E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Is an oily mess normal under the cover? :)

08-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Is an oily mess normal under the cover? :)

At 50K on my 2011 and I pulled the acoustic cover off yesterday to take a peak. I wanted to pull the intake pipe of to see how the EGR and such looked in terms of soot, and treat with Liqui Moly (thread from last week).

I noticed some things that need fixing I believe, curious if others have seen it. My searching has not popped up too much.

First what appear to be part of the oil supply line is weeping oil a bit, and there may be some more going on. Item 2 in this pic:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1400824290

That looks strait forward to me: oil is supposed to be on the inside not the outside.

The intake/charge pipe is what I am more curious about: this thing was filthy. From the top of all the way down the back side it was caked it black goo. I am not sure if this is 'normal' for an diesel or not: my first time hence I am asking the group. Its block 15 in this pic:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=11&fg=40&hl=1

BMW certainly attaches this pipe in a very weak way IMHO: just a clip. Huh? I have experience with gas turbos and my WRX is clamped nice and tight, my old FM2 miata (which I maintained myself) taught me the value of good hose clamps on pressurized intake parts

Having oil/fuel int the intake track like that to me would only make sense if its coming from the EGR, but why weap backwards. If its coming from the intake itself, that is the turbo side I would think as well. In either case I would not expect that much oil residue (which is what it seems to be to me, though I am not 100% sure either .

Car is going in for annual inspection and I will have them take a look at the one leak but also wanted to be armed with any intelligent things to ask about the charge side. I cleaned up some of the pipe with a rag and now regret that: should have left it first.

5K left on my BMW warranty, then an extended kicks in so not a bad time for this to show up, though convincing people its broken is part of the challenge.

Thanks for the time

- b
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanlieu View Post

Having oil/fuel int the intake track like that to me would only make sense if its coming from the EGR, but why weap backwards. If its coming from the intake itself, that is the turbo side I would think as well. In either case I would not expect that much oil residue (which is what it seems to be to me, though I am not 100% sure either .
It's not going backwards. All that mess is coming from the crankcase ventilation system.

See here.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=965053
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Seems you are not the only one.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=792310
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Thanks for the links, interesting. Reminds me a bit of PCV issues I have had in the past. I have seen the catch can threads but didn't dive into them too much yet. Sure is tight in there. Ooof.

The Bimmerfest link sounds right: certainly the same small pipe with a snap/crimp fitting leading to a line.

- b
Appreciate 0