E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > 2012 Track Events (Québec, Ontario & North East USA)

05-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #133
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Videos to come.

I am so tired this morning. 7 hours of track in two days. With 20 minute briefings after each session.

I couldn't stay after to receive the diploma and my post weekend instructor comments. I hope they will contact me by email.

Last session we did a mock rolling start behind the pace car. It was fun. Full acceleration at the drop of the green flag... Find a way to get in single file. Then after the first curve, half the track was on yellow. And then green again. I was able to keep pace with the four leaders for a few laps, but then my fatigue was too much. So I parked it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #134
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Now my car needs a little body work done. Passenger side fender is bent, headlight is loose, and bumper is scratched. All this happened by someone backing into my car in a driveway. But the car can still go to Tremblant this Friday.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #135
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Videos to come.

I am so tired this morning. 7 hours of track in two days. With 20 minute briefings after each session.

I couldn't stay after to receive the diploma and my post weekend instructor comments. I hope they will contact me by email.

Last session we did a mock rolling start behind the pace car. It was fun. Full acceleration at the drop of the green flag... Find a way to get in single file. Then after the first curve, half the track was on yellow. And then green again. I was able to keep pace with the four leaders for a few laps, but then my fatigue was too much. So I parked it.
Intense Would you recommend such a course for moi?

Quote:
Now my car needs a little body work done. Passenger side fender is bent, headlight is loose, and bumper is scratched. All this happened by someone backing into my car in a driveway. But the car can still go to Tremblant this Friday.
Crap! Hopefully it's not a hit and run!!!
      05-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #136
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Intense Would you recommend such a course for moi?
Yes .. no question about it.

Quote:
Crap! Hopefully it's not a hit and run!!!
No it is not. I will have an evaluation done before contacting insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #137
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Drag to hear. But, nothing that a little bondo and paint cant fix.

I'm all ready for Tremblant. Hope the weather cooperates. So today I embarked on something new. I flushed the gearbox and put in new fluid. Should hold up for a little while. Oddly some old crazy fella, out for a walk, thought I was crushed under my car and wanted to pull me out. Starting tugging on my pant leg. "Mista, mista. You ok!?"
      05-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #138
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
Drag to hear. But, nothing that a little bondo and paint cant fix.

I'm all ready for Tremblant. Hope the weather cooperates. So today I embarked on something new. I flushed the gearbox and put in new fluid. Should hold up for a little while. Oddly some old crazy fella, out for a walk, thought I was crushed under my car and wanted to pull me out. Starting tugging on my pant leg. "Mista, mista. You ok!?"
Funny story.

Glad you will make it this Friday.

BTW I won't need my tires this Friday. Please leave them in your garage. I will pick them up either this Thursday evening or Saturday morning.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #139
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

So I watched my videos.

On Saturday I was lapping 1:31 on short track on a fast lap. I only recorded one session
On Sunday, I recorded 4 sessions out of the 7. My fast laps were 1:27, but most "no traffic" laps were at 1:29 and 1:30.
On the last session (Pace car, mock rolling start... followed by half track yellow, then all green) I was able to do 5 consecutive 1:26 laps.

I am not pleased with myself with my first ever roling start. I should have started in 2nd gear ... I didnt think we would be so slow on the front straight while waiting for the Green to drop. Starting in 3rd was not optimal. I was able to keep my position 6th for a few laps before being passed by a GT3RS.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #140
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Antoine you're rocking it at Calabogie! Those are great times!

Joel, a powerful rear wheel drive is much more difficult and challenging to reach it full potential but also more rewarding.

Anyone can drive an Awd fast but a rear wheel drive requires way more skill.

When I brought my S4 to Tremblant last year I was amazed at how easy and fast it was with all nannies off. I'm sure with a few more track days, better tires and better brakes I can get that nice 2 minute mark at Tremblant that I hit with the M.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #141
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Funny story.

Glad you will make it this Friday.

BTW I won't need my tires this Friday. Please leave them in your garage. I will pick them up either this Thursday evening or Saturday morning.
Ok. Thursday or Saturday then.

Quote:
So I watched my videos.

On Saturday I was lapping 1:31 on short track on a fast lap. I only recorded one session
On Sunday, I recorded 4 sessions out of the 7. My fast laps were 1:27, but most "no traffic" laps were at 1:29 and 1:30.
On the last session (Pace car, mock rolling start... followed by half track yellow, then all green) I was able to do 5 consecutive 1:26 laps.

