E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Where to get lower than stock spring rates?

08-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Where to get lower than stock spring rates?

I'm looking for lower spring rates and longer springs for a e92 335i that should be able to keep the tires on the gravel/ice/snow as much as possible in long jumps and very uneven roads. The amount of suspension travel would be critical. I believe the car could benefit of a proper slightly increased ground clearance. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Going offroading? haha

Swift springs are the best and come in many sizes/ rates. I would contact Harold @ HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
I'm looking for lower spring rates and longer springs for a e92 335i that should be able to keep the tires on the gravel/ice/snow as much as possible in long jumps and very uneven roads. The amount of suspension travel would be critical. I believe the car could benefit of a proper slightly increased ground clearance. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Going offroading? haha

Swift springs are the best and come in many sizes/ rates. I would contact Harold @ HP.
Just going to have a small rallycross stage with huge jumps
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

I would go with some custom built or long travel coilovers and Swift springs. Im sure HP can help or someone from one of the coilover companies. Depends how serious you are and how much you are budgeting but anything is possible. I would think you will need a custom setup.

Will probably want skidplates as well as chassis reinforcing and possibly a rollcage depending on how serious. You will also want to reinforce the area where the front struts mount to the sheet metal. You will most likely crack it leaving the ground and landing hard.

If you are just looking to take your daily driver on a dirt road like dukes of hazard I wouldnt recommend it. Not the car to do it in.

Quote:
Just going to have a small rallycross stage with huge jumps
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Going offroading? haha

Swift is a great spring technically. The only worry would be the fronts, since the stock rate (145lb/in) is so much less than the lowest rate Swift offers (224lbs/inch) as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

You would probably want a higher spring rate if the car will be leaving the ground and hitting jumps. Soft will be very bouncy and not great.

Quote:
Swift is a great spring technically. The only worry would be the fronts, since the stock rate (145lb/in) is so much less than the lowest rate Swift offers (224lbs/inch) as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

softer springs would also bottom out pretty hard upon landing any sweet jumps. Damper and spring tuning is critical on off road situations when the car leaves the ground. if you don't have the right setup, your car will rotate in the air and become a lawn dart.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #8
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
softer springs would also bottom out pretty hard upon landing any sweet jumps. Damper and spring tuning is critical on off road situations when the car leaves the ground. if you don't have the right setup, your car will rotate in the air and become a lawn dart.
Softer springs need to be long enough for adequate suspension travel.
Appreciate 0