler differential. Seems a little pricey to me. Maybe I will have to investigate other options.

My cut fingers are getting better. It’s not really the cuts that bothered me but the re-cutting as it happened again putting the car back together. I’ll point out the sharp bits in the guide.

Cheers.

Last edited by CaptOz; 06-19-2007 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 01:40 AM   #38
stefano7171
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 335i Msport

I have already started planning the install guide for dummies. You can be assured that it will be put together by the biggest mechanical dummy walking the earth.

:[/QUOTE]

Well, if you manage to install it and now run the car with no issues, you must be not that dumb after all
      06-19-2007, 03:14 AM   #39
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Well, if you manage to install it and now run the car with no issues, you must be not that dumb after all [/QUOTE]

Just very patient and methodical.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #40
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
Hi CaptOZ, just wondering how much it cost landed here in OZ with GST and customs duty etc. Just doing the sums...

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 04:31 PM   #41
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post
Hi CaptOZ, just wondering how much it cost landed here in OZ with GST and customs duty etc. Just doing the sums...

Thanks.
Hi Daniel.

It worked out in Aussie dollars as:

PROcede deposit: $237.91
PROcede balance: $1,504.52
GST, etc: $321.85
Total: $2,064.28

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:11 PM   #42
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I got a Quaife LSD for US$1695.
I really recommend the new Pirelli P-0 tires (not the P-0 neros or rossos, but the new extreme performance ones), they made a huge difference.
Appreciate 0