E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > STETT Performance Stage 2 Oil Cooler Kit w/ 180F Thermostat **EXTENSIVE REVIEW/DIY**

12-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #133
kanecvl
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 535d

How long was the install time?
      12-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #134
qtrlifecrisis
Scenic Artist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

being that i'll be taking my car to trackdays in the warm california summers i'd assume that this would be a worthwhile mod after my warranty is done?

great write up!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:07 AM   #135
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanecvl View Post
How long was the install time?
I find it is hard to exactly estimate this on my car since I am trying to document the install. I suspect it can easily be done in under 4 hours though from start to stop. It is not a difficult install, but the prep does take a little time.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:07 AM   #136
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMaroZ View Post
being that i'll be taking my car to trackdays in the warm california summers i'd assume that this would be a worthwhile mod after my warranty is done?

great write up!
Thanks for the kind words SloMaroZ! I think the N54 just runs too hot, so I think it is a great mod for any N54.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #137
kanecvl
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I find it is hard to exactly estimate this on my car since I am trying to document the install. I suspect it can easily be done in under 4 hours though from start to stop. It is not a difficult install, but the prep does take a little time.
oh ok. Mine may take a lil longer since I don't have a stock oil cooler.
      01-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #138
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am curious since you won't have to remove all the stock stuff. Let us know how long it takes.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #139
kanecvl
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I wanted to write up a review but he said they didn't need it.
      01-04-2011, 05:07 AM   #140
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I wanted to write up a review but he said they didn't need it.
You can probably just update this thread and tell us how long it took?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 05:43 AM   #141
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Former_Boosted_IS: I was wondering if you possibly checked that the thermostat in this kit allows oil to flow to the oil cooler when the oil is cold. If not then I'm afraid I'm definitely not going to use it. (I have one...)

I believe the original thermostat allows oil to flow BOTH directly to the other side of the thermostat housing and through the oil cooler line. When hot, the thermostat closes and only allows oil through the oil cooler line.

If it does not, then what you are doing is giving your engine a shot of cold oil, (ie. on a cold day,) once that thermostat does open and allows oil to flow through the oil cooler!!! I don't think this is a good thing...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 05:45 AM   #142
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This will take a lot longer. You have to remove the cabin microfilter housing, the air intake, left charge pipe, at least disconnect the throttle body, and remove the intake manifold to get to one bolt of the oil filter housing. (I know because I'm in the middle of trying it. I'm stuck on the charge pipe.)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 05:47 AM   #143
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
Former_Boosted_IS: I was wondering if you possibly checked that the thermostat in this kit allows oil to flow to the oil cooler when the oil is cold. If not then I'm afraid I'm definitely not going to use it. (I have one...)

I believe the original thermostat allows oil to flow BOTH directly to the other side of the thermostat housing and through the oil cooler line. When hot, the thermostat closes and only allows oil through the oil cooler line.

If it does not, then what you are doing is giving your engine a shot of cold oil, (ie. on a cold day,) once that thermostat does open and allows oil to flow through the oil cooler!!! I don't think this is a good thing...
the thermostat closes the way for the oil to go through the oil cooler. thats the point. When the oil reaches the temp than it will open it and oil will flow through the oil cooler lines.
What you are describing is basically how the thermostat DELETE works.
The OEM one will flow oil both back in the engine and oil cooler when its open.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #144
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
the thermostat closes the way for the oil to go through the oil cooler. thats the point. When the oil reaches the temp than it will open it and oil will flow through the oil cooler lines.
What you are describing is basically how the thermostat DELETE works.
The OEM one will flow oil both back in the engine and oil cooler when its open.
There's a difference. Oil flowing through both allows the engine to warm up safely. The oil through the oil cooler is allowed to warm up with the engine with my theory... Open/Close is relative. Sorry if I messed that part up. It can close to allow oil through, or open to allow oil through. My point is that when the engine is cold the oil is allowed both through the bypass and through the oil cooler line. Since it passes through the least resistance, the oil mainly flows through the bypass and the engine warms up quicker. Then when it closes, the oil is only allowed through the oil cooler line for maximum cooling. I think your description is opposite.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #145
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:

The way this is set up is that the oil goes through the lines toward the thermostat all the time. When the thermostat is closed, the oil is simply circulated back through the engine (because the thermostat is closed) and the oil never gets to the oil cooler. When the thermostat opens, the oil is now pushed through the oil cooler before entering back into the engine.