I am not pleased with myself with my first ever roling start. I should have started in 2nd gear ... I didnt think we would be so slow on the front straight while waiting for the Green to drop. Starting in 3rd was not optimal. I was able to keep my position 6th for a few laps before being passed by a GT3RS.
Consistent times for the first time out this year and all the chaos we had.

My first 2 sessions were fun as I was learning my car dynamics. On my 3rd and 4th session I started to feel a little more comfy behind the wheel and was able to start picking off the cars on the pit straight. I spotted you and was catching up but you pitted early due to brakes I think. No lap timing this time out for me.

The M3 does not feel as fast as the 335, but boy does it carry momentum. I hardly had to brake. Even wear on the tires as well. Antoine, you have to get to a square setup. I hope the pads are wearing more evenly now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
Antoine you're rocking it at Calabogie! Those are great times!

Joel, a powerful rear wheel drive is much more difficult and challenging to reach it full potential but also more rewarding.

Anyone can drive an Awd fast but a rear wheel drive requires way more skill.

When I brought my S4 to Tremblant last year I was amazed at how easy and fast it was with all nannies off. I'm sure with a few more track days, better tires and better brakes I can get that nice 2 minute mark at Tremblant that I hit with the M.
The smile factor on my face is awesome. I cant wait for Friday at LCMT.

Tires my friend will get you your 2 minutes.
      05-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #142
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

A fun day was had by all at LCMT Friday with Viperclub/Bimmershop. I got a chance to work out my car. I do have to say it is sweet. I still have some growing to do. 3 light spin outs with one including Seb in the car. So much for first impressions. I'll need some time on the skid pad to learn drift handling if I'm going improve.

I did manage to beat my previous LCMT best time when I had the 335, so it can only get better.

Seb took me out for a drive with him as the driver - to test out the car. Needless to say it was the coolest scary fun thing I had experienced short of combat experience.

We rounded the crest of turn 2 at 185khm and as soon as the car settled, he was back on the accelerator, just nicking 200Khm before we had to brake for the "S"es.

The next go-a-round, the man was flicking the car around at 140-160Kmh to see how it reacted. Impressive drifting and saw steering corrections at that speed.

An almost perfect day ended on a sour note for one driver. On the last session on the day, with maybe 2 laps before we would be called in, flaggers waved the red flag. A track prepped Lambo, 1 of only 30 or so on the planet, met it's fate on turn 12. The Bridge turn. A common turn that takes out cars mercilessly if you are too hard on the gas before track out.

The car slammed face first into the left side guard rail and looked pretty much a write off. Last session of the day rule: unless racing, never more than 9/10s. Better safe than sorry.
      05-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #143
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Yup great day indeed! Was running in Joel's group, can't keep up with him even if was going 9/10. I liked my progression during the day, and testing the new brakes, they stopped really well, except they seem to eat up the pads like no tomorrow. I figure the Porterfield R4 S are more than 50% used after 7 x 20 min sessions, yikes!

Will need to figure something out, otherwise I will barely make 2-day events with a new set of pads.

Car is well balanced, just can't be that fast in the curves with all the weight it carries. I don't mind it though, to be slow in company of all those fast cars.
At one point I let 2 cars by and hang with them for 5 laps, a Porsche an an S2000.
      05-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #144
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yup great day indeed! Was running in Joel's group, can't keep up with him even if was going 9/10. I liked my progression during the day, and testing the new brakes, they stopped really well, except they seem to eat up the pads like no tomorrow. I figure the Porterfield R4 S are more than 50% used after 7 x 20 min sessions, yikes!

Will need to figure something out, otherwise I will barely make 2-day events with a new set of pads.

Car is well balanced, just can't be that fast in the curves with all the weight it carries. I don't mind it though, to be slow in company of all those fast cars.
At one point I let 2 cars by and hang with them for 5 laps, a Porsche an an S2000.
I had a blast beyond belief. There was just the 911 Turbo and the GT3 RS that I couldnt keep up with. My three spin outs weren't very impressive, but Seb helped dial a little of that out. The other half of the day went flawlessly with that config. We'll do a little bit more tuning next week at Sanair and work on creating and correcting stability drama.

For your brake pads, have you thought of trying another type, say the RB XT series or going with the R4 or R41? That may help out.
      05-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #145
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I had a blast beyond belief. There was just the 911 Turbo and the GT3 RS that I couldnt keep up with. My three spin outs weren't very impressive, but Seb helped dial a little of that out. The other half of the day went flawlessly with that config. We'll do a little bit more tuning next week at Sanair and work on creating and correcting stability drama.

