E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > HELP! Best Aftermarket shockers for E93 335i

08-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
e36mmm
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

HELP! Best Aftermarket shockers for E93 335i

Hi fellas,

I'm running B&G S2 springs on my e93 335i. Lowering is 1.6 inch (40.64mm) for the front and 1.4 inch (35.56 mm) for the rear. I've had the springs on the car for only 4000 kms. Running them on OEM shocks. The standard shocks absorb the shock of going over train tracks at 25 30 kmh example very well but that OEM feel of shock absorbing is 20% less evident and theres a little bit more noise. I guess it's because there is a gap now between the oem shock and the aftermarket springs. I want that noise or punch feel gone and want that OEM smooth shock absorber feel again when I'm driving on harsh roads. On smooth roads, you can not even tell that the car is riding on aftermarket springs. It feels and drives like OEM but only better and very smooth. A lot of positives but the only negative is the long term damage to the OEM shock absorbers. A lot of my people like the smoothness of the ride already and think that the B&G S2s go very well with the standard shocks but I beg to differ for the long run and durability of the OEM shockers.

I'm very fussy when it comes to cars. I thought it was time to upgrade the standard shocks for something aftermarket to maintain the smooth ride and eliminate the gap between the top of the spring and standard shocks. I believe if i keep on running these springs on OEM shocks, the shocks will wear out quicker than normal. Duh!! lol

I don't track the car. I only drive it on weekends and always avoid potholes 24/7. Mostly drive on smooth roads so I'm sure the OEM shocks are fine but I feel like I need to upgrade them to suit the aftermarket springs. I'm running RFTs on OEM 225M 19s with standard fitment which is 225s/35 on front and 255s/30 on the rear.

My initial thought of options were Koni FSDs and Koni Yellows because I couldn't find anything else when researching. However I have ruled out FSD's for a few reasons. What other options do I have apart from Konis? I'm confused.

After doing a little research and reviewing feedback from forums and so forth, It has taken my attention that Koni FSD's durability is terrible for aftermarket lowering springs and that they work best with for OEM springs. So I have ruled out Koni FSDs as Im already running aftermarket lowering springs.

I read somewhere that Koni Yellows are a good, solid and durable option however doing a little research on Koni Yellows, it is being said that if the car is lowered more than 35mm for front and rear, they are not recommended. Not sure why and how it effects the ride. The koni yellows recommendation suits the rear which is a little over 35 mm but the fronts are off by 5mm at 40mm drop. So im baffled because I don't know which aftermarket shockers to buy.

Should I ignore it all and see where my luck takes me by ordering the Koni Yellows to go with the B&G S2 springs? OR should I opt for a different brand aftermarket shockers. Can anyone advise me on what aftermarket shocker options I have to suit B&G S2? I don't want to ruin the car's suspension by installing shockers that are not suitable for my car and B&Gs. Suspension Guru's please help me out on some advice as to what I should do and what other aftermarket shockers there are that will suit my need. By the way I live in Australia and aftermarket goodies are limited here so I need to probably order it online and pay postage so my budget is about $1000 max.

Kind Regards and thanks in advance.

Last edited by e36mmm; 08-20-2012 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 FBO

Many run konis with h&r which go lower so you should not have any issues
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
e36mmm
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Which hr are you referring to? Sport or race? As I remember b&gs are lower than hr sport but higher than hr race. Still think I'll be okay?
Appreciate 0