E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Stage 3 in retrospect

03-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #23
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

As long as you realize that something goes wrong you are as good as warrantyless if you believe piggys are too. In other words, putting anything on Dinan, might as well go whole hog and do what you gotta do and eat the whole pig pan intended.

Dinan's value proposition is the warranty. Small piggy or whole hog = same risk. Why bother, just get the whole tune. You risk the same consequences even if you don't. If you think they can detect a piggy, and are scared of that, do you really believe Dinan will have the effect of hiding piglet or piggy JR?
      04-01-2009, 07:18 AM   #24
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Regarding the Dinan tune...

I'll echo the same ... everybody always wants more. Though I'm happy/content with my Stage 2.

Just so you know you can bring your car back to the dealer and he can erase the Dinan tune and then you would be free to add any piggy later. At one time (shiv correct me if im wrong) Shiv offered a very competitive rate (and may still do so) for current owners of other tunes.

Ultimately downpipes and intake will provide added performance and can be utilized if you switch tunes. I'd recommend doing those and if it's not fast enough then look at the piggy.

And btw I hear you , I live 3 miles from work and put 6k on a year. My warranty is crap = I'll have 24k miles at 4 years.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #25
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
Regarding the Dinan tune...

I'll echo the same ... everybody always wants more. Though I'm happy/content with my Stage 2.

Just so you know you can bring your car back to the dealer and he can erase the Dinan tune and then you would be free to add any piggy later. At one time (shiv correct me if im wrong) Shiv offered a very competitive rate (and may still do so) for current owners of other tunes.

Ultimately downpipes and intake will provide added performance and can be utilized if you switch tunes. I'd recommend doing those and if it's not fast enough then look at the piggy.

And btw I hear you , I live 3 miles from work and put 6k on a year. My warranty is crap = I'll have 24k miles at 4 years.

ppp
Hey pants, living 3 miles from work is great. But you could always move to PA so your warranty would mean something. I live like 4 miles away now and its sweet! Huge change for me, a guy who usually did 40K a year. I am so used to driving sometimes I just get in the car and drive 20 miles for nothing. But I love I don't have to drive if I dont want to. I am from NJ too and I moved here its a relief from nasty long commutes. I once lived in North Jersey and had a gig in Connecticut. That was just murderous.
      04-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #26
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

I think it's been proven by all the tuners that stacking tunes is not the preferred way/ Also I wonder what Dinan would say if a stacked tune thru a code that was in the RPM area or parameters that Dinan definitely does not manipulate. Warranty denied from Dinan maybe. You are getting in the area and the reason everyone goes with Dinan, warranty and perceived safety of the tune. Why would you do that, it can only cause issues. IMO only.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #27
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by getInline View Post
To the OP, you have a great tune....be happy with it and please don't start stacking tunes, that's just crazy.
+1. DINAN has its merits just like any other tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #28
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by getInline View Post
To the OP, you have a great tune....be happy with it and please don't start stacking tunes, that's just crazy.
IMO, what people don't seem to realize is that the Dinan flash offers a better base to start tuning with more aggressive boost levels, great throttle response + bottom end, no speed limiter and various safety features like increased water pump flow, and the dreaded boost taper control, etc.. and stacking a piggy on top of a flash is very different than stacking piggys together.. the Dinan software is not tricking the ECU, it safely reprograms the ECU entirely without fear of manipulation codes and limps.. and a piggy + Dinan flash will only trick the now Dinan ECU by adding more boost, so I don't think that's crazy, however obviously there are more risks associated with more boost, but the boost levels are no higher than what the piggy's are pushing.. my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #29
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

I agree with some of the above Being stacked is great for pancakes, poker and Parton - but for piggies and flashes, not so much.
      07-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #30
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

I just read some of these old comments. I didn't mean to stack the tunes. I was going to get rid of the Dinan tune and go with something else down the road when I decide to upgrade turbos and need a tune for the new snails. As an update I am still running the same setup and taking it easy. It is so hot in Vegas now I don't even like driving my Bimmer in the day anyway. If it sits in the sun for longer than an hour it is F'n Hot! The major point I was making is when you don't drive your car that much (12,000/year) than the warranty doesn't do as much for you.
      07-21-2009, 06:21 AM   #31
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
I just read some of these old comments. I didn't mean to stack the tunes. I was going to get rid of the Dinan tune and go with something else down the road when I decide to upgrade turbos and need a tune for the new snails. As an update I am still running the same setup and taking it easy. It is so hot in Vegas now I don't even like driving my Bimmer in the day anyway. If it sits in the sun for longer than an hour it is F'n Hot! The major point I was making is when you don't drive your car that much (12,000/year) than the warranty doesn't do as much for you.

I'm there with ya brother. sucks big time loosing all the warranty coverage for the remainder... not to mention all of the warranty extensions from bmw is only 2 years at 100k... which is worthless for us.

enjoy what you got and i did read some posts referencing turbo upgrades from dinan (just fyi). so run this tune for a year or so (till your warranty runs out) and then do the dinan upgrade for the snails (hopefully it wont be 15k) and you'll get the 2 yr extended warranty.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #32
stealth-twntrbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 740xi

Stacking tunes sounds to me like asking for disaster, get one tune and stick to it. And ive also read about the guy with the dinan tune stacked with a JB+ having problems. But the point is DON'T say that stacking a JB+ and dinan works great unless you have data and logs to prove this claim.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #33
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

I never brought up the stacking. That was for some others. I wouldn't do that considering the risk involved. I am also considering just getting a new car to tune and mod that is a cheaper used car. I have looked at some Audi B5 S4 cars, A NSX(I know it isn't cheap to mod but it looks great) and a vette. I almost got a really good deal on a 07 C6 vette but I just didn't enjoy it enough. The inside of the car felt like an old 90's camaro. I didn't dig the steering feel at all. BMW has spoiled me on that end.