E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Non-sport to Sport

01-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Non-sport to Sport

Just wondering. If I wanted to upgrade my OEM non sport to Sport suspension, would I just buy someones old Sport springs and shocks?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

yes, that can work, but you would want to make sure that the person you are buying from has the same car as you (ie: 328i rwd sedan - 328i rwd sedan)

coupes and sedans have different height springs, and 335i's have a taller spring up front than a 328i because of the weight difference. XI cars can't use the front setup from RWD cars and vice versa. Each spring is marked with a tag, like D7, D5, C4, etc. There is a thread somewhere that put each spring tag with each specific e9x model. can't find it right now though.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y
yes, that can work, but you would want to make sure that the person you are buying from has the same car as you (ie: 328i rwd sedan - 328i rwd sedan)

coupes and sedans have different height springs, and 335i's have a taller spring up front than a 328i because of the weight difference. XI cars can't use the front setup from RWD cars and vice versa. Each spring is marked with a tag, like D7, D5, C4, etc. There is a thread somewhere that put each spring tag with each specific e9x model. can't find it right now though.
Ahh ok. I was wondering about the 335-328 usage. Good to know. Would I even be able to just order oem parts from a place like tischer?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by atown88 View Post
Ahh ok. I was wondering about the 335-328 usage. Good to know. Would I even be able to just order oem parts from a place like tischer?
BMW also has different part numbers depending on the options on the car i.e. a car with more options will weigh more and thus their springs may have a different spring rate than what you require.

Have you priced a new ZSP shock and spring set-up from Evan at Tischer? You might be surprised. Alternatively you might be better off looking into some good aftermarket springs and shocks that will offer similar performance. Eibach Pro Kit springs paired with Koni FSD shocks come to mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
BMW also has different part numbers depending on the options on the car i.e. a car with more options will weigh more and thus their springs may have a different spring rate than what you require.

Have you priced a new ZSP shock and spring set-up from Evan at Tischer? You might be surprised. Alternatively you might be better off looking into some good aftermarket springs and shocks that will offer similar performance. Eibach Pro Kit springs paired with Koni FSD shocks come to mind.
Yeah thats what I was thinking. I thought, "oh this guy is selling his sport setup for $200, thats a wrap." But if trying to find the perfect one for my car is more than just buying any Sport Sp/sh, then I might just look at that kit. You personally run that setup?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Yes you can order the exact springs for your car based on your VIN, from Tischer. Email Evan Winstead, give him your VIN, he'll give you the p/n and you can order it.

(Edit: well, that won't actually work, because you want the sport springs. You'll have to find a similar car that has sport package, and use its VIN instead of yours.)

For shocks, if buying new, it's cheaper to go OEM (or even aftermarket). You can get Sachs OEM shocks, which are the same part as from BMW. You can also get Bilstein B4 (essentially the same thing, again), or Bilstein HD, which are an upgrade in quality and are a little stiffer. Same with Koni Sports.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #7
DonJuan360
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

you seem to have the information here . I was thinking of doing the same thing because I did not want to lower my car too much . H&R or eibach seem to drop it too much nor do I want a harsh ride . about an half inch drop would be fine the maximum of an inch

I drive a shitty streets of new york what would you recommend ?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I have the parts for a 335.
I installed the BMW performance suspension and M3 control arms on my 09 M-Sport manual trans 335 coupe when I got it back in 09 so I have lots of stock parts in my basement I don't need. I would think someone with high miles would need them for stock replacement. All of these parts came off the car at about 1100 miles.

335 Front tension struts and lower control arms.
335 stock front sway bar and bushings.
Sport package front struts (the bottom has some imperfections from tapping them out of the hub that does not hamper functionality) with the dust cover, bump stops, and spring isolators.
Sport springs.

335 Rear guide rods and upper arms.
Rear sport shocks with the dust covers and upper shock mount bushings and lower spring isolators.
Sport springs.

Looking for $500 plus shipping.
      04-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
jxp0onj
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Just wondering. If I wanted to upgrade my OEM non sport to Sport suspension, would I just buy someones old Sport springs and shocks?
did you find springs yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

It's more than just springs.
      04-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxp0onj View Post
did you find springs yet?
No, I trashed the idea after this thread showed me it was as simple as buying any OEM Sport Spring/shocks, for they have to match my exact car. Looks like i'll be looking at those aftermarket spring/shock kits instead!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post

Hey man...trying to revive this and ask a question. I see that you mention 335i's having a taller spring up front than a 328i. However, do you know of any issues I might encounter if I try to install a 335i (E92) suspension on my 335i (E90)? Anything with the ride heights/spring rate/etc?

I sourced an entire sport suspension (control arms, springs, struts, sway bars, etc.) for a ridiculously low price and I couldn't pass it up. If the parts don't swap out favorably, I could always look to sell, so not the end of the world.

Looking forward to what you have to say. Thanks!

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuan360 View Post
you seem to have the information here . I was thinking of doing the same thing because I did not want to lower my car too much . H&R or eibach seem to drop it too much nor do I want a harsh ride . about an half inch drop would be fine the maximum of an inch

I drive a shitty streets of new york what would you recommend ?
FSD's - none better.

BMW sport springs. FSD's made to match - you'll be grinnin'!

Capt'n?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
mike-y
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebamf335i View Post
Hey man...trying to revive this and ask a question. I see that you mention 335i's having a taller spring up front than a 328i. However, do you know of any issues I might encounter if I try to install a 335i (E92) suspension on my 335i (E90)? Anything with the ride heights/spring rate/etc?

I sourced an entire sport suspension (control arms, springs, struts, sway bars, etc.) for a ridiculously low price and I couldn't pass it up. If the parts don't swap out favorably, I could always look to sell, so not the end of the world.

Looking forward to what you have to say. Thanks!
The front springs on the E90/E92 335i were the same iirc, at least for the automatic cars (both were D7). The rear E92 had D3 springs and the rear E90 had D4 springs. The D3 rear springs are shorter though, and were nearly an inch lower once I had them on the car, so I swapped them out for D4s and it looks much better on my E90 (it now sits level).

Though if you get lowering perches for the front springs (should be D7), and pair it with the lower D3 rears on the E90, the car may sit level, but will be lower than a stock E90 with sports suspension.

Also, one thing to note. The front strut guide on the sports suspension cars is a tad shorter than non-sport cars (little less than a quarter inch), which may cause the front to be slightly higher than with the sport strut guides. But I don't know if this was changed or not on later model cars (I haven't looked at this stuff in a couple years)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The front springs on the E90/E92 335i were the same iirc, at least for the automatic cars (both were D7). The rear E92 had D3 springs and the rear E90 had D4 springs. The D3 rear springs are shorter though, and were nearly an inch lower once I had them on the car, so I swapped them out for D4s and it looks much better on my E90 (it now sits level).

Though if you get lowering perches for the front springs (should be D7), and pair it with the lower D3 rears on the E90, the car may sit level, but will be lower than a stock E90 with sports suspension.

Also, one thing to note. The front strut guide on the sports suspension cars is a tad shorter than non-sport cars (little less than a quarter inch), which may cause the front to be slightly higher than with the sport strut guides. But I don't know if this was changed or not on later model cars (I haven't looked at this stuff in a couple years)
I was thinking about picking up the perches, so this might just confirm the need for them. Great information....much appreciated.

Also gives me some food for thoughts on the possibility of swapping D3s for D4s. Do you have any photos of how the car sits with this setup?

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
mike-y
United_States
Rep

here's a pic I snapped with my phone. didn't have enough space to get a direct side shot, but hopefully you can tell how low the car sits in this pic.

this is a 325i auto with D7 front springs on lowering perches, and D4 rears. The springs came off a 330i E90 sedan with sport package and auto transmission. This is also on the regular non sport front strut guides, though I have the sport strut guides at home, just haven't put them on yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think this is what happened to me. I bought some sport springs from my buddy who has an e90 325 and he didn't give me the shocks, so my other buddy who installed them put on his shocks from an e92 335. I bought the front perch, and I think it looks perfect. I'll take a pic and show the height. Way to revive an old thread! lol
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking about picking up the perches, so this might just confirm the need for them. Great information....much appreciated.

Also gives me some food for thoughts on the possibility of swapping D3s for D4s. Do you have any photos of how the car sits with this setup?

Just a reference as to what my car sits at now. Not sure if there is a difference between 335/325 springs, but as referenced above, I have e92 shocks and e90 springs, with SPP lowering perches. I had to lighten the photo so you can see the tire, as the shadow blends with the tire making it seem like a much bigger gap.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #19
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Just a reference as to what my car sits at now. Not sure if there is a difference between 335/325 springs, but as referenced above, I have e92 shocks and e90 springs, with SPP lowering perches. I had to lighten the photo so you can see the tire, as the shadow blends with the tire making it seem like a much bigger gap.
Thanks for sharing. That's a fantastic ride height...how's the ride? I actually have the shocks and springs from the E92. But it looks like the perches are going to be a necessity for me, so that my ass end isn't sitting dramatically lower than my front.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #20
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. That's a fantastic ride height...how's the ride? I actually have the shocks and springs from the E92. But it looks like the perches are going to be a necessity for me, so that my ass end isn't sitting dramatically lower than my front.
Thanks! The ride is good, much better and noticeable in comparison to the Non-sport ride. Yeah, before I put the perches on, it was at an OK height, but the perches really complete the look.
Appreciate 0