E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Possible Misfire??

07-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
racerg35335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Space gray 335i coupe

Possible Misfire??

Hello all. Thanks in advance for any responses that may help me diagnose my problem. My car is a 2007 e92 335i with 47k miles. Original plugs as I have recently purchased the car

Just before I was flying out of town last week my car picked up what I am assuming is a misfire (and the service engine light came on). I have not been home in order to have diagnostics run on it nor do I want to spend the money on a BT tool b/c I plan to pick up a JB4 soon. Currently my only mod is a jb+ only intsalled a few weeks ago.

I went WOT at about 3k and just as boost was building the car picked up a misfire. Almost a vibration. It continued to do this under normal driving and the CEL came on. I turned the car off and restarted with the same problem. Basically, it feels like I am on 5 cylinders. I went ahead and ordered plugs and a coilpack that should be on my doorstep when I get home. I am just hoping it is not an injector or worse. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Would a plug or coilpack go out all at once like that? I have had bad coilpacks on other vehicles and it felt like they would go on and off before they went bad completely. I am on vacation and just wanted to get an idea of what i will be dealing with when i get home. thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Cisco661
Cisco661
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Monaco Blue 330I

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Sounds likely the culprit is a bad ignition coil but I've heard few on here have issues after installing a JB. Good luck with the fix.
      07-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerg35335 View Post
Hello all. Thanks in advance for any responses that may help me diagnose my problem. My car is a 2007 e92 335i with 47k miles. Original plugs as I have recently purchased the car

Just before I was flying out of town last week my car picked up what I am assuming is a misfire (and the service engine light came on). I have not been home in order to have diagnostics run on it nor do I want to spend the money on a BT tool b/c I plan to pick up a JB4 soon. Currently my only mod is a jb+ only intsalled a few weeks ago.

I went WOT at about 3k and just as boost was building the car picked up a misfire. Almost a vibration. It continued to do this under normal driving and the CEL came on. I turned the car off and restarted with the same problem. Basically, it feels like I am on 5 cylinders. I went ahead and ordered plugs and a coilpack that should be on my doorstep when I get home. I am just hoping it is not an injector or worse. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Would a plug or coilpack go out all at once like that? I have had bad coilpacks on other vehicles and it felt like they would go on and off before they went bad completely. I am on vacation and just wanted to get an idea of what i will be dealing with when i get home. thanks again.
When you read the code out...Check cylinder that has misfire and move that coil to next cylinder and start it back up just to make sure the misfire moves to that one and you will know its the coil. Idk what they run for your 335 but I got mine from bapgeon locally for my 330i for 24$ (bosch).
      07-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
W.WCherry
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

I had a misfire code on my car about 8 months ago. As soon as I would get above 3000rpm, the car would go into limp mode and throw the misfire code. In my case, it was a bad injector.

If you aren't going into limp mode, you might get lucky and it could just be the spark plug/ coilpack.
Performance |Dinan Stage 3 Software|Dinan IC|Dinan OC|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|Koni FSD Shocks and Struts|Eibach Spings|Hotchkis Anti Sway Bars|6MT|Style |Aero Lip|Aero Rear|M3 Spoiler|BMW Gloss Black Kidney Grills|BMW Aluminum Pedals|BMW LCI Tail Lights|HID Fog Lights|25%Tint|Advan AVS Model F7 19" Rims|Lux V3 AEs|Premium|Sport|Comfort Access|

Last edited by W.WCherry; 07-16-2012 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
racerg35335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Space gray 335i coupe

It never went into limp mode so I hope you are correct. This car is getting awfully expensive quickly. I am starting to miss my G35. I will be home on Tuesday and will hopefully know on Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Corso View Post
I had a misfire code on my car about 8 months ago. As soon as I would get above 3000rpm, the car would go into limp mode and throw the misfire code. In my case, it was a bad injector.

If you aren't going into limp mode, you might get lucky and it could just be the spark plug/ coilpack.
+1

This would be the probable cause...

Keep us posted and good luck!
Appreciate 0