E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Do I really need a sub?

09-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Do I really need a sub?

I recently have started to upgrade my hifi audio system. Have added a JL Audio 900 amp. Still running the stock speakers for now. Wil be replacing the front components with Morel's shortly. Have added a sub in the truck but it takes up space in an otherwise already small trunk.

Can I upgrade the underseats "subs" to a better speaker such as Earthquakes or some other recommended brand and then get rid of the sub in the trunk or will I miss the low base? Can I upgrade the rear speakers to bring out more base as well?

Alternatively, I could look to get a different box set up I guess. At present, I have a JL Audio 10" W3v3 sub. What is the best box and setup for our sedan trunks.

Need some input here.....

Thanks,

D
      09-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Depends on how much of a bass head you are.

I have Jehnerts in the floors only and that the system seems a little bass heavy to me , but I am an old geezer who still likes music from the late 60's to 70's . I sat in car that had SWS's under the seats and there is enough sound coming from them to vibrate the seats. The new German Masetro's are suppose to be the best of SWS and Jehnerts according to the people on here that have installed them.
In any case you should upgrade the speakers in the cabin as they will always make
more difference than a sub in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I have Jehnerts in the floors only and that the system seems a little bass heavy to me , but I am an old geezer who still likes music from the late 60's to 70's . I sat in car that had SWS's under the seats and there is enough sound coming from them to vibrate the seats. The new German Masetro's are suppose to be the best of SWS and Jehnerts according to the people on here that have installed them.
In any case you should upgrade the speakers in the cabin as they will always make
more difference than a sub in the trunk.
I appreciate the input. That is what I am thinking. Go with Morel Hybrid's for front component's. A really solid sub upgrade under the seats and possibly even upgrade the rears and call in a day.
      09-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
mikee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

You can go sealed or get one of the custom boxes that go in the corner just above the battery on our car. Has anyone seen the box on Ebay by ZENenclosures? They have them that are custom made to fit our cars
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

"Do I really need a sub?"

Only you can answer that question!
      09-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
canusaybimmy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black 2018 M4

Think I'm going to be in the samw boat as you soon. Upgrading the HIFI amp soon...used to having a sub in the back but I like my trunk space now. I'm thinking either a custom enclosure in the corner, or upgrading the subs under the seats. My assumption is a dedicated sub in the back will sound better...but I could be wrong.

"When I'm sick...I just stop being sick and be awesome instead...True Story."
Twitter: @Efrtls | Instagram: Efrtls
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canusaybimmy View Post
Think I'm going to be in the samw boat as you soon. Upgrading the HIFI amp soon...used to having a sub in the back but I like my trunk space now. I'm thinking either a custom enclosure in the corner, or upgrading the subs under the seats. My assumption is a dedicated sub in the back will sound better...but I could be wrong.
I have come to the conclusion that a dedicated sub in the trunk is essential. To that end, I have been in contact with Ken at Musicar and they have a great fabricated sub enclosure that will fit in the back right corner of the truck about the battery. The price is excellent and will be ordering this! Keeps my trunk space free and yet still keeps the specs recommended by JL Audio for my 10" W3v3.

Last edited by D's Bimmer; 09-12-2013 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0