E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Auto setting on climate control always shows on lowest fan speed? 2011 E90 w/ i-drive

08-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
edb5020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Auto setting on climate control always shows on lowest fan speed? 2011 E90 w/ i-drive

I noticed on my new 2011 E90 with i-drive that the fan speed setting when I have the climate control in AUTO stays at the lowest bar no matter how hard the fan is blowing or what temp I put it on. To raise the FAN SPEED in auto mode AND to see the display bars change I have to manually do so.

In my 2008 328 without i-drive when the climate control was set to AUTO mode it would show you what setting the fan speed was on, whether it adjusted it low or higher.

Any ideas on this guys?

Is this normal?

Anyone have any ideas on why it is this way?

2011 BMW 328i X-drive Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Oyster Leather/Light Burl Walnut Trim/Step/Premium Package/Sport Package/NAV/Harman Kardon Sound/Heated Steering Wheel/Xenon
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb5020 View Post
I noticed on my new 2011 E90 with i-drive that the fan speed setting when I have the climate control in AUTO stays at the lowest bar no matter how hard the fan is blowing or what temp I put it on. To raise the FAN SPEED in auto mode AND to see the display bars change I have to manually do so.

In my 2008 328 without i-drive when the climate control was set to AUTO mode it would show you what setting the fan speed was on, whether it adjusted it low or higher.

Any ideas on this guys?

Is this normal?

Anyone have any ideas on why it is this way?
It's normal. I noticed the same thing when I traded my 2008 for a 2011 a few weeks ago. Previously, when in Auto, one could not control fan speed. If the fan buttons were pressed the Auto function was disabled. The new system allows you to choose the fan speed while in Auto.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
edb5020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-MN View Post
It's normal. I noticed the same thing when I traded my 2008 for a 2011 a few weeks ago. Previously, when in Auto, one could not control fan speed. If the fan buttons were pressed the Auto function was disabled. The new system allows you to choose the fan speed while in Auto.
Yes, that makes perfect sense thank you! But then what is the AUTO mode for hahaha? Maybe just for switching bewteen footwell, front, etc.??

2011 BMW 328i X-drive Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Oyster Leather/Light Burl Walnut Trim/Step/Premium Package/Sport Package/NAV/Harman Kardon Sound/Heated Steering Wheel/Xenon
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb5020 View Post
Yes, that makes perfect sense thank you! But then what is the AUTO mode for hahaha? Maybe just for switching bewteen footwell, front, etc.??
I guess so, all it can do is control the distribution now right? It bothers me a little, though not as much as the cheap ass plastic sunvisors they switched to
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-MN View Post
Sort of... the new system allows you to set the "intensity" of the fan program, but not directly the fan speed. For example if you set the intensity to the first (lowest) setting the fan will still speed up and slow down on its own, just within a narrower and slower range than at higher settings.

I like a little more air flow even if the car is cooled off so I keep mine at the second notch in the settings. This way when the car is cooled off the system still keeps a good air flow on me.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Nr!qUe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 LCI 328i 6MT

Wow, thats interesting. I think that would be better. Its like an automatic manual mode i guess. the air temperature is automatically controlled while the user controls the intensity.
2009 BMW E90 328i | Xenons | MT | Space Gray | Beige-ette | CF Fabric Trim | iPod/USB | 20% Tints | Euro-Plate | Rear Fog Switch Lego Mod | Painted Reflectors | Performance Short-shift Kit | Style 197 Wheels | OEM Sport Suspension |
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
DTRJ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X4 M40I

HERE'S YOUR ANSWER

SI B 64 07 10
Heating and Air Conditioning July 2010
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Intensity of the IHKA Auto Mode Program

MODEL
E82, E88 (1 Series)

E9x (3 Series)

Vehicles produced from 8/10/09

SITUATION
The intensity of the air flow from the integrated automatic heating and air conditioning control panel (IHKA) is too strong or too weak in "Auto" mode.

CAUSE
The customer is not familiar with the new IHKA control panel. There is no fault with the IHKA system.

A new IHKA control panel was introduced on vehicles from the 2010 model year that included a new setting; this gives control over the air intensity in "Auto" mode. At the same time, the display operation was changed to display either "fan speed" in "Manual" mode, or "intensity" in "Auto" mode.

Customers are not aware that they should use the fan speed buttons when in "Auto" mode to set the air flow to their liking.

CORRECTION
Instruct the customer about the intensity of the Auto program function styles in the control panel of the IHKA system. Point out the section in the Owner's Manual that deals with this feature.

INFORMATION
See the attachment for the Owner's Manual and additional setting information.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
For information onl
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
MNTim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x35i xLine

On a related note, the problem I have with the "new" IHKA system is this: if it is in auto mode and for example you want more warm air blowing from the dash vents on to your freezing cold steering wheel, then when you push the dash vent button, the auto mode is disabled (as was the case in the previous version), but with the new system, the fan speed is now fixed. The next time you start your cold car it will blow cold air out of the dash at the last fan speed setting. On the previous system (and on my 4Runner, and on my wife's Infiniti), the fan speed will change with available heat even though the "auto" mode is off. With this new system, I am constantly adjusting the fan speed simply because I don't want the vent settings that the "auto" mode provides.

This is very poor design, imo. If anyone knows a way to get the new IHKA working like the old one, I'd love to hear it.
Appreciate 0