This is the identical way the stock oil cooler works. Notice the picture of the stock thermostat housing below. It blocks off the path completely to the oil cooler when the thermostat is closed.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #146
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The way this is set up is that the oil goes through the lines toward the thermostat all the time. When the thermostat is closed, the oil is simply circulated back through the engine (because the thermostat is closed) and the oil never gets to the oil cooler. When the thermostat opens, the oil is now pushed through the oil cooler before entering back into the engine.

This is the identical way the stock oil cooler works. Notice the picture of the stock thermostat housing below. It blocks off the path completely to the oil cooler when the thermostat is closed.

I have one, I'm going to try dropping some oil in one side and see what happens. I believe it will come out the other side cold...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #147
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have one, I'm going to try dropping some oil in one side and see what happens. I believe it will come out the other side cold...
This is how all coolers work with a thermostat. Radiator, oil cooler, etc. All other car platforms that add oil coolers use the same thermostat concept as STETT. This method is used on all cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 06:13 AM   #148
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

Quote:
This is how all coolers work with a thermostat. Radiator, oil cooler, etc. All other car platforms that add oil coolers use the same thermostat concept as STETT. This method is used on all cars.
great write up, i'm not sure if its mentioned here cuz i didnt read all the replies, but that bracket you removed that interfered with the oil cooler bracket is the support for the headlight so it doesnt crack tabs, you may want to try to make a bracket to work with the oil cooler brackets so your passenger headlight doesnt crack the tabs
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 06:16 AM   #149
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@AKMotorwerk View Post
great write up, i'm not sure if its mentioned here cuz i didnt read all the replies, but that bracket you removed that interfered with the oil cooler bracket is the support for the headlight so it doesnt crack tabs, you may want to try to make a bracket to work with the oil cooler brackets so your passenger headlight doesnt crack the tabs
Honestly, I think the 4 other bolts will hold the headlight frame pretty well. I check the rigidity before removing it. Just an FYI, it is not on all E9x cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #150
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

Quote:
Honestly, I think the 4 other bolts will hold the headlight frame pretty well. I check the rigidity before removing it. Just an FYI, it is not on all E9x cars.
it was added to 08 and up cars because the 07 coupes were cracking tabs ALOT. you will probably be fine, but i figured i'd mention it in case anyone follows the diy and plans to remove that bracket and later down the road wonder why their tabs are cracked
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #151
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@AKMotorwerk View Post
it was added to 08 and up cars because the 07 coupes were cracking tabs ALOT. you will probably be fine, but i figured i'd mention it in case anyone follows the diy and plans to remove that bracket and later down the road wonder why their tabs are cracked
A zip tie across the tab or just a small metal back strap can probably accomplish the same support if you want to fab it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 05:42 AM   #152
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, I'm not sure I like the idea of getting a shot of cold oil all of a sudden, but I think you are right. Thank you very much for the explanation, and write-up!!!

Unfortunately the Dinan oil cooler also seems to require removal of this headlight bracket if anyone is considering that route. (I don't have the VK one to be able to tell on that one...)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 04:12 AM   #153
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anyone following this as a DIY:

I just left the horns on the crash bar, disconnecting the electrical connector. I haven't put everything back yet but it seems to be okay to do this. The bar comes out just fine with the horns left on it.

When you drill out the rivets, go straight to the 3/16th inch bit. I tried from very small increasing the size incrementally, and the rivet started spinning with the bit, (I think one size before 3/16th)! It became very hard to drill out, and after finally reaching 3/16th and a lot of time, the head finally came off.

Someone asked: The Dinan cooler uses the original mount, but if you don't have the stock oil cooler you will have to take off the crash bar to attach this mount.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #154
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

Great DIY. Does anyone have a DIY for replacing the factory oil filter housing? My car did not come with an oil cooler and I've been searching for days trying to find instructions on replacing the no-cooler housing with the housing that can accommodate the thermostat or the STETT delete place to add a cooler.
TIA
Appreciate 0