For your brake pads, have you thought of trying another type, say the RB XT series or going with the R4 or R41? That may help out.
I am reading on other pads, PF 97 or 08 seems like they would be good candidates, don't know how much though.

The Porterfield R4S have a good price though 225$ for all corners. The R4 is track only and would require changing track side!

There's Hawk DTC 70/60 track only, Carbotech xp16/xp14

The RB XT 960 or XT970 sounds interesting as well!

It goes on and on, very hard to pick LOL!

Last edited by kenneth; 05-13-2012 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #146
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
A fun day was had by all at LCMT Friday with Viperclub/Bimmershop. I got a chance to work out my car. I do have to say it is sweet. I still have some growing to do. 3 light spin outs with one including Seb in the car. So much for first impressions. I'll need some time on the skid pad to learn drift handling if I'm going improve.

I did manage to beat my previous LCMT best time when I had the 335, so it can only get better.

Seb took me out for a drive with him as the driver - to test out the car. Needless to say it was the coolest scary fun thing I had experienced short of combat experience.

We rounded the crest of turn 2 at 185khm and as soon as the car settled, he was back on the accelerator, just nicking 200Khm before we had to brake for the "S"es.

The next go-a-round, the man was flicking the car around at 140-160Kmh to see how it reacted. Impressive drifting and saw steering corrections at that speed.

An almost perfect day ended on a sour note for one driver. On the last session on the day, with maybe 2 laps before we would be called in, flaggers waved the red flag. A track prepped Lambo, 1 of only 30 or so on the planet, met it's fate on turn 12. The Bridge turn. A common turn that takes out cars mercilessly if you are too hard on the gas before track out.

The car slammed face first into the left side guard rail and looked pretty much a write off. Last session of the day rule: unless racing, never more than 9/10s. Better safe than sorry.
Quote:

Quote:

Great write up guys. I am sad I had to miss it. Progression, progression, progression.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #147
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Joel, be careful at Sanair! The only place there is runoff is at the end of the drag strip, everywhere else there's concrete....

Quote:
Great write up guys. I am sad I had to miss it. Progression, progression, progression.
We surely missed you! Are you going to the June BMW Qc LCMT event?
      05-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #148
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I am thinking of going to Mosport the 1st to the 3rd of June.
I won't make it for June BMWQc LCMT since I will be on a trip.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #149
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I am thinking of going to Mosport the 1st to the 3rd of June.
I won't make it for June BMWQc LCMT since I will be on a trip.
How about the August Monday-Tuesday LCMT BMW QC event?
      05-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #150
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Joel, be careful at Sanair! The only place there is runoff is at the end of the drag strip, everywhere else there's concrete....

Thanks for the tip. That's the only place to tinker safely. I Would have loved a left turn as well. I'm looking at signing up for a drift course that takes place at icar next week to get a little more car control time under my belt. This obsession is so consuming.
      05-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #151
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy

Damn that's crazy!

Too bad you don't have a V-Box or other lap timer!

Did you at least have a gopro video of that run with Seb going that fast? I would love to see it! 185 over the crest and 200 before the S's is sick sick sick!

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #152
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
Damn that's crazy!

Too bad you don't have a V-Box or other lap timer!

Did you at least have a gopro video of that run with Seb going that fast? I would love to see it! 185 over the crest and 200 before the S's is sick sick sick!
Yup. Sick is a good word. I did time him from the tower when he took my car out with another instructor. 1'52s" during the instructor session. Which included traffic, passing and passenger. He gained 6 positions and was only passed by Caterham (800kg, 300hp).

I was having fun before ... but now I'm really enjoying this.

Harry's lap timer graced me with a 1'59". Room to grow . I know I have 3 seconds out there.
      05-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #153
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

I was going over some of the photos that Pierre Goyette took at LCMT He got a few nice ones - Small little wheely out of the "S"es.
Attached Images

05-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #154
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy
I was going over some of the photos that Pierre Goyette took at LCMT He got a few nice ones - Small little wheely out of the "S"es.
What an awesome pic with a wheel in the air!

Harry's Laptimer has had some good upgrades like continuous video as opposed to every second lap.

What cradle you using?

By the way my M3 was stolen about 1 month ago. I got the insurance adjuster letting me know the settlement yesterday so I went an ordered a new M3 today.

Space Grey/Fox red full full load including competition package (billy is trying to get me the black rims) and DCT! Can't wait to get it sometime in July.

Still have my Volks (had my stock with re11's on to save tread on my NT05's for track). Ordering an AA exhaust but that's it for now. No tune and no xpipe

Appreciate 0