E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > h&r vs eibach pro?

05-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
shoopdawoop
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI Jet Black 335i

h&r vs eibach pro?

e90 lci 335i jet black

want a drop.
best shock/spring combo with respective springs? price comparison?

?/h&r vs ?/eibach-pro

drive from home to work, no intention on racing. looking for aggressive looks w/o hassling over speed bump

thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

hr goes a tiny bit lower than eibach pro. thats all you need to know to keep things simple. for shocks get koni yellows.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have the H&R Touring Cupkit (matching spring rate with shock damping).
I test drove my friend's car equipped with ST coil-overs.
IMO, the ST coil-overs are more comfortable. it sucks up the road bumps much better.

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTDOG View Post
I have had both setups, IMO I liked the eibachs better, I had them paired with eibach dampers, improved looks, handling and comfort http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...=Sport+Package

The H&R's will drop the front end a little lower, and give the car more of a raked stance. On both setups the rears stay about the same, IMO the H&R's rode a little stiffer and were not as comfortable.
I agree with this^. Having been on eibach and H&Rs (friends ride), the eibach's stance, while a smidge higher, is more even, and more compliant.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfan View Post
I have the H&R Touring Cupkit (matching spring rate with shock damping).
I test drove my friend's car equipped with ST coil-overs.
IMO, the ST coil-overs are more comfortable. it sucks up the road bumps much better.
These are the exact suspension setups I'm looking at, cause ST coilovers aren't that much more than the H&R Touring Kit. Tough decision. I honestly thought coilovers would be a rougher ride. Thanks for the info. How do you like your Touring Kit?

Anyway, back to the OP's topic, I suggest H&R over Eibach. I've researched for over a year now to try to make a good suspension decision, and I removed Eibach springs from my list due to the drop not being very nice. The H&R drop makes the car look more aggressive but is still subtle. The Eibach drop leaves too much gap up front, even with Sportline or Pro-Kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
These are the exact suspension setups I'm looking at, cause ST coilovers aren't that much more than the H&R Touring Kit. Tough decision. I honestly thought coilovers would be a rougher ride. Thanks for the info. How do you like your Touring Kit?

Anyway, back to the OP's topic, I suggest H&R over Eibach. I've researched for over a year now to try to make a good suspension decision, and I removed Eibach springs from my list due to the drop not being very nice. The H&R drop makes the car look more aggressive but is still subtle. The Eibach drop leaves too much gap up front, even with Sportline or Pro-Kit.
I like the kit. It gives the car an aggressive look like you said. (check my sig for pix).
Handling wise, the car is 100% city, so i can't be a good judge.
But it is composed during zic zac & quick lane change. It has almost zero body rolls.
Around the corners, it's sharp & predictable, not bouncy, quite confident.

Over small bumps & road imperfections, it's a little hard, but not harsh. Good thing i'm on 18". I gave my 73 y-o Dad a ride & he didn't complain 1 word. He felt asleep. Many many people felt asleep in my car. it's comfortable enough.

However, comparing to the ST coil-overs, my buddy car is riding on 19" wheels, BUT his ride is NOTICEABLE more comfortable over road bumps, small pot holes & uneven surface.

The ST coil-overs is better than the H&R touring cupkit in this segment & height adjustment.

if someone on a budget & want a perfect drop & firm ride (but not harsh), I'd advice on H&R touring cupkit.

I've heard that ST coil-overs quality isn't great, but besides that, for the money, it seems like a good choice.

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfan View Post
I like the kit. It gives the car an aggressive look like you said. (check my sig for pix).
Handling wise, the car is 100% city, so i can't be a good judge.
But it is composed during zic zac & quick lane change. It has almost zero body rolls.
Around the corners, it's sharp & predictable, not bouncy, quite confident.

Over small bumps & road imperfections, it's a little hard, but not harsh. Good thing i'm on 18". I gave my 73 y-o Dad a ride & he didn't complain 1 word. He felt asleep. Many many people felt asleep in my car. it's comfortable enough.

However, comparing to the ST coil-overs, my buddy car is riding on 19" wheels, BUT his ride is NOTICEABLE more comfortable over road bumps, small pot holes & uneven surface.

The ST coil-overs is better than the H&R touring cupkit in this segment & height adjustment.

if someone on a budget & want a perfect drop & firm ride (but not harsh), I'd advice on H&R touring cupkit.

I've heard that ST coil-overs quality isn't great, but besides that, for the money, it seems like a good choice.
Thank you for all the info. I did actually look at your posts several times. The H&R Touring kit does give a really nice drop. That's where I want my car to sit, but it's good to hear that ST V1 coilovers ride comfy as well. I'm sure each of these options will be more comfy than my ZSP.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 FBO

is h&r that harsh?

are the spring rates really high?
Appreciate 0