E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread (#4)

11-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #551
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL Bimmer View Post
LooooL!!! You might but by the time you do that, I'll be 2k post more than you hahaha... I use to post whore but not anymore
Not that you seem to have lost practice, like riding a bike right?
      11-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #552
vanosracing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
I also do not understand the need to code for a battery. I find it quite ridiculous, as if they are inventing ways to make us become completely dependent on the dealership, LOL! The lack of an oil gauge is one blatant attempt at making us become completely useless.

Why in this day and age it's more expensive to change something as basic as a battery is beyond me, we need to revolt and claim back our intelligence
I can't speak for the 3 Series (E90's) but when I changed my battery last year on the 5 the indy programmed the new battery it to the iDrive system. I was told that with the electronics the alternator doesn't always run, the system monitors the battery charge and the alternator kicks in electronically. Also, people have complained of electronics issues or the battery life being shorter if not programmed. You would be amazed how much data modern BMW's store.

When I changed my battery I took the opportunity to drop-in a 7 Series AGM battery for that extra charge. Last thing you want on modern day bimmers is to lose charge.

What is even more frustrating in modern bimmers is the non presence of the dip stick. You can't even check your oil level anymore and have to rely on the iDrive system.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #553
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanosracing View Post
I can't speak for the 3 Series (E90's) but when I changed my battery last year on the 5 the indy programmed the new battery it to the iDrive system. I was told that with the electronics the alternator doesn't always run, the system monitors the battery charge and the alternator kicks in electronically. Also, people have complained of electronics issues or the battery life being shorter if not programmed. You would be amazed how much data modern BMW's store.

When I changed my battery I took the opportunity to drop-in a 7 Series AGM battery for that extra charge. Last thing you want on modern day bimmers is to lose charge.

What is even more frustrating in modern bimmers is the non presence of the dip stick. You can't even check your oil level anymore and have to rely on the iDrive system.
It's okay to try to better things, which in this case seems to be only to charge the battery when really needed, instead of continually charge it even if full. Progress is good, but over complicating the process is not progress. Instead of requiring manual coding, everything should be allowed to work seamlessly without intervention (coding).
      11-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #554
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
bro fahad go to the track 2x and u wont give a fuck what ur car sounds like...trust me

and as for gofast mods...trust the crowd and keep it where its at. if anything i would track with the 328 first...the track is daunting as fuck 1st time u go.

lol im doing tremblant with traction on (well, dsc)...can i turn it off? probably, but still terrified. won't be changing to Rcomps anytime soon. max out the skill...then get the mods. only reason i got my brakes is cuz i melted my stock ones
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #555
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Fahad if you're looking for more power and sound youd be better off with some track pipes, much cheaper than x pipe and give more power(and sound).
500$ http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...k-pipes-e9x-m3

IMO: I would just swap the existing axle back for a slightly louder one to suit your taste. Just beware, the gt2 is insanely loud, Ive ridden in an m3 with the gt2(titanium) exhaust..to much drone, get the regular gt.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #556
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:

what is involved in 'programming' the new battery? did you ask your indy shop? or did you see them do it?

because i didnt do it on my 911 when i changed the battery and it seems to be doing just fine so far. of course its only been a few days since i did the change.

i have asked the mechanic that does the basic maintenance on my cars and he has never heard of programming the battery. is this unique to BMWs?

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #557
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
bro fahad go to the track 2x and u wont give a fuck what ur car sounds like...trust me

and as for gofast mods...trust the crowd and keep it where its at. if anything i would track with the 328 first...the track is daunting as fuck 1st time u go.

lol im doing tremblant with traction on (well, dsc)...can i turn it off? probably, but still terrified. won't be changing to Rcomps anytime soon. max out the skill...then get the mods. only reason i got my brakes is cuz i melted my stock ones
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
what is involved in 'programming' the new battery? did you ask your indy shop? or did you see them do it?

because i didnt do it on my 911 when i changed the battery and it seems to be doing just fine so far. of course its only been a few days since i did the change.

i have asked the mechanic that does the basic maintenance on my cars and he has never heard of programming the battery. is this unique to BMWs?
So apparently the system has to be "taught" about the battery. I'm repeating some marketing bs here, so I don't know how true this is, but I remember Following some threads and the consensus was you should do it for scary valid reasons.
      11-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #558
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Yup.

So apparently the system has to be "taught" about the battery. I'm repeating some marketing bs here, so I don't know how true this is, but I remember Following some threads and the consensus was you should do it for scary valid reasons.
yea but i am wondering if these potentially hazardous issues can actually occur or if the dealers are just scaring customers into thinking that the battery would blow up if they dont do this?

i mean has anyone actually tried replacing their battery and documented a failure because they did not re-program their battery?

i would think that the system cant be so failure prone because if it is, wont this be a major liability issue? i am sure there are tons of people out there with regular 1,3 or 5 series that are already out of warranty and just go to a plain old indy shop or canadian tire, etc to replace the battery. i am sure canadian tire doesnt have the 'speciality' tool needed to reset BMWs.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #559
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Yup.

Quote:
yea but i am wondering if these potentially hazardous issues can actually occur or if the dealers are just scaring customers into thinking that the battery would blow up if they dont do this?

i mean has anyone actually tried replacing their battery and documented a failure because they did not re-program their battery?

i would think that the system cant be so failure prone because if it is, wont this be a major liability issue? i am sure there are tons of people out there with regular 1,3 or 5 series that are already out of warranty and just go to a plain old indy shop or canadian tire, etc to replace the battery. i am sure canadian tire doesnt have the 'speciality' tool needed to reset BMWs.
Every which way you look at this coding thing, it is simply dumb/stupid if indeed it is required. Injectors perhaps (even then) but batteries?
      11-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #560
vanosracing
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Not sure about the 911, sorry. You may want to check on forums such as rennsport, pelicanparts or pca. You can also ask Harnold (German dude) at Port Plus in Lachine.

For BMW's yes, unfortunately you need to register the battery to the iDrive system. On my 5 series it is recommended to maintain proper functioning of the electronics. There are so many modules and sensors on modern BMW's that if the battery dies you could be in trouble. I don't know about the 3 series but I suspect it is the same. Mine was programmed at BM Exlusive by Julien, I call him the wizz kid. He handles the electronics and CPU updates on the cars.

I have to bring in my 5 for servicing at BMW because the valve lifters are clacking...another hydraulic thing to take care of but it should be under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #561
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

this is for Ken...

new cayman just revealed!

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #562
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not sure about the 911, sorry. You may want to check on forums such as rennsport, pelicanparts or pca. You can also ask Harnold (German dude) at Port Plus in Lachine.

For BMW's yes, unfortunately you need to register the battery to the iDrive system. On my 5 series it is recommended to maintain proper functioning of the electronics. There are so many modules and sensors on modern BMW's that if the battery dies you could be in trouble. I don't know about the 3 series but I suspect it is the same. Mine was programmed at BM Exlusive by Julien, I call him the wizz kid. He handles the electronics and CPU updates on the cars.

I have to bring in my 5 for servicing at BMW because the valve lifters are clacking...another hydraulic thing to take care of but it should be under warranty.
its definitely a cash grab from BMW imo.... i mean if other manufacturers can build cars that can take a new battery easily, i dont see why BMW cant do this or at least make the reset procedure available to the end user by putting it into the regular idrive menu. its frustrating to see newer cars being built this way.

how much mileage do you have on the 5? seems a little early to have valve issues.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #563
vanosracing
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
its definitely a cash grab from BMW imo.... i mean if other manufacturers can build cars that can take a new battery easily, i dont see why BMW cant do this or at least make the reset procedure available to the end user by putting it into the regular idrive menu. its frustrating to see newer cars being built this way.

how much mileage do you have on the 5? seems a little early to have valve issues.
You can buy the software and necessary tool for the updates and programming at home. I have just over 78,000km but you clearly hear the valve lifters. Happens on colder and humid days. My driving distance is short and this causes the issue. I will probably need the improved parts fully implemented by Nov.2008.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #564
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
this is for Ken...

new cayman just revealed!

Thank you Chris, they are beauties aren't they? Even nicer looking than the previous model, which was not bad looking to start with.

Like!

Chris, you can still sell the GT3 RS for this!
      11-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #565
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you Chris, they are beauties aren't they? Even nicer looking than the previous model, which was not bad looking to start with.

Like!

Chris, you can still sell the GT3 RS for this!
hahah maybe in a couple of years... i am still having a ton of fun in the RS. there is much to learn before i can master that arse-engine car.

the new cayman might just be the car for you though! the key to keeping a p-car affordable is to go light on the options. porsche's options are limitless and each one usually costs a pretty penny. if you stay away from the options, the base prices are usually pretty acceptable. likely not too far away from what you paid for your 335.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #566
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You can buy the software and necessary tool for the updates and programming at home. I have just over 78,000km but you clearly hear the valve lifters. Happens on colder and humid days. My driving distance is short and this causes the issue. I will probably need the improved parts fully implemented by Nov.2008.
i am assuming you have extended warranty or your car was CPO? i always thought lifters would become more of a problem with higher mileage cars. definitely a costly repair if you dont have warranty.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #567
vanosracing
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
i am assuming you have extended warranty or your car was CPO? i always thought lifters would become more of a problem with higher mileage cars. definitely a costly repair if you dont have warranty.
I have a few months left on CPO and want to take advantage of it.

The new Cayman looks really good...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #568
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I have a few months left on CPO and want to take advantage of it.

The new Cayman looks really good...
Just north of 2900 lbs apparently due to 44% aluminum in weight.
      11-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #569
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just north of 2900 lbs apparently due to 44% aluminum in weight.
that sounds nice and light.... my gt3 is heavier than that...

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #570
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
that sounds nice and light.... my gt3 is heavier than that...
of course, lighter means requiring less power, uses less brakes and goes through twisties faster Time to change Chris. Come on do it and you'll even have spare cash

Then sell it to me for cheap in 2-3 years! Deal?
      11-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #571
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Holy smokes. More forum action in 2 days than in the last 6 months. Lots of reading.

Cayman - Beautiful. Hope to convince my better half to get one.
Mufflers - Who are we to argue. Enjoy.
5er Lifters - That sucks. My N54 had similar issues. Another good reason to have ditched it.
BMW Battery programming - Urban legend. Its the old "I know a guy who knew a guy ..."

How did Montrealers fair today on the slippery roads this eve? City drop salt?
      11-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #572
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
of course, lighter means requiring less power, uses less brakes and goes through twisties faster Time to change Chris. Come on do it and you'll even have spare cash

Then sell it to me for cheap in 2-3 years! Deal?
Ken, I cant begin to tell you how much less braking you do when your 800lb less heavy and better balanced. I still have over 60% of my front pads left after 20+ track days. Hats off to Performance Friction. I would have gone through my standard 5 sets of pads and 2 rotors on my 335.