E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > mjr's Space Grey E92 335i thread

12-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Makes me wanna get an exact copy of ur car lol! Love it mate and welcome along !
      12-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #24
skins83
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

Very nice motor mate, cracking colour combo and love the wheels too there defo my favourite BMW wheel
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #25
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

MJR - you have a truly stunning looking car !!

I don't think I've seen an E92 that's caught my eye so readily

Kudos to you
      12-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #26
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Awesome looking interior MJR, the inlays re something else cannot ever remember seeing them before and to me they quite simply look the nuts and to cap it all off you've got a nice bit if red to seal the deal....I'd of died for an interior like that.

Oh and the outsides rather smart too... Stunning looking car...welcome along.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #27
mjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Here’s some of the latest pictures of my car - with the winter wheels fitted too…

Couple of updates:

DME Software Update
I had the cars software updated last week at BMW… I was dubious at first due to a few stories on the internet of it ruining the car, making the sport mode ‘softer’, dulling the throttle response and making the exhaust quieter. From what I read though, BMW sorted this with another software release (apart from the minor exhaust changes) around July time this year. So I decided to take the plunge and get the software updated..

It’s safe to say it has transformed the car. Having driven the car for a good few days over 500 miles, here are my thoughts:
• Exhaust Noise – it’s true what people have said, the exhaust is definitely quieter at times. On cold starts, the revs don’t go up as high as before, the revs settle quicker and it’s significantly quieter. The car would backfire loudly when it was warm and you blipped the throttle in Neutral – it still does this but not as loudly. The exhaust would also burble, when de-accelerating from 10mph in first gear, again, it still does this but not as loudly. The engine bay also seems quieter – not sure if the software has tweaked the vanos?
• DCT (Sport Mode) – in a word, savage! It shifts much more aggressively when you are nailing it, but the shifts are smoother and less jerky when you accelerate more gently. Throttle response has definitely improved – it is breath taking! I've REALLY enjoyed using this since the update
• DCT (D-Mode) – pulling away is now much smoother when pootling around and so are gear changes. There is also next to no lag when you coast to a junction and pull away before fully stopping. Throttle response remains unchanged.
• CIC Nav – Night-mode now works on both screens and 7 digit postcodes now work with my 2013 Nav update. I now have an MOT box on the service items menu. Finally, I have a little icon telling me how many songs are in the album/ playlist when streaming music via Bluetooth. Apart from that, not much else has changed that I’ve noticed.

Squeaks and Creaks
The front suspension was starting to creak over speed bumps after heavy rain – front anti roll bar (with bushes) and bump stops are being replaced next Friday to hopefully rectify this.
The driver’s seat base plastic was moving against its own plastic parts and against the leather, causing an annoying creaking noise – this is scheduled to be fixed with a new plastic seat base surround and some felt around the joins.

General Clean
I gave the car a much need clean as it was filthy both inside and out! The outside was still well protected after the application of Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish, Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection and Autoglym High Definition Carnuba Wax in September. So I just snowfoamed it, gave it a good wash using the two bucket method and applied a coat of Blackfire Midnight Sun Instant Detailer - the instant detailer does a remarkable job of rejuvanting the surface gloss and adding a freshly waxed feel to the paint! Very impressed. The inside was vacummed, the leather was treated to the Swissvax leather care kit and the trim was dressed with Aerospace 303. The engine bay was wiped down and sprayed with Aerospace too!

Lastly, Sytner Coventry who have looked after the car for the last few months have been absolutely fantastic! Honest, helpful and great work by the technicians!

Last edited by mjr; 01-08-2013 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #28
mjr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Awesome looking interior MJR, the inlays re something else cannot ever remember seeing them before and to me they quite simply look the nuts and to cap it all off you've got a nice bit if red to seal the deal....I'd of died for an interior like that.

Oh and the outsides rather smart too... Stunning looking car...welcome along.
Cheers! The interior sold it to me too! The one thing this didn't have that I REALLY wanted was the Harman Kardon sound system - it's a real shame as I had it in my 123, which was superb! I'm looking to buy the Alpine upgrade shortly, which I will hopefully be satisfied with
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #29
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

You mention Bluetooth streaming, I didnt realise any E9x had this. I thought it only came in on the F3x

Does the Bluetooth A2DP audio give you album art or anything extra like that?

Its the one feature I could not live with out now! (I have it it via a Parrot kit, not factory )
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
mjr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPETEZx View Post
You mention Bluetooth streaming, I didnt realise any E9x had this. I thought it only came in on the F3x

Does the Bluetooth A2DP audio give you album art or anything extra like that?

Its the one feature I could not live with out now! (I have it it via a Parrot kit, not factory )
Yeah pretty sure it was made standard in 2010 - possibly 2009, whenever the Combox (S6VCA) was first fitted

Nope no album artwork, just track details and all you can do is change track - so very basic controls off the i-drive. You have to select the album/ playlist off your device.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #31
mjr
Private First Class
Rep

Car having a quick bath before the heavens opened and the roads were covered in salt

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #32
mjr
Private First Class
Rep

I've done quite a few updates this year:

- Alpine upgrade – a must if you have the standard speaker package
- 313M wheel refurb – previous owner painted them shadow chrome. Exel wheels (who use Lepsons) returned them to their factory diamond cut and ferric grey finish.
- Michelin Pilot Supersports all round – Exel wheels supplied and fitted these too at the same time and Camskills supply only price by £36.
- 12mm spacers all round – car now has the perfect stance and the wheels fill out the arches nicely
- BMW Performance Exhaust – The best way to describe it is – “growling and roaring at low revs with howling crescendos at higher revs”. It has a very E46 M3 sound to it, has lots of nice low speed burble and zero drone.
- Sliding armrest retrofit

… and a much needed detail:

I've been wanting to do detail on my car for the last month or so, but the ridiculous amounts of snow that we received at the end of March delayed this somewhat. With a few days off work over Easter, the sun coming out (albeit still very cold!!) and a recently refurbished set of summer wheels back on the car, now felt like the perfect time to give the car some much needed attention.

Again, I decided against using any corrective cutting compound to polish the paint, as the paint is in pretty good condition with little swirl marks or defects. When I was given the Blackfire wax a few weeks ago to try out and having already got the rest of the kit, I couldn’t wait to try and get the well renowned Blackfire Wet Ice Over Fire finish. A good wash and clay, polish with the non-abrasive Blackfire Polish & Blackfire Sealant, an application of Blackfire Midnight Sun Paste Wax and to finish with a coating of Blackfire instant detailer. A range of Auto-finesse products were used also like, Obiltarate, Crystal, Iron out and tyre gloss.

I won’t bore you all with the details, but I did the usual two bucket wash, with a lamb’s wool mitt for the bodywork, microfiber for the wheels and a detailing brush for the shuts, grilles etc. Contamination was removed with a combination of the iron out, obliterate and a clay bar. The polish and sealant was applied using a DA polisher and the wax/ instant detailer was applied by hand. For finishing touches I cleaned all the glass with Crystal, applied Poorboys sealant to the wheels and applied tyre gloss. A new product that I’ve recently acquired is the Nanolex Trim Rejuvenator, which I applied to the diffuser and fog light plastics. This restored the factory satin finish from the horrible aged finish that was seen before.

Having a lovely leather interior that I spend so much time in, I wanted to really treat it! So out came the Swissvax leather cleaning kit which did a superb job at restoring the leather to a factory like matt finish. Interior plastics were treated to Aerospace 303 and the Individual wood trims were treated to Swissvax Wood Polish. Naturally, the usual vacuuming process took place before this and the carpets/ trims were cleaned with Auto Finesse Total

Overall I'm very happy with my work - the true beauty of the metallic paintwork has been brought to life, the lines of the car have never been so prominent and the Blackfire products have given the car a real wet look. A bit of sun really brings the metallic finish to life too with plenty of flake pop!!

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #33
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
Overall I'm very happy with my work - the true beauty of the metallic paintwork has been brought to life, the lines of the car have never been so prominent and the Blackfire products have given the car a real wet look. A bit of sun really brings the metallic finish to life too with plenty of flake pop!!
Looks terrific Fella,great job

I always used Blackfire products,investing in the 'Blackfire wet ice over fire kit', fantastic on black/dark colured cars,and after seeing your work, just as well on grey.

Arguably the best stuff out there.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #34
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Love the interior really nice. Big fan of the trim finishers soooo much better than my boring Ali trim finishers that show dents and scratches oh so easily. Keep up the modding which time allowed I'll also be doing with mine
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #35
Davidlindsey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

beautiful
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #36
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Very clean! And clearly looked after! But it is dying to be modded!

Need to lower that 4x4 stance! Why do bmw do this!!! It clearly is still under warranty, so is this something you would consider after it is up?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #37
mjr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe
Looks terrific Fella,great job

I always used Blackfire products,investing in the 'Blackfire wet ice over fire kit', fantastic on black/dark colured cars,and after seeing your work, just as well on grey.

Arguably the best stuff out there.
Yeah it's crackings stuff and a doddle to apply. What's the durability like of the wax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve
Love the interior really nice. Big fan of the trim finishers soooo much better than my boring Ali trim finishers that show dents and scratches oh so easily. Keep up the modding which time allowed I'll also be doing with mine
Thanks - I do love the wood, but the centre console trim has some very light scratching which can only be seen in bright sunlight. Im half tempted to take it off and do some very light machine polishing on it. But it gets scratched so easily it'll soon go back to normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidlindsey
beautiful
Thank you kind sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h
Very clean! And clearly looked after! But it is dying to be modded!

Need to lower that 4x4 stance! Why do bmw do this!!! It clearly is still under warranty, so is this something you would consider after it is up?
Haha hardly 4x4 stance! I'm more interested in performance over aesthetics to be honest. But I am half tempted with the Birds B3 or Bilstein B12 kit that'll give the car a bit of a drop. Rear cant go any lower though as I have rubbing issues over large bumps/ crests as it is, now that the spacers are fitted.

Remap courtesy of Evolve or DMS is definitely on the cards for next year and I would love something carbon in the engine bay - air intake?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #38
andyrap
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320D M Sport Plus

Love this. Great colour combo and your detailing is superb. Very nice mate.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #39
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

I've got to ask, in what colour did you get the diffuser painted? Was it a DIY job?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #40
mjr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy
I've got to ask, in what colour did you get the diffuser painted? Was it a DIY job?
No idea I'm afraid. It was a colour match for the standard LCI diffuser by my local bodyshop
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #41
mjr
Private First Class
Rep

Next little mod for me  335is air ducts – I'm pretty pleased with the result, it makes the front look wider and the car looks subtlety different now compared to other E92’s

Fitting was pretty straightforward, it’s the first time ive take a bumper off any car but it wasn’t particularly hard. I’ve figured out most of the coding for the fog light delete, apart from the coding that disables the button and light?

Next on the list is a 6FL (USB) retrofit next weekend

Appreciate